Search results

1. H

Your thoughts on Intermediate Kits

Alright peoples, I really can't justify spending $1500 on an amazing kit, but I've talked the wife into letting me drop around $600-700 for the time being(until the time comes for new cymbals) My favorites in this price range are looking to be: Gretsch Catalina(birch) Mapex Meridian(birch)...
  2. H

Drum Hardware, Specifically Toms!

Hey all, so I'm building the next few pieces of my kit here in the near future. Probably a 16x14 floor tom, as well as a rack, possibly a 13 or 14 x10 And, I am not wanting to mount these on my bass drum(also building that down the road, 24x14, so it will be too tall for pretty much anything on...
  3. H

My Custom Bass Drum Practice Pad..

So I'm a DIY'er, really hated the idea of spending $80 on the bass drum pads advertised by PDP and the like..so I decided to make one! Cost: $5(for 2x4 stud and large bracket for the pedal to attach to) and some miscellaneous brackets, wood glue, screws and about 15 minutes of my time...
  4. H

metronome with specific function

I am looking for a metronome that has the ability to evenly decrease or increase tempo. Above that I'm not looking anything special, trying keep it relatively reasonably priced.. Thanks!!
  5. H

"Well, that's a Funny Place to Leave Your Stick!"

So..my girlfriend is always finding my various drumsticks around the house, in her car, in the yard..pretty much anywhere I go. They'll fall out of my back pocket..or I'll drop it while leaving to take care of something. But yesterday she calls me up at work and says, "Well, that's a funny...
  6. H

Transcription Help

I know this song isn't difficult whatsoever, but the snare work is excellent! And listening to their drummer has shown me that this will be great to listen to, to take me from my basic 4/4, 2&4 to adding some flavor and pizzazz! Here is the youtube link, thanks to anyone that will do this. Any...
  7. H

Falling into the Same Pattern

Alright ladies and gent's I'm having some difficulty here and unfortunately my dilemma is going to probably come across as quite vague, but I am confident many beginners run into something similar: I am having a hell of a time setting the mood! (Ha!) I find myself falling into a repetitious...
  8. H

Beginner Drum Notation Questions

So, forgive my ignorance but I feel as though through practice my single and double strokes are becoming much tighter. Speed is not necessarily my goal, but having equal "air space" in between solid hits is. With that said, I've been working on applying some more advanced(for me) rudiments...
  9. H

Pedal Pad

Looking for the quietest solution for playing my bass/double bass at night. I've got a decent set up for my sticks but I am need of a fix for my feet. I know Pearl, Pro-Mark, Gibralter and probably others make a product, but I am sure I could just as easily build one myself. However I am...
  10. H

MuseScore or the like...

Hey all, so I am giving a try at transcribing some songs for a friend and I to play along to. I feel this will help me in many ways, so I am wanting to do it right. At the moment I am fiddling around with MuseScore and having some major issues. For one, I cannot figure how to have two...
  11. H

First Pair of Brushes

I see metal, I see nylon, I see some variances in brushes and I'm not sure what would suite me best. I am just looking to add a little variety to my practices, especially because I'm working with Jazz composure as of late. I am thinking nylon? For a softer sound. And if anyone has specific...
  12. H

Relatively Simple, Down-Tempo Jazz Selections

Alright guys, I consider myself a pretty worthy fan of Jazz music, however, my vocabulary and knowledge of artists is incredibly limited. I can turn on NPR or other independent stations that have "Jazz hours" and really dig it hard. However, if you were to ask me who I enjoyed, I could probably...
  13. H

Not Just Another "shoe" Thread..

Hey guys, I know the "help me find drumming shoes" threads have been beaten into the dirt, but I've got a bit of different scenario here that I am sure some people on this board share. I really like the looks(sole, ball heal, flat sole) of the Puma Speed Cats, unfortunately I have extremely...
  14. H

How Do These Sizes Sound?

Hey all, been drumming for a little more than a year now and I'm in the mix of building my own kit. I've already got an 8x14 snare that I've built and I really enjoy the sound of it. Down the road I'll get a smaller snare to accompany it. But for now I'll be eliminating my current cheap Pearl...
  15. H

How Can I Apply These Books to the Kit?

Stick Control, Syncopation and Four Way Coordination So I am looking for ways to apply these books to the kit. I've been focusing pad time on Stick Control and Syncopation but when it comes time to triplets(especially), I feel like I am lacking the groove completely. They turn into uneven...
  16. H

Seeking Advancement Advice

Hello all! First time poster, long time reader, just wanted to say this site is amazing for aiding in my self-taught lessons. I've been playing drums off and on for a couple of years, but have only gotten serious quite recently. I practice basic rudiments on a near daily basis and I am...