Search results

1. V

Aquarian Heads Made In Mexico?

Greetings, I recently posted another thread about wanting to try out some Aquarian Drum Heads, as I have been a Remo guy pretty much my entire career (with some Evans UV1 over the last few years). I am liking the Texture Coated heads, but I was surprised to see that they are made in Mexico. I...
  2. V

Thoughts On Aquarian Heads-Particularly Studio X vs. Focus X

Greetings, I don't have much experience with Aquarian Heads. I recently got a bunch of gently used Aquarian heads from a friend that were basically new. I put a Texture Coated on my snare and I really like the sound. I'm a coated, single ply guy all the way. I had been a Remo loyalist for...
  3. V

Can Grestch Catalina Club Snare Drums be purchased/ordered separately from kits?

Just wondering. Does anyone know for sure? Gretsch lists add-on toms and bass drums for the Catalina Club series on their website, but not snares. I emailed Gretsch about this but I have yet to hear back. I know these aren't premium snares, but there is a Catalina Club Jazz kit here locally...
  4. V

Yamaha Stage Custom.... 3+ months lead time?

Greetings, I recently got a really good deal on a used current generation Yamaha Stage Custom 12/14/18 bop kit in Pure White Lacquer. I've never owned a white kit and you don't see too many of the Stage Customs in the white finish. I'll feel like Vinnie back in the day playing white Yamaha's...
  5. V

Good source for stand sized boxes?

Greetings, I'm getting ready to get rid of a ton of stands (cymbal, hi-hat snare). Does anyone have a good "stand box" source? These would be long and shallow boxes, like a cymbal stand would come in. Almost everything I'm getting rid of is pretty light weight and folds compactly. Thanks...
  6. V

Adding more tension to a non-tension adjustable hi hat stand

Greetings, Someone posted a thread about light hi hat stands recently, and the Yamaha Crosstown came up in that thread, with several people mentioning that the tension was too light and non-adjustable. I replied to that thread but thought it would be helpful to have it's own thread as well...
  7. V

Stanton Moore now with Zildjian

I bet it was that awful new Sabian logo that turned the tide LOL! A cat as cool as Stanton wouldn't want to be associated with that sort of tomfoolery. Seriously though, he and Jeff Hamilton (who were business partners with Crescent Cymbals--name of company after they left Bosphorus) basically...
  8. V

Small hardware bag for lighter weight hardware-Inexpensive Option

Greetings, I find most hardware bags to be too long and/or bulky to handle comfortably. Also, they are usually fairly expensive too. I have come across a solution for a lighter weight hardware bag that works great: A small keyboard bag! I use this bag, which is made for a small, 49 key...
  9. V

Any other source for bearing edge re-cutting other than Precision Drum Company?

Greetings and Merry Christmas! Does anyone have another source for bearing edge-re-cutting other than Precision Drum Company out of New York? I've used them in the past, and they always do great work, but their prices are making it pretty much cost prohibitive for what I want to do. I took a...
  10. V

1st Generation Gretsch Catalina Jazz

Greetings, I recently picked up a 1st generation Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, the ones with the "club date" style center mounted lugs and plain wood hoops, in Silver Sparkle. To the best of my knowledge, they only came in two finish choices: Silver Sparkle and White Marine Pearl. Is that...
  11. V

DIY Snare Drum Display/Storage Rack

Greetings, I wanted to share a tip with all of you. I know that you can buy those "Proline" snare drum racks at Guitar Center or online, but they always seemed too expensive and not all that well built to me. I came up with my own rack that is more durable, has more room, and is still cheaper...
  12. V

Yamaha Crosstown Hardware Bag Size and Interior?

Greetings, I picked up a brand new Crosstown hardware pack that was marked down to 50% off because it was an abandoned layaway at a local music store. All the stands came in their cloth bags and brand new in bubble wrap, but it did not have the Yamaha carry bag. Can you Crosstown users share...
  13. V

A simple lesson that we can ALL learn from..................

As drummers, most of us (and in fact by virtue that we are on this forum is proof enough) that we are obsessed with gear and "our sound", "our look", etc. We all have our preferences, from setup to tuning, to technique, to gear. We're all very particular and loyal to our heads, cymbals, sticks...
  14. V

Remo-Excellent Customer Service!

I just wanted to say that I had a great experience with Remo. I had ordered a 15" Coated Powerstroke 3 head from a large retailer online. For those that may not know, these come in two varieties, either "normal" (standard coated head) or with a "clear dot" on top (that is also coated...
  15. V

Guitar Center..we all love to hate them...but .............................

I know, I know. I don't like them either. However, I'm here to remind everyone that they will sometimes have absolutely AMAZING deals when they put stuff on clearance. These are items that are not advertised on the web, because it varies by store. One location may have any item on clearance...
  16. V

Attack Drumheads have re-branded and re-launched

Maybe I'm late to the party, but since Universal Percussion (Attack's former distributor) sold to Cardinal Percussion, they have since relaunched. About six months ago, all the Attack information I was finding was outdated and couldn't buy them online anywhere. https://www.attackdrumheads.com/...
  17. V

Pro-Mark......Your Thoughts?

Greetings, I wanted to see what your take was on Pro-Mark sticks. I feel since the D'Addario takeover, they have gone downhill. Not necessarily in terms of quality (they have), but with selection......and their marketing is way to gimmicky for my tastes. Their website is also bad, in terms...
  18. V

DW Accessories-Serious Price Increases-All heads too......................

Greetings, I've noticed that all of the accessories DW offers (L-rods, strainers, clutches etc.) have gone WAY up in price. I really like the DW M.A.G. Strainer. Drum Factory Direct used to sell it for $29.99 ($10 cheaper than GC, but GC always price matched). I went to grab another one...
  19. V

Your Favorite Recorded Drum Fills

Greetings, What are some of your favorite recorded drum fills? I'll give examples of three of my favorites: At 0:39, I love how Ringo goes up the drums instead of down (maybe because he was left handed?) and the odd, syncopated rhythm (that fits the tune perfectly). I'm not a big Beatles or...
  20. V

Solid Heel Plate or Parallel Support Bars under your pedal?

Greetings, I just want to get a feel for what you like at the base of your pedal..................a solid floor plate or the collapsible, parallel bars underneath? I know there are Pros & Cons to both. Personally I prefer the parallel support bars. I am not heavy footed at all, so I never...