Search results

1. P

Using a crash as a ride

I'm all about crashing on rides, but I'm curious about riding on crashes--that is, using a large crash cymbal as a dedicated ride. In my search for the right Turk-ish ride, I've narrowed it down to four options with the size-to-weight ratio I want: - Bosphorus Master Ride 22" - Sabian HHX...
  2. P

Istanbul Agop Consistency?

I recently bought a 20" Traditional Thin crash. It came with one small bent place along the edge which appears to be from hammering during manufacturing. Also, the cymbal's weight isn't evenly distributed. It is heavier on one side than the other. I noticed it leaning on the stand, and when I...
  3. P

Thoughts on Sabian AA Apollo?

I didn't pay much attention to the Big & Uglies when they came out, but have recently become interested in the 22" Apollo. I currently play a 21" Bash Ride, which I really love, but there are times when I would like something bigger, darker, and dirtier. My question is, is the Apollo useful...
  4. P

Busted snare reso?

This is a new one on me. I was playing this afternoon and notice an odd change in the way my snare sounded, almost as if the snares had been dropped, but not quite. I flipped the snare over (a Yamaha Beech Custom, 14x5), and saw that the reso head had busted...or ruptured, really. I'm not sure...
  5. P

New Hats--HHX Groove Hats or Dream Contact Hats?

I've finally sold off my AA Medium Hats, which I just never quite warmed up to. I'm now looking to get one or the other of these two hats in the 14" version. My dilemma is basically this: I've always loved Sabian, and I know that the Groove Hats have a solid reputation and are going to be a...
  6. P

Sabian AAX Freq Hats?

Is there anyone who had a chance to see/play these on the Cymbal Vote tour? They sound great in the demos, but those vids aren't necessarily representative of how they truly sound. They seemed to be designed to be sort of naturally EQ'd, which is cool in theory. Just curious if anybody has any...
  7. P

FYI: Amazon's good deal on a Sabian AA crash

Just wanted to post this for anyone on the lookout for a good deal (i.e., everyone). Amazon has a Sabian AA medium thin 16" crash, at $136.85. Only catch is there's just one left...
  8. P

Sabian AA Mood Ride?

Sabian AA Moon Ride? I came across this cymbal earlier today while doing some eBay window shopping. Greenbrier Percussion has six of these listed for sale. They sound nice and certainly look interesting, but a Google search only pulls up the eBay listings. Anybody have any...
  9. P

Two-ply reso heads?

I recently changed all of the heads, top and bottom, on my Yamaha Beech Custom kit. I'd played them for years with coated G2s and the factory resos, and had to do a little research before choosing reso heads. I decided on buying G2 clears for top and bottom. I'd read that, while conventional...
  10. P

How much does the bottom hi hat matter?

First post here. I've been reading the forums for a while and have found them immensely helpful. I have a (possibly dumb) question about hi hats. After playing cheaper hi hats for years (B8 Pros), I recently bought a pair of Sabian AA Medium 14" hats. I like them a lot, but last night was...