Search results

1. notvinnie

Sit in request on the gig

John Robinson was sitting at the bar of a club I was playing 20 years ago. I only knew that because he came over and chatted with me while I was setting up my drums and introduced himself. I was blown away! Anyway, after our first set, I went over to him with our set list and told him we'd love...
  2. notvinnie

Why is there a lack of love for 22x18" bass drums?

You should probably state what kind vehicle you drive when you say that. I was able to transport TWO 24" x 14" bass drums in the back seat of an Oldsmobile back in the day. I now haul my entire 6-piece set (including a 22" x 16" bass drum) in a VW Golf.
  3. notvinnie

Buddy Rich(Slingerland)

I'm pretty sure that the bass drum in that photo is actually 24".
  4. notvinnie

DW 9000 double pedal or Tama Speed cobra 910 double pedal?

I would say get the Tama then. The DW9000 feels nice, but the Tama is way easier to make multiple adjustments, and feels just as nice - maybe nicer. FYI, I play a Yamaha, and it feels even lighter than the Tama.
  5. notvinnie

DW 9000 double pedal or Tama Speed cobra 910 double pedal?

Do you normally leave your left foot in the depressed position like that? I was going to suggest the Tama Speed Cobra, but it appears that you may prefer a heavier feel. I would suggest that you get (or at least try) the DW5000, not the 9000.
  6. notvinnie

EAD10...Pretty Killer, But...

That would be really great. They could just add two XLR (or even 1/4") inputs, which if connected, would bypass the built-in mics and otherwise be processed in the same way. Then it would be up to you if you wanted to get really expensive mics or more inexpensive models which you could then...
  7. notvinnie

Which kit really sounds like THIS ?

For that wet paper bag sound, you want 2-ply batter heads, tuned on the looser side of things.
  8. notvinnie

Which kit really sounds like THIS ?

You should be able to get ANY set of drums to sound like that with the right heads and the right sized concrete room.
  9. notvinnie

Recording Custom Bearing Edges

The new ones are 30 degrees, but measured from the other side. They're not like the Gretsch 30 degrees. More like 60 degrees if measured like Gretsch. They are VERY sharp. You could shave with the new RCs. You can sort of see it in this pic:
  10. notvinnie

Eliminator Solo (Black Cam)

I think the MAP for this one is $129, which means you can probably get it for $95. Cheap, for me, is a pedal under $150. Once you get much lower than that, it's probably built with inferior bearings/metal/fittings, etc. (unless you find a slightly used one). I haven't tried the IC900, but...
  11. notvinnie

Just wait till you try it. I was impressed, and this will be super cheap!
  12. notvinnie

https://www.pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-pedals/eliminator-solo This pedal is absolutely perfect.
  13. notvinnie

What are current trends that you like?

I got nuthin'....
  14. notvinnie

EAD-20? :eek:
  15. notvinnie

Two Bass Drums - vs Double-Pedal for One

I don't think you're familiar with the record "Danger Money" then. Or the Brecker Brothers live album Heavy Metal Bebop:
  16. notvinnie

Me too. Best thing he's ever done, aside from UK.
  17. notvinnie

You can control the level (as well as sample) of the bass drum trigger independant of the microphones.
  18. notvinnie

Playing the same pattern on two bass drums results in the notes getting double their value. For instance, if you're playing a sixteenth note pattern with your feet, each bass drum is actually playing eighth notes. With a double pedal, they are sixteenth notes because each beater strike cuts off...
  19. notvinnie

Fibes Drums

Once Drum Workshop completes their Slingerland reboot, I'm sure they'll acquire Fibes next.