Search results

1. Bonzo_CR

Latin learner's listening list !

Hi all, I have dabbled with Latin beats over the years. I know a few basics, I have the odd latin book, I can play a basic example of Songo, Mozambique, Bembe, Bossa Nova... etc. Now I would like to spend some time listening to more latin music to get more of an idea of how these beats are...
  2. Bonzo_CR

Ever bought the same item twice?

Like many of us, I spent a long time trying ride cymbals, buying and selling, looking for 'the one'. So far my 'most best favourite' is the K 22 Dark Medium, which I found about 5 years ago and I still love it. I actually liked it so much I bought a second one about a year later, 'just in...
  3. Bonzo_CR

What cymbal size do you have most of?

Hi all, Over the years I have changed tastes and bought a cymbal or two here and there, and I just noticed that I have acquired a lot of 20" cymbals. I think I have been looking for versatility, maybe chasing my perfect crash/ride or something. Anyway, somehow I now have more 20" cymbals...
  4. Bonzo_CR

Weird reason for trying that...

Now and again, in an idle moment I think about how I could make the ultimate lightweight kit. Like "traveling to the gig on the underground train" light. Up to now, part of this plan has involved lightweight hardware. A while back I got a lightweight hardware pack, and the cymbal stands are...
  5. Bonzo_CR

So I came home from the drum shop with...

Nothing. I had money in my pocket. The family was away, and I had two hours to try every bit of gear in the store. I took a few of my snares and cymbals to calibrate my ears. I was ready to BUY NEW GEAR. Among the gear I tried out (meaning I set it up on a kit and played it) was: K Con...
  6. Bonzo_CR

A little bit of drum improv

Hi all, After enjoying lots of videos of playing posted by everyone else on the site, I think it's about time I posted some playing of my own! So here's a couple of minutes of me noodling around on the kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOzhw5YY0M
  7. Bonzo_CR

'Playing-in' a Cymbal: Real or Myth?

Hi all, From time to time I have heard folks saying that a cymbal they like sounds better now it's 'played-in'. Well, I have noticed my tastes have changed over the years, and what I look for in a ride/crash/hats now is different than 5 or 10 years ago. But I've never noticed that any of my...
  8. Bonzo_CR

New snare wires - stretch?

I just installed a new set of snare wires on my Pearl FFS about a week ago. Ever since I changed them, the new wires seem to be loose after a bit of playing. Now it could be that the tensioner is loosening (and I know what to do to fix that), but this is the first time I've changed snare...
  9. Bonzo_CR

Drum store tourism

Hi all, I live in an area that has some drum stores that are OK, but nothing special. Last week I had to be in the Chicago area for my day job, and before I left I did a bit of research to find out if there were any drum stores in the area worth visiting. Well I found a great drumstore...