Search results

1. Hollywood Jim

Find Joy in Playing at the Level You Are Currently At

I run a weekly open mic jam. I watch a lot of drummers and other musicians play at jams. And I always evaluate their playing. It is hard to not do that. If nothing else I need to know how good they are as I put together groups of players for my jam. I never make negative comments about...
  2. Hollywood Jim

Tama Big Black Steel Drum Set

I recently became aware of this all steel shell, limited edition, Tama drum set. Apparently it was released around June of this year. On the YouTube videos I've seen the tone sounds pretty good. (No surprise because Tama would not produce a bad sounding video of their drums.) I want to know...
  3. Hollywood Jim

Hey Administrators - Advertisements

Hey Administrators: I understand the need for advertising on the forum. Ads are now showing up in between comments on a thread. That's ok it's not too annoying on my home computer. BUT, on my Iphone those ads in between the comments are so large that I only have a tiny space to view the...
  4. Hollywood Jim

Drumstick Panic !

Last Saturday I was working with some contact cement. I got some on my fingers and hands. Alcohol and mineral spirits would not take it off my hands. So I turned to my trusty lacquer thinner. The thinner worked great. However, a couple of hours later I was playing drums at a gig and I had...
  5. Hollywood Jim

Creepy Circus Drum Set

Here is my latest creation. A good friend of mine wanted me to create a special drum set for her. She said she liked skulls and evil clowns. But that was all she would tell me. She left the rest up to me. I created this story line: These drums were originally used in the circus band for...
  6. Hollywood Jim

Evaluating The Playing Of Others

Being a drummer, when I listen to bands play, I listen closely to the drummer. Without even thinking about it I analyze his or her playing. I try not to judge the drummer’s technique. I try to not evaluate the quality of the drummer’s sound and playing. But it is very difficult to listen...
  7. Hollywood Jim

My New Civil War Drum Set

I just finished creating my new drum set. It is a new Slingerland Concert King set I purchased a couple of months ago. It is a 1999 to 2002 NOS (new old stock) drum set. I neglected to photograph the set in its new “before” condition. But it looked like this first picture, except it was brown...
  8. Hollywood Jim

Could This Be Our Friend Bo?

I don't know why this just showed up on my Facebook News Feed, but it did. Could this be Bo? I don't see how someone could play the drums with those gloves on?!?!? https://youtu.be/0-l0lbl2MYI .
  9. Hollywood Jim

Base Drum volume. HELP Please talk me down off this ledge.

I’ve have this idea in my head for a long time and it just won’t go away. I want to jump on this and experiment with this idea. So I thought if I share it with the gang here on this forum, you’ll either talk me out of it or encourage me to experiment with it. Here is my plan: Buy a 22 inch...
  10. Hollywood Jim

Pain In My Thumb. Oh no, not another one of those threads.

No this is different. This is what happens when you get old. I’m 69 years old. I’ve been gigging once or twice a month. Last month I picked up a weekly gig every Tuesday night. The muscles in my right lower thumb area started hurting. Very sore. Not when I play but when I open and close...
  11. Hollywood Jim

Too Much 2 & 4

I thought I’d share this new “ah ha” moment I had. I was trained to provide the backbeat for the band. When doing a drum fill in the song, the goal was to get back to the 2 & 4 as soon as possible. Always provide the click for the band. When I first started playing the drums in a band, I...
  12. Hollywood Jim

Pearl Music City Custom.... Whaaaat?

I was in my local Guitar Center today. I spotted a nice set of drums. Pearl Music City Custom in White Marine Pearl wrap. They had MRV shells, 4-ply Maple with reinforcement rings. They sounded pretty good. Kind of vintage sounding, which I like for my blues gigs. Although they could have...
  13. Hollywood Jim

Some Things Are Just Too Funny

This is too funny and it's real. I laughed out loud when I read this: NAMM 2018: Harmonic Hendrix Home Guitars are built out of wood salvaged from Jimi’s childhood home...
  14. Hollywood Jim

Drum Hardware Configuration Dilemma

It’s fun to be a drummer! I think drummers have a greater choice in instrument configuration and more available toys than other musicians have. For sure we have a lot more physical “stuff” on stage than other musicians. I play a standard set-up just like you would see in a drum catalog...
  15. Hollywood Jim

High Hat Click

Is there any way to create a loud hi hat click? If I stomp hard on the pedal then it's loud enough. Why don't they make some some sort of clutch that snaps that top cymbal down harder? Any ideas on how to get my hi hat to be louder? I use 14 inch Piaste rude hi hat cymbals. .
  16. Hollywood Jim

Evaluating Other Drummers

Whenever I watch a live band play I always evaluate how well the drummer plays. I always critique his or her playing. Their technique, sound, tempo, volume and how the drum part fits into the song. I also evaluate the singer and other instruments. But for sure I thoroughly critique the...
  17. Hollywood Jim

Stick Tube

I have three sticks of each size in my stick bag. One spare in case I break a stick. But I like to carry one new pair of each size in my drum hardware bag just in case. I have always worried that these new sticks might get bent because I use a flexible bag. So I just made myself a...
  18. Hollywood Jim

Yamaha 50th Anniversary

How come nobody told me about this drum set!!! I'd love to have one. I could sell my house and buy one. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/drum_sets/50th_anniversary_kit/index.html .
  19. Hollywood Jim

Amplifying Acoustic Drums

I need some opinions from you drummers. In the 1960’s I played drums in a rock band. The guitar and keyboard amplifiers were placed behind the drums, or along side the drums. At that time I was able to play loud enough to mix my sound level properly with the other players. We played loud...
  20. Hollywood Jim

Hanging Cymbals

Hey Drummers: I want to mount a cymbal with the cymbal stand on top and the cymbal hanging below it, like this: How do I keep the wing nut (under the cymbal) from coming lose? Is there special cymbal mount hardware I need? Thanks......... .