Search results

1. mikyok

Making money as a drummer - getting better or worse?

I've been in bands with guys who did club bands as their full time job in the 70s and never travelled more than 45mins to a gig. Remember my dad telling me they didn't travel far at all. There was that many clubs and all the big factories had a social club of which there were countless.
  2. mikyok

Outrageous club drummers that left a lasting impression.

Malcolm Garrett. THE Moeller guy in the UK. He doesn't advertise other than business cards. Think he's 71 now and still doing theatre gigs and teaching. He eats, drinks and sleeps drums
  3. mikyok

Outrageous club drummers that left a lasting impression.

My old teacher from uni plays a tiny jazz pub every other Sunday. He just brings some nice Istanbuls, stool, snare and a pedal and make a battered up export sing. He was house drummer at Ronnie Scotts for years and was very close friends with Jim Chapin, hence why we all had lessons from Jim if...
  4. mikyok

NUCD - My first K

Me too but it makes me look the part ;)
  5. mikyok

NUCD - My first K

The 22" Renaissance
  6. mikyok

NUCD - My first K

I've only got one K Constantinople but it's the best ride I've ever owned ever
  7. mikyok

NUCD - My first K

Welcome to the K club sir. One leads to another until you have a full set. Wait until you try a K Constantinople Don't worry about that flea bite. As long as you crash with a glancing blow it'll last forever.
  8. mikyok

Making money as a drummer - getting better or worse?

I had a very similar conversation with my old man last night and I'll go one further. The even scarier part is that the pay now is the same as when I started in 2002 and even then the pay hadn't increased since the 70s when my old man was gigging but it was fairly good money 50 years ago. That's...
  9. mikyok

Singing while drumming made me a better drummer

It definitely gets you more gigs as well, particularly if you sing harmony well. Compared to drum gear an SM58 (or equivalent brand) is dirt cheap and will last your entire career.
  10. mikyok

How do you play to a song you absolutely have no love for?

That's one hell of a motto!
  11. mikyok

How do you play to a song you absolutely have no love for?

I have to play songs I don't like all the time. Just service the song and look like you're not dying inside when you're playing Brown Eyed Girl for the trillionth time! Fill the dance floor and hopefully your wallet at the end of the evening and it's a job well done.
  12. mikyok

How far are you willing to drive to join / be in a band?

Depends what's in the pipeline. If there's well paid gigs then half hour each way is cool for rehearsal. I'm depping a lot atm. No rehearsals
  13. mikyok

Moving forward looking back...

Do I miss being young and care free to do nothing but music? Oh hell yeah! It was beautiful time and place with great people I still gig with and keep in touch with. I tried to make the most of it before adulting got in the way. I miss having that little bubble where you can be creative and...
  14. mikyok

What's your favorite snare drum TODAY?

It is and will always be my blue last of the Chicago 1984 402. My 400 and steambent are as good but the 402 was my first professional snare I got 21 years ago for £100.
  15. mikyok

If you only have one crash cymbal, what size is it?

They're just great cymbals if you have a good one like we do! I've done most of my gigs on an electric kit this year. Missing the real thing
  16. mikyok

Shure 215 in-ears, am I missing something?

Funnily enough I've just grabbed a pair of 215s. Using them for gigs with the electric kit. Not a fan of floor wedges. Getting used to them at the mo. Finding the foam tips work the best for the seal in my ears and keeping the bass. No problems with volume or clarity at all.
  17. mikyok

Yammy Stage Custom Hip vs Sonor AQ2 Bop

I had the same dilemma a few years back and settled on a Mapex Saturn V Tour 20x14, 12x8, 14x14. I'd go with those sizes just find your brand. 20x14 is a nice punchy bass drum where you can get a great bass drum sound. If you're going down the micro kit road, get a Pearl Midtown
  18. mikyok

If you only have one crash cymbal, what size is it?

The 19" K Dark Thin Crash has been my main crash for 10+ years. Same cymbal. Either this or the Amedia Vintage 20" crash. It's the darkest thinnest crash I've ever found but only really gets used for recording.
  19. mikyok

Sizes that time forgot?

Did they have cases? If so they'd probably be worth more than the drums. How did you store them? They were a bit before my time and pre internet I remember my dad telling me about them. Was the whole theory behind them just volume and projection?
  20. mikyok

Sizes that time forgot?

Did they ever make cases for them? Oh yeah, goes without saying. I'd use the usual excuse. They're tools for work
Back