Search results

1. D

Good cymbals for Cajon playing?

Looking for a nice small cymbal to add to my Cajon set up. Something on the darker side and that obviously sounds good when slapped by hand. Just for occasional accents, don't want it to overpower the cajon or ring out forever. My short list includes the 12" Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash, 16"...
  2. D

WTB: Yamaha Rock Tour 13" Tom

I've been searching for the 13", preferably in the smoke sunburst (textured ash) finish, but I'll take any color.
  3. D

Drums/Percussion in "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow?

I've always wondered what kind of drums/percussion are used in the song "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow? Congas, Djembe, anyone know? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1bZLh4mJA Thanks.
  4. D

Ludwig Legacy in Emerald Sparkle Fade Finish

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the Emerald Sparkle Fade finish? I don't see it on Ludwig's website, so has it been discontinued? I see one kit on eBay and some stock pictures but I haven't seen any other real pics or info on it...
  5. D

Today's Fattest Sounding Kits?

What are some of today's fattest and warmest sounding kits on the market?
  6. D

Hanging Toms vs. Floor Toms - Yamaha Hexrack

I'm scoping out my new kit and have decided on the new Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple in 22 12 13 14 16 sizes with 2 up 2 down, but I'm torn between getting traditional leg floor toms for the 14 and 16, or going with hanging toms. I have a Hexrack II system that I'll be using, and I figure why...
  7. D

Favorite Drumsticks for Recording/Studio?

I'm heading into the studio in about 2 weeks- curious to hear some favorite sticks for studio work, particularly rock/hard rock. Tip shape? Tip material? Diameter? I know that barrel tips are known to be good for studio work.
  8. D

DW Collectors Maple vs. Yamaha PHX Maple

Which would you choose and why?
  9. D

Best 2 up 2 down Sizes for Rock?

I want to get a new kit with 2 up and 2 down. I'll probably be using Yamaha's Hex Rack II system for the rack toms. But I can't settle on the sizes. I'm playing rock/hard rock. What are you favorite setups?
  10. D

China Size 18 or 20"?

I'm going into the studio next month with my band, I'm not much of a china cymbal kind of guy but one of our tunes really calls for it sparsely in the song. It's not metal, more like rock, pop rock. I'm a Paiste guy (2002 & Giant Beat), and I'm thinking of picking up either a 2002 China or...
  11. D

Good Store to buy Yamaha Drums?

I'm looking to order some new Yammies, Absolute Maple but I'm wondering if there are any known stores that won't rip you off and have good service for ordering? I've tried a few but they are slow and unresponsive when asking for quotes, and I'm not sure the prices were the best. I live on the...
  12. D

DW Performance vs Yamaha Absolute Maple

I have a nice set of Ludwig drums that I've been gigging with for the past 2 years, they will always be my main kit for recording and big stage, but I am looking at getting another kit that is a little more compact that I can use as my small/medium stage/road kit. My Luddies are great, but they...
  13. D

Roland V-drums TD-30K vs. TD-30KV

I'm in the market for a new e-kit, and I love the Roland v-drums but I can't really figure out the differences between the td-30K vs. td-30KV. What don't you get in the 30K that you get with the KV, and what will I really notice in the sound? I know the KV comes with more drums, and is better...
  14. D

How do you act when playing? Stage presence

What do you do when drumming during a show? Do you smile? shake your head? Stick tricks? I feel like I need to be more animated when drumming, but it's difficult to know what to do. I usually just smile or chew gum, but I think this is boring for people to watch. I honestly don't feel the need...
  15. D

Which heads would you use for recording?

I'm going in the studio soon and I'm in the process of experimenting with drum heads and finding that sound that fits my band's music and my kit. First off, I play original Hard / Classic Rock similar to bands like Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Deep Purple... you get...
  16. D

Anyone know what heads Alex Van Halen used in-studio in his heyday?

Wondering if there's any knowledge out there of what Alex Valen generally used when recording?
  17. D

What is the black thing on the bottom of most hi-hats? Swivel base/tension?

I feel like an idiot asking this, but I'm going to finally man up and ask. I have a Ludwig LM917HH hi-hat stand, and just above the footboard there's this black plastic thing that screws up and down. What is this thing? Is it the tension setting? I know this stand has a "swivel-base" but I'm...
  18. D

Remo Coated Emperor vs. Vintage Emperor

I have a Ludwig Keystone kit (13, 16 &18 floors, Bonham setup) with vintage coated emperors on the toms. I haven't heard them close mic'd yet but I don't think they sound great to my ear, they sound maybe a little too vintage-ey if that makes sense, kind of ringey but they are tuned correctly. I...
  19. D

Recording Drums: Hours per average song?

Going into the studio next month with the band to record our EP of 6 tracks (songs, hard rock) professionally. I've got my stuff down pretty well but not extremely experienced when it comes to going into a real studio and laying down the tracks. We're trying to figure out how much time to book...
  20. D

Ludwig Classic Maple vs. Keystone vs. Legacy Classic

Hi, I'm interested in buying a high-end Ludwig kit very soon but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out which one is right for me. I know there's no substitute to actually sitting down and playing them, but until I can do that- looking for some help here. My band plays mainly Hard Rock and...