Search results

1. trickg

Question for Singing Drummers

In recent months, I've been getting involved more and more with my church's praise team as a vocalist. Initially it started off with very simple, straight forward songs because as many of you know, singing and playing drums takes a whole different skill set and approach. Frankly, I don't...
  2. trickg

Corinthian Drum Marketing

So my adult daughter just asked me about a line by Ricardo Montalban in the movie Spy Kids 3-D. He makes a comment about his wheelchair, stating, "And don't touch the wheelchair. It's genuine Corinthian leather." She didn't get it, but I immediately got the inside joke and reference. For...
  3. trickg

Christmas Choices

So the missus wants to get me something drum related for Christmas, budget level around $150-$200. I've got a couple of things in mind, but I'd love some suggestions, or some help choosing. Right now this is what I'm looking at: Tama Round Rider XL Drum Throne. $169 (I'd love to get this...
  4. trickg

Should I buy this HipGig Kit?

I have the opportunity to buy a Yamaha HipGig drum kit, and there's a bit of a story behind why I want it, aside from the fact that they are pretty cool and Yamaha no longer makes them. As I've mentioned before, I'm a professional level trumpet player, and for a few years I was playing trumpet...
  5. trickg

Under Rated or Fairly Unknown Drummers

There's another thread on here that has kind of devolved into the subject of what constitutes "good" drumming, and that immature drummers tend to screw things up by over-playing, adding unnecessary fills, and that kind of thing. Out of that discussion, one of the names that popped up as a...
  6. trickg

Music from A Star Is Born

I took the missus to "A Star is Born" this weekend. I thought the film was very good, even though there were no major plot surprises. Anyone who knows the premise of the original is going to have a good idea of what this new envisioning will be. In any case, I was very encouraged by the music...
  7. trickg

Tama Iron Cobra 600 Compared to Older 900

Hey everyone. I wanted to start this thread because I'm *this* close to being able to have a near duplicate setup of gear so that I can have a gig kit in the cases, ready to go, and a practice kit at home. My kick pedal is an older Tama Iron Cobra 900 Rolling Glide. This pedal was initially...
  8. trickg

Tama Starphonic Brass Snare

So I recently learned that this drum existed - I'm not sure how I missed it for so long. I've kind of been coveting a Ludwig Black Beauty for a while, but there are a couple of things that keep me from taking that plunge: 1.) price - $750 for the 6.5" is pretty steep for a single drum 2.) The...
  9. trickg

Kick Case/Bag Question

I recently picked up a small bop sized kit, and I'm going to get some bags for the drums I don't currently have cases for, particularly the 14x14 tom and the 18x14 kick drum. So here's the question - for those of you who use a kick drum riser, do you leave the riser on the drum when you pack it...