Search results

1. L

Max Weinberg

I picked up Max's book The Big Beat, Conversations With Rock's Greatest Drummers this week too. Out of print but it is like the Holy Grail if you're remotely interested in drumming. He talks to Ringo, Hal Blaine, DJ Fontana, Earl Palmer, Bernard Purdie, even Dave Clark. Lots of wonderful...
  2. L

Max Weinberg

I saw Springsteen and the E Street Band live for the first time last week. Obviously Springsteen is a musical icon, but it was so lovely to see Max at full flight, drumming with all the intensity, passion and showmanship that he always displays. Hearing Born To Run live was absolutely euphoric...
  3. L

Arejay Hale

I an astounded there aren't more posts about Arejay and Halestorm. One of the best bands around, I adore The Strange Case Of album. Lzzy Hale's voice is amazing and Arejay has such energy!
  4. L

Don Powell's Let There Be Drums Charity Single

Don's got his own band. They've released a few songs and will tour when they can happen.
  5. L

Don Powell's Let There Be Drums Charity Single

Don Powell of Slade has gathered a group of drummers to record a version of Let There Be Drums. Personally, I'm thrilled to see Brian Bennett of The Shadows back behind the kit!
  6. L

Jonathan Moffett

Forgive me if there is a thread already, I searched every variation on the spelling of his name and couldn't find a dedicated thread. Sugarfoot. What a powerhouse drummer. The videos he did for Drumeo where he plays through Smooth Criminal, Thriller and Beat It are amongst my favourite ever...
  7. L

Pete Jupp

FM just released a live album, playing the entire Tough It Out album from beginning to end. It's so lovely to hear these tracks, some of which I'm pretty sure have never been played live before. Then disc two dives into some deep cuts. It's rare that a band sounds this good after so many years...
  8. L

Mick Fleetwood

Love FM, Rumours is obviously a classic, not a dud song on the album. But the groove the band had on the Peter Green albums is incredible. I'm also really looking forward to the Mick Fleetwood and Friends concert performed last year that is out in April I believe:
  9. L

Max Weinberg

Love Weinberg, Candy's Room is one of my favourite drum songs of all time, hell of a workout on the arms/wrists too. I picked up an album recently, Max Weinberg Presents Let There Be Drums, where Weinberg picks his favourite drum songs from each decade and writes a little essay about them in...
  10. L

David "Pick" Withers

Sultans of Swing, one of the finest songs ever written. The cymbal pattern on the 'just as the time bell rings' line, the snare sound is quite unique.
  11. L

Max Weinberg

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for 'Mighty Max' Weinberg! Well there is one in General Discussion but I couldn't find one here. Great drummer with amazing stamina. Difficult to pick one tune but Candy's Room is absolutely made by the drumming. He also drums on my favourite...
  12. L

Max Weinberg

I've only recently really been getting into Springsteen's back catalogue. The E Street Band give the songs such a rich, textured sound and Weinberg's drumming is a huge part of that. Watching the live in Barcelona DVD, the concert is almost three hours and he doesn't miss a beat. Not only that...
  13. L

John Coghlan

I see Coghlan's band released a song in lockdown, it's a great classic Quo-esque tune with a real groove:
  14. L

Pete Jupp

I know! The vocals on Someday are astonishing! I saw them in a double bill with Dare last year and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to! Incidentally Pete's a lovely bloke too, as are all the band in fact. No other band I've seen has stayed for hours at the bar just chatting to the...
  15. L

Pete Jupp

Any other FM fans here? Aside from the fact that Steve Overland still has one of the greatest AOR voices ever, the band is insanely tight. Jupp and Merv Goldsworthy are an amazing rhythm section. Indiscreet is one of my favourite albums, there isn't a bad song on it. Jupp, especially live, is a...
  16. L

John Coghlan

Certainly Quo is my favourite for discipline when I'm practising, holding down that backbeat on Roadhouse Blues for seven minutes plus is a great workout. Did Coghlan do much other work of significance after Quo? I read about the Diesel project but haven't heard much of their stuff.
  17. L

John Coghlan

Yes, an oversight spelling his name wrong, that's very much my bad! If the thread title can be amended by a Mod or whoever then please do! And I agree. One of the things I love about Quo is the rawness. Technically a lot of their songs would, at first glance, seem simple. But there are few...
  18. L

John Coghlan

Genuinely can't believe there isn't a thread here, original drummer of the mighty Quo. Piledriver, Dog of Two Head, On The Level, Rockin All Over The World, his drumming is heard on arguably some of the finest all out rock songs ever written. I'm interested in whether people think he's a great...
  19. L

Favorite Drummer

Very difficult. Given my username I have to say Brian Downey, so underappreciated and makes quite complex drum pieces look effortless behind the kit (he;s also a lovely guy as I found out after chatting to him at an Alive and Dangerous gig, happy to talk all things Lizzy and his drum influences)...
  20. L

Ola Brunkert

I couldn't find a thread or indeed even a mention of him on these forums which, considering he played on some of the most popular music, well, ever, I'm surprised (though I do appreciate he isn't responsible for Dancing Queen or Mamma Mia and a few others, Roger Palm is I believe), but he was...
Back