Search results

1. MrInsanePolack

Needs More Cowbell!

Friday night is date night at my house. At 7pm, my wife and I curl up on the couch and watch WWE Smackdown. We mostly just oogle the lady wrestlers and their butt glorifying outfits, and make fun of the rest. Last night, during one of the many talking parts, one guy had a cowbell. He go too...
  2. MrInsanePolack

Hating on the Stock Snare

I don't understand the hate. Or the desire to have a non-matching snare. Furthermore, I don't buy it. No one ever puts into words what exactly they DON'T like about the stock snare. Its always just "garbage", or "not my sound", or "I just don't like it". Adjectives fly when describing bad...
  3. MrInsanePolack

Inversion anyone?

Anyone use an inversion table for their back? We get lighter hardware, smaller drums, comfy thrones, and exercise good posture while playing. How do y'all keep your back in tact otherwise? As I get older, my flexibility is diminishing in my back. Twenty years ago I could bend at the waist and...
  4. MrInsanePolack

Since DW bought Slingerland...

...is this the time to jump on a vintage Slingy kit? If DW starts producing new Slingerland drums, will it drive up the price of the vintage kits once released? Vintage Slingerland drums are pretty reasonably priced right now, and aren't too hard to find if one really looks. I'm not talking...
  5. MrInsanePolack

I Found a Video with Me Performing

I can't believe I found this. It's from 2000, in black and white, and recorded on VHS. I had no idea this even existed. It's our whole set, so like 40 minutes. Takes a couple of songs to actually see me, but now I have a vid to post. Enjoy or don't, that's up to you.
  6. MrInsanePolack

AHHHH ITS HALLOWEEN!

Three guitars, two singers, one bass, and a huge drum kit. Ladies and gentlemen, it's Helloween!
  7. MrInsanePolack

Musical Terms

I think we are all familiar with the term groove. Where did it come from? Is it because a record has a groove for the needle? If so did music not groove before records? Same thing with deep cut. I hear DJs use this term quite frequently. I get that it's a classic song that is huge, but why is...
  8. MrInsanePolack

Question About Metering

I just want to make sure I've got this right. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible so as not to be confusing. My metronome is on my phone. In 4/4, it has 16 buttons divided into 4 groups of 4. It's basically a grid. I can put sounds at any spot on the grid. I divide it evenly into...
  9. MrInsanePolack

Backwards Fills

By backwards I mean ascending, or from low notes to high notes. They aren't very popular. There are some, but not many. Why is this? Are ascending fills harder? Do they not sound right? I only even thought of this because I just heard one and was a bit shocked at first. It was cool. I dug it.
  10. MrInsanePolack

Recording Videos Without Breaking the Bank

I don't have video equipment. I have drums (obviously), a phone, a laptop, and a want to make videos to post. I don't have a lot of money to spare. How can I make videos for y'all to see that aren't noisy crap? I want to do this so I don't come across as a voice with no backup. I play, really I do.
  11. MrInsanePolack

Jazz vs Metal. Polar Opposites or Unknown Friends?

Well, similar in approach or nothing alike? Are they Communism vs Fascist (Ford vs Chevy, black vs white, up vs down) or distant cousins that like to hang out? Both are hard to understand for the untrained. Both are a bit extreme compared to "normal" music. Both take a lifetime to master. And...
  12. MrInsanePolack

iDrums, SmartDrums, Whatever

When will technology hit the drum set? What should it do? And I'm not talking electronic drums. I'm talking drums that Bluetooth to your phone and tell you which head is out of tune and which lug to turn, which heads need changing, any malfunctioning piece of hardware, autocorrected snare wire...
  13. MrInsanePolack

Food Before the Gig

So what is it? I was always sandwiches or salad. Subway was my best friend before the gig. Took me a bit to realize that fast food and pizza just didn't agree with me before a bunch of drumming activity. Neither did anything containing caffeine. Playing dehydrated sucks. Subway was great because...
  14. MrInsanePolack

Trying Again

So yesterday I answered an add looking for a death metal drummer for a project, possibly to turn into a band. I haven't been in a band for 17 years. It left a bad taste in my mouth. This should be different though, it's just for the love of the music. No dreams of making it big or ruling the...
  15. MrInsanePolack

GIO Cymbals?

Just saw this. They certainly put an emphasis on beating the crap outta these things. Not much else though. Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? At least they look like cymbals. https://fayar.craigslist.org/muc/d/fayetteville-attn-hard-hitting-drummers/6941514832.html
  16. MrInsanePolack

Same Name, Different Song

There are a bunch. Covers and remixes don't count, so "Walk This Way" is not allowed. How many can you find? Here are some I found: Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin, Pat Benatar, Mariah Carey Gloria - The Doors, Laura Branigan Lady - Styx, Kenny Rogers Yes I know the Doors covered Gloria, but it...
  17. MrInsanePolack

Just Being Honest

I am an Android mobile user. So far I am quite disappointed with the new forum. If I'm being completely honest, I think it sucks. I must now manually log in. I can't read the newest post first. I can't select what page I want to go to. I can only see 3-4 threads on the screen now, so in the Drum...
  18. MrInsanePolack

Can't Stay Logged In

My cookies are enabled. If I try to log in by hitting "log in", it tells me the site uses cookies but won't give me the option to accept them. Been fighting with it since yesterday. I just tried to log in manually and it worked. Is there a setting inside the site I need to adjust? I have...
  19. MrInsanePolack

Clarinet Experts(?) Help Me

So I just purchased a clarinet. It's a Vito Reso-Tone 3. The instrument is in fabulous shape visually. Serial #D11647. Numbers match top and bottom. Minimal scratches, no reed. The chrome is beautiful. It came with the case, it looks old (or retro). I paid $10, and a 40 minute drive. Anyone...
  20. MrInsanePolack

Heads for Tom Maximization

I want to try something different to increase the range of each tom in my set. I currently have 10" and 12" rack toms, and a 13" floor tom set up. I also have 16" and 18" floor toms, but they are cased up and space does not permit leaving them out (either one, at all). So I was thinking, to get...