Search results

1. D

Small Crashes Anyone?

I ended up with these cymbals (long story). 21" HHX Evolution Ride 17" AA Medium-Thin Crash 14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom) Even though the Evolution Ride is very crashable, I felt I need another crash. So today I bought an SR2 15" Thin Crash for $99. So I have ended up with 15" and...
  2. D

Which Heads for Playing Softer?

I need to play more softly than usual because I am playing in a new church that is in a much smaller room than the one I was going to before. The room also has bad acoustics. I tried using muffled heads on the toms, Evans Hydraulics, but I still need to hit them harder than I want to get a...
  3. D

My Current Mapex and Sabian Setup

Here are pictures of my current setup. The drums are Saturn / Saturn Pro 22/16/12/snare. The cymbals are all Sabian. You sure can tell that I am left handed. Peace and goodwill. 20" HHX Evolution Ride 19" AAX X-plosion Crash 17" AAX X-plosion Crash 16" AA X-plosion Crash 14" SR2 Hats (top...
  4. D

Only One Drum Set?

Due to circumstances well within my control, I now have only one drum set and two snares. How many of you have only one drum set? Peace and goodwill.
  5. D

I Gave Away My Cymbals!

I had two Mapex Saturn drum sets. One is Saturn V that I still have. The other is a Saturn Pro set. I felt led to give the older set to my former church. So yesterday I took the drums and my cymbals(out of habit) to the church I used to play at. The pastor seemed very glad about the better...
  6. D

Minimal Cymbals Anyone?

At our last four-hour gig I used the following cymbals (all Sabian). We play blues and classic rock. 18" AA El Sabor (crash and ride) 17" AAX X-plosion Crash 14" Paragon Hats Does anyone else use what I would call a minimum amount of cymbals?
  7. D

My Sabian Cymbal Odyssey

I have bought and tried out about 35 Sabian cymbals in the last 30 years. I play drums at church on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. Sunday my pastor told me I was too loud, but I was playing the same as I have for years. So I decided to take different cymbals to lower the volume. Here...
  8. D

A Question for Those Who Do Not Mount a Rack Tom on the Bass Drum

A year ago I bought a Mapex Saturn V set (12/16/22/snare) that does not have a bass drum tom mount. I am now using a cymbal stand and clamp for the tom holder. Here is my question: how do you prefer to mount a tom that is not mounted to the bass drum? from a cymbal stand from a tom stand with...
  9. D

Sabian XSR vs. Zildjian S Series

These "semi-pro" cymbals seem to be getting better and better. I have never played either of these, but I have heard a few XSR cymbals in person. So for those of you who have heard both, which is better? Please explain why. I have XS20 14" Medium Hats that I like quite a bit, but of course...
  10. D

Calling All Mapex Saturn Experts

Yesterday, I bought two toms and a bass drum that had been expertly painted antique white. All three drums are from different Saturn / Saturn Pro Series. The 16x14 tom has a silver badge that says "Saturn Pro Series." The bass drum has a gold badge that says "Saturn Pro Series." The 12" tom...
  11. D

Pingy Rides vs. Washy Rides

I used to prefer the pingiest rides I could find, such Sabian Raw Bell Dry Rides and Rock Rides. Then about ten years ago, I bought an AA El Sabor Ride, which was 21 inches in diameter. Since then I have preferred washy rides. Today at practice I used an El Sabor 18" as a crash and a ride...
  12. D

Sabian Pro vs. New Improved B8Pro

Back when Sabian introduced the Pro series, Pro Cymbals were a little better than the B8Pro cymbals from that time. Now that B8Pro cymbals have been improved, doesn't that make them about the same quality as the Pro series? If you have experience with the Pro series and the new B8Pro series...
  13. D

Saw a Concert: Small Bass Drum

Last night I took my wife to see Alan Jackson in Baton Rouge, She is fan of country music; I like only a little of it. We had seats in the second-to-last row, and then two young ladies offered us fifth row tickets. We moved. Since we were that close, I could see the on-stage gear pretty...
  14. D

Hurricane Isaac

Well, it seems as though Hurricane Isaac is coming my way. I live in central Louisiana in Avoyelles Parish. It is predicted to be a tropical storm when it gets here. I sure hope the electricity does not go out, but it probably will. Living here with no air conditioning in August is no fun...
  15. D

Have You Ever Seen a Supraphonic Like This?

I bought this from ebay about eight to ten years ago. I have been playing it at church since then. I think I paid about $80 for it. It is pitted, but it sounds like a Supraphonic. I think it is from the early 70s. Can any of you Ludwig experts tell me anything about this snare? Peace and...
  16. D

What do you do when...?

What do you do when another band member wants to do a song you really do not like? We recently added a singer, who is quite good, and one of the guitar players suggested about 24 songs to learn. I agree with 20 of them. I cannot stand the other four. If I heard any one of them on the radio...
  17. D

Mapex Meridian Question

I am considering buying a Mapex Meridian Maple bass drum in the future. My question is about the bass drum tom holder. Does the tom holder go down into the bass drum? Also, is the "down" shaft 1 inch in diameter like older Mapex tom holders? I actually hope the answer is "yes" for both...
  18. D

Slight Band Problem

A few months ago, we started a blues band. Due to everyone's work schedule, we can only practice on Saturdays. We played one gig, which went OK. Here is the problem: the two guitar players want to book gigs that I believe we are not ready for. We only know about thirty songs, and about five...
  19. D

Church Drum Sets

This is not to discuss religion at all, but many drummers play in church, and I am one of them. What set (drums and cymbals) do you play at church? Is it yours? Do you play behind a screen? Is the set miced? Drums (all Mapex Saturn Pro, except the snare) 22x18 16x14 13x11 14x5 (Ludwig...
  20. D

Mixed Hardware?

Is all of your hardware the same brand, or is it mixed, different brands? Mine is very mixed. Mapex: bass drum pedal, hi-hat stand, clamp Pearl: tom holders (one long, one short), cymbal boom, floor tom legs, throne Gibraltar: snare stand, cymbal booms, clamps, percussion mounts, bass drum...