Search results

1. Zero Mercury Drummer

Anybody tried Alesis Crimson Mesh

I really like V-Drums but they are just too much money for me. Alesis seems to have stepped up with better sounds, which were the weakness with previous kits I had heard. Anybody tried the Crimson Mesh? There is a vid here that sounds pretty good...
  2. Zero Mercury Drummer

Thoughts on jamming over the Internet

Since I am separated from my bandmates by some distance, we are hoping to get set up with a remote jamming capability. (My heart flutters when I consider that I can just walk to my drum room for rehearsal rather than spending hours lugging gear). Has anybody tried "Jamkazam" and their little...
  3. Zero Mercury Drummer

Shattered illusions

What illusions did you have as a younger person that are now completely shattered? When I was a teenager reading interviews in Modern Drummer- I always thought that every drummer I read about was famous and living their fantasy- at least able to support themselves. I always thought it would be...
  4. Zero Mercury Drummer

Why is the drumset considered a generic instrument?

The drumset is continually treated like a piece of stage hardware rather than a highly personalized, expressive instrument. ("hey, you don't mind sharing kits, do you?") It is such a struggle to be able to use your own kit- venues and soundmen consider them a generic part of the stage backdrop...
  5. Zero Mercury Drummer

When you're having a bad night...

Let's say your day wasn't so great. You had a flat tire and your paycheck didn't clear. We've all had that gig where you're not feeling it. At the gig that night, you are uninspired. Your attempts at musical greatness leave you frustrated. The crowd seems bored. Do you a. Gnash your teeth...
  6. Zero Mercury Drummer

Keeping stands/drums in the same position

I recently ditched my drum rack for stands, but having issues keeping things positioned (I have a five piece kit with five e-pads). I always tell myself it will be easy to get it right at the show, but always find myself with stuff in odd positions. Turns out there are a lot of variables, like...
  7. Zero Mercury Drummer

My personal list of rock and roll's top cowbell moments

Don't be hatin'... ;) And I know that the drummer might not have played the cowbell in studio, but he or she gets the credit. In honor of the news that Mike Portnoy will be replacing the late AJ Pero on the new Twisted Sister tour, the ZM drummer presents you his original and totally biased...
  8. Zero Mercury Drummer

MIDI and triggering questions

I am just getting into MIDI triggering. I've got an old Yamaha DTX brain running through an Alesis IO-4 into Acid Music Studio. I also have Cubase. The audio signal is coming through fine on ACID I am also getting a MIDI signal in ACID. It's just triggering a cheesy Soft Synth sound but it's...
  9. Zero Mercury Drummer

What is your opinion of this Billy Cobham review?

This Washington Post blogger didn't like the show much.. This is not an invitation to criticize the author, just wondering what the take is on his comments of "indulgence" and BC being too loud. (I missed the show, but got to see Bozzio solo drumming the night before! DC is busting with...
  10. Zero Mercury Drummer

Producers killed instrumentalists

Something in Bill Bruford's book got me thinking- at some point in time, producers took over the art and business of music-making from instrumentalists. Does anybody else get a little miffed by the fact that instrumentalists, especially drummers, have been relegated to somewhat anonymous...
  11. Zero Mercury Drummer

Need forum wisdom (fusion "standards")

What would you consider the standard Fusion classics? I am working on a project. Artists I am thinking of would be: Billy Cobham Chick Corea Miles Davis Bill Connors Bill Bruford Mike Stern Weather Report Mahavishnu Pat Metheny Jeff Beck Vital Information But what songs are their classics?
  12. Zero Mercury Drummer

Inspiration from odd places (stay drunk on drumming)

Has your drumming ever been inspired by something non-musical, or not related to music? I've been reading "Zen in the Art of Writing" by Ray Bradbury. It's a fantastic book about forgetting about the rules or what anybody thinks, and just expressing yourself. Here is a passage. Other than my...
  13. Zero Mercury Drummer

"Nobody cares about the drummer, except for the Rush guy."

A non-musician said that to me recently. This might be borne out in observing that most non-musicians talk more about Peart's drumset than his drumming. Not trying to be negative, but I think its true that most people think of the drums as part of the backdrop. I believe 99% of the people out...
  14. Zero Mercury Drummer

Electronic pads are so loud...

I recently moved into a house, one major reason being I didn't think I could get away with playing my electronic kit in an apartment. The Yamaha rubber pads are damn loud! Standing outside, the bass drum sounds like someone banging a sledgehammer. I think I might have to break out some mesh...
  15. Zero Mercury Drummer

Got a hip replacement

It's been two weeks since I got a new hip. Ironically, a good friend of mine is also a serious drummer and is getting his hip done. Mine was from motorcycles and his is from ice skating. I know a few people on this board have had them. I was wondering what advice you might have. I plan on doing...
  16. Zero Mercury Drummer

Drumming: the spiritual side

Something a little different. Last night before practice my bandmates and I had a great discussion about life and relationships. We were discussing the concept of love, and how that means letting go of your own self-identity and letting your ego disappear. Not easy. While I was playing, I tried...
  17. Zero Mercury Drummer

Playing songs the same way every time? and same set-up?

Something I've been thinking about (always dangerous): When you come up with a drum part for an original song- do you adhere to that same part for eternity? Or do you improvise when you play it live? I always took the Neil Peart approach of coming up with "my part," then trying to replicate it...
  18. Zero Mercury Drummer

Beer when gigging?

This has probably been raised before (no pun intended), but do you drink beer when you play live? Some swear against it, some might have one or at the most two to relax (like me) and others can't play unless they are sloshed. More than a beer and half and my tempo goes to hell. Do you think...
  19. Zero Mercury Drummer

What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

When I am done playing rock and roll, I plan on spending my twilight drumming years playing jazz. I live in DC, a great jazz town, so this could work. I've been playing drums for decades, but never received standard music class training. So I never got that basic rundown of jazz standards etc...
  20. Zero Mercury Drummer

My band made a music video, prominent role for my cymbal.

My band had 48 Hours to make and edit a video with people we had never met before. Here it is. What's interesting is my 20" Zildjian crash was used throughout the filming, for reflections and camera perspectives. The song is called "Near." Would love to hear any opinions...