Search results

1. wildbill

Two shell banks instead of eight different kits?

I was going to post a greater challenge for you - go from 8 kits to one full shell bank. But it seems the decision has already been made and acted upon. You should be fully covered with what you have now. BTW - did you sell any of the other 6 kits? Or is that on the back burner.
  2. wildbill

Paiste Giant Beat vs. 2002 vs. Big Beat Video

Very nice. What I especially like about all your videos are the isolated, head to head, direct comparisons towards the end. Most people seem to omit those. And while playing the whole set gives a good indication of how they'll sound in context, the isolated comparisons are much better for...
  3. wildbill

Help Needed!!

OK - I thought it was for drum notation (with this being Drummerworld and all). And drums don't really sustain, except for roll notation.
  4. wildbill

Bigger Kits

As I don't gig, I almost never move my drums around. And I have a whole large room that I could fill with drums if I wanted to. But I'm perfectly happy with my 5 pc. sets. So no. I wouldn't like a bigger set. Neither bigger number of drums, nor bigger sizes.
  5. wildbill

Help Needed!!

The quarter note in the first measure and the half note in the second measure both cross over the implied 3 to 4 bar line, making it unnecessarily difficult to read.
  6. wildbill

Help Needed!!

Not good. This one you did earlier is better: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?attachments/screenshot-4-png.90186/ There's multiple ways to notate things but some are easier to read and follow than others. When you see 6/8, most people will count it as two chunks of three with...
  7. wildbill

Help Needed!!

That's how I would notate it.
  8. wildbill

Rack tom flatness and "step up" height from snare

Just depends on how hard you want to work. If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it. A couple alternatives would be to cut down your toms, use a smaller bass drum, or get a different set. I like my snare and all the toms to be at the same height. .
  9. wildbill

What should I upgrade to?

Good that you've got a budget set. Next up to consider would be things like how many drums would you like included, what sizes do you you want, do you have a wood preference, are you partial to a specific finish, and things like that. Maybe the answers to those questions will give you a better...
  10. wildbill

light weight drum kit

. Pearl Compact Traveler - I don't think they come much lighter than that.
  11. wildbill

Ludwig NEUSONIC FAB DIGITAL BLACK OYSTER SE

If you're referring to the older Ringo type oysters - I love 'em. Just a 'bizarre baby boomer generation thing' I guess.
  12. wildbill

I agree that the Neusonics sound great, and also a bit different. I was a little surprised by that the first time I tried them. Not sure why. Maybe it's the wood combination or something. My reaction to the finish is irrational, but falls along the lines of larryace's thinking. Probably just...
  13. wildbill

I wouldn't touch that set with a ten foot pole, and it certainly would never set foot in my house. I can't even stand to look at it. I said "no comment" the first time it was posted here out of courtesy. But my honest opinion is that it's the only drum set I've ever seen that would earn the...
  14. wildbill

Opinions: 13x3 steel vs 12x7 maple as main

There 'ya go - done.
  15. wildbill

Would you purchase a used kit from studio

Yes - best if you can look it over in person. Even better if you can take off some heads to have a look inside. Don't be afraid to buy from GC though. Besides the return period, if you buy something and have it shipped to your local store, you can look it over on the spot and decide if it's...
  16. wildbill

Thicker shelled drum suggestions

No recommendations. I just highlighted a couple things to check your assumptions. Thin shells sound good when played lightly. Thin shells lose their tone when played hard. Thick shells keep their tone through a larger dynamic range. Just wondering what others think of these assumptions.
  17. wildbill

What's ONE piece of gear that made you change the way you play your whole kit?

Double bass pedal. Even though I don't use it now, the couple years I spent focusing on different techniques for it have improved my single pedal bass playing a lot.
  18. wildbill

Yamaha Stage Custom.... 3+ months lead time?

A quick search shows at least a half dozen places that have them in stock.
  19. wildbill

Did I get ripped off

No - you didn't get ripped off.
  20. wildbill

Yamaha AHM bass rack toms mount screws getting in the way of my tom rims

Sounds like your set might be a candidate for the 'tom angles' thread. Hard to tell without a pic, but it sounds like you've got them angled down too far. There are several things that can affect it. How far down into the bass drum, the main shaft goes, how high or low you have the individual...