Search results

1. funkytomtom

How Embarassing/What to do when...

You can't keep time. I know my time isn't perfect. In fact...sometimes it sucks. A year and a half or so ago I got to hear some playback of some lives shows I had played. And I rushed EVERYTHING quite badly. It sounded awful and was quite a bummer. But...on the bright side...I knew what I...
  2. funkytomtom

My Fat New DW's

Finally today I received The Call from my local drum shop (Backbeats Drum and Backline) and made The Trip down to pick up my new kit. I am unable to play it at this moment because other people in the house are sleeping (which is very frustrating). I did however pull them out and check them...
  3. funkytomtom

Three Thumbs Up for Open Handed

I don't even remember why I started trying open handed out...but it has been snowballing ever since. I'm not an awesome drummer or anything, but I've been experiencing a renaissance lately in my drumming. I attribute most of it to open handed playing. Think about it: when playing a lot of...
  4. funkytomtom

I'm panicking about ordering...

my new DW kit in burnt orange glass. I absolutely love the picture of it in the DW showroom, but after seeing other pictures floating around the internet (yes I'm a dork) it seems like it will be much more orange (and ugly) than that. So...does anyone have any pictures of this finishply to...
  5. funkytomtom

Anti-Vibration Drumsticks

Salutations. I have a long history of wrist, tendon, and muscle issues. I've gone a long way in figuring out how to warm up and stretch properly, but my drumming still has to stay somewhat limited. I've noticed Zildjian's "anti-vibe" drumsticks and wondered if anyone had any experience with...
  6. funkytomtom

Opening for Berlin...

I figured it might be time to post a video of my own playing. It's some pretty simple stuff, with a tasty fill or two. It's also the only video I felt was solid enough to share. I hope you enjoy. I have since become better at showmanship and hopefully playing in general. We opened for...
  7. funkytomtom

The Penultimate Hip-Hop Thread

This may fall flat on its face, but I wanted to start a thread in which anyone who plays hip-hop (or rap) on an actual drum-kit could come and discuss new ideas, techniques, etc... My band started bringing in a rapper on a couple of songs each show and people LOVE it. It really gets the crowd...
  8. funkytomtom

Why use such a big bass if...

So. I love a big bass drum sound just like everybody else should. Lately, however, it has come to my attention (probably much later than it should have) that my 20 inch sounds absolutely massive when miked up. Also, I was taking a test drive of some of the bass drums a local shop rents out...