Search results

1. Armor of Light

My First Band has ended. Kind of. Need advice..

Long story short: Started as a 5 piece with 2 singer/guitarists 2 years ago. Me & Bass are 30+ year friends, but first band together. Bass & all other members are friends and have played in various formations for years. So I know 1 guy. The singers faded away, so we carry on as a 3-piece. I...
  2. Armor of Light

Lemme see your "Drummer's Face"!

You know the one: Snarling, mouth open, eyes rolled back, etc.. I currently don't have one to share, but I will have my daughter take a few while I'm practicing this weekend.
  3. Armor of Light

Georgia Phil drum heads?

Anyone try them? I wanted some ebony resonant heads for a project, and these popped up on Amazon. I'm thinking they are plenty good enough for the resonant, but I may just try them on the batter side, too. A 3-pack (12, 13, 16) is only 30.00..!
  4. Armor of Light

Just had my very first gig..!

Just a very casual party setting on a lake. A few people / groups got up and did a short set. Out of our 5-piece group, the 2 singers couldn't make it, so the power trio decided to put together some songs that the bass player could sing. Hashed it out for 2 rehearsals, and sounded pretty good...
  5. Armor of Light

Possible to use Pearl Opti-Mount with other tom brackets?

I'd like to give them a try, but don't want to convert everything over to the tube style rods. All I'd need is to replace the Pearl tom brackets on the Opti-Mounts with something that accepts an L-Rod. The problem I see is that the Pearl tom mounts are a 3 hole design, and the L rod tom mounts I...
  6. Armor of Light

Why the h*** do they put those barcode stickers on cymbals??

They don't peel off! Very frustrating to people who like things neat.
  7. Armor of Light

Is there a way to search craigslist for the entire country?

Trying to find some matching pieces to round out my kit..
  8. Armor of Light

Best way to dust the drum kit..?

I have black, lacquer finish shells, which show dust a lot. What is the best product or technique for dusting those things? Do you keep the shells dusted, or do you not bother? Thanks
  9. Armor of Light

First ever audition..wish me luck..!?!

I'm 50. I'm hoping it's not too late to start! Any advice? From the ad, it looks like these guys are on the same wavelength with music, attitude, and commitment level. Hope they are not expecting anything too fancy! I've never been fancy, and I'm still rusty from my last layoff.
  10. Armor of Light

Design for your "Signature stick"..Cuz you are famous!!

There are so many out already. What's a few more? Describe what yours would be. Mine: 17" long Ø.585~Ø.600 Maple or Hickory I guess Kind of like a 5B tip with a slight barrel shape added Gradual, long taper For all I know, it already exist and I just have not found it yet!
  11. Armor of Light

Drumming footwear

What do you wear on your feet? I wear socks, usually.. Never tried barefoot, but yuck! I never go barefoot. I've noticed some folks wearing wrestling type shoes, or what appear to be dancing shoes. Do you wear anything specific, and if so...why? Is it best to always play with the same...
  12. Armor of Light

I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

For me: Red drums. Wraps, lacquer, fades, solids, stripes, sparkles...don't care. I just don't like red drums! How 'bout you?
  13. Armor of Light

Setting up / Playing opposite...advantages?

Is it helpful for developing non-dominant hand and foot to st up and play as a southpaw (if you are a righty, that is..) Does it do more damage than its worth?
  14. Armor of Light

Matt Sorum

I searched for a Matt Sorum topic, but came up empty..! Just watched him kick the hell out of the Buddy Rich Big Band. Awesome drumming. I've only heard him as part of Neurotic Outsiders and the Buddy Rich thing. Oh, and the Cult I think, too. Was his drumming with G&R anything less that great?
  15. Armor of Light

S****y albums done by great bands..

Even great bands have some stinkers..they can't all be winners! Some that come to mind: X factor - Iron Maiden Ain't Misbehavin' - U.F.O. Never Say Die - Sabbath ..any more?
  16. Armor of Light

Ever been called a hipster?

I'm 47, and this engineering intern asks me what I'm listening to. So..I tell him. It was Bob Mould I think. Now, I've talked to enough kids (sorry..young adults) to know that most of them have never heard of Rush or Deep Purple, let alone Bob Mould. So he laughs and calls me a hipster. I had...
  17. Armor of Light

Do you tune your bass drum to a specific note?

or just a nice, low, heart pounding thump? I like the thump meself..
  18. Armor of Light

So, I just went to my first metal show in a long time..

It was great! I took my 16yo son to see As I Lay Dying and The Devil Wears Prada. I am familiar with some of that style of music, but it was a real treat to see those drummers in action! They sure make it look easy. The day after when I sat down at the kit to tap a little bit, my son says..."I...
  19. Armor of Light

What do you guys do with your old cymbals that you have upgraded?

My kit came with ZBT's all around, and as I replace them.. I wouldn't mind keeping the 20" ride for a crash/ride I guess, but do you just keep them with the kit and have more sounds? Do you 'modify' them to get an intersting sound? Sell them? Use them in the bathroom to set the plunger on? What?
  20. Armor of Light

Removing outer wraps and staining the wood.

I have a birch kit, and I've always been curious if it would look good as natural stained wood shells. Any experience with something like this?