Search results

1. DrumDoug

I may have let you guys talk me into making a mistake.

They have the zipper down the back. The bags are still floppy and you have to pull the sides up to get the drums in there. The bass drum bag is easier than my Drum Seeker bag but not as easy as a hard case.
  2. DrumDoug

Shure 215 in-ears, am I missing something?

I had the opposite experience using my 215s this weekend. It’s the first time I’ve used my in ears in over a year. For the first gig I used my Alclair custom molds. They don’t sound bad but they don’t have much low end. For the second gig I switched to my 215s and there was a huge difference...
  3. DrumDoug

I may have let you guys talk me into making a mistake.

I needed new cases for a kit and since most of you guys seem to like bags so much I decided to buy a set of Ahead bags. I used them for the first time this weekend for a couple of gigs. While it was a bit easier to move the drums around and put them in the car, the amount of extra work getting...
  4. DrumDoug

My snare didn’t like gross grain ribbon.

I’ve been reading about using gross grain for snare straps and decided to give it a try since I was putting new heads on my DW Collectors snare. As soon as I got it tuned back up and put it on the stand it had terrible snare rattle. It was like the snare wires were loose and floopy. I didn’t...
  5. DrumDoug

Shure 215 in-ears, am I missing something?

Here’s a cool video I found comparing different budget universal fit IEMs. I personally liked the the TFZ T2s. I’m thinking of buying a pair.
  6. DrumDoug

Front loaded 7As...do they exist?

Zildjian Dennis Chambers sticks are around a 7A and have a short taper. They also have a small round tip.
  7. DrumDoug

39 degrees Celsius and not even summer yet!

I had an outdoor gig the other day and it was 101F/38C. I have one tomorrow and ifs predicted to be 106F/41C. The hottest outdoor gig I ever did was 114F/45C, and there was a bit of wildfire smoke. The older I get the less I can tolerate playing in the heat. It wipes me out.
  8. DrumDoug

You 4 piece guys..mount tom placement perfect?

Somehow this morphed into a throne height thread. Back to tom mounts, I prefer the tom mounts on the bass drum. Two of my kits have the single rack tom in a close to perfect position for me. On another kit, I have a single tom arm and a double for two racks. The single arm puts the tom a little...
  9. DrumDoug

Selling off gear

A Ludwig Keystone X set, a Mapex Saturn Tour set, a Yamaha Birch Custom snare, some hardware and 34 various cymbals are at Bentley’s Drum shop. I actually got more money than I was expecting. I really need to sell two more sets, but I really like all the ones I have left.
  10. DrumDoug

Challenging setup locations

I cut up some plywood into 4x4 pieces and carry six of them in my gig bag o’ stuff. I use them to level out my throne when playing on uneven stages. Mostly when I’m on the side of a street backed into a gutter. Playing a full gig on a leaning throne kills my back.
  11. DrumDoug

Block the drummer -- Show us your photos

A pic from a recent jazz band gig. Usually when I’m not blocked I’m making some weird face. Not “cool” drummer face, more like why do they have such an ugly drummer face?
  12. DrumDoug

I have had to move my kit around a little to keep pedals or the throne out of a hole. Otherwise you just deal with it. It’s a part of gigging life.
  13. DrumDoug

I just set my rug on the grass.
  14. DrumDoug

What is that drum related itch you have not scratched ?

Playing wise, I would like to do some jazz gigs, just straight ahead stuff. I don’t know any jazz players, or where to find them. I would also like to play with a group that uses tracks. Not necessarily because I like bands that do it, but because it’s a modern skill I haven’t developed because...
  15. DrumDoug

I’m getting tired of the drama in music.

Two of the bands I play with have couples in them. One set is married and the other is dating. I am getting so tired of the arguing and bickering at gigs. Maybe I’m being over sensitive. My parents constantly argued and it might trigger me more it does most people. Even with other bands I’ve...
  16. DrumDoug

Selling off gear

I have a couple of drum sets and a lot of cymbals that I need to sell. I’ve read about the horrors of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I really don’t want to deal with that. Is selling online really as bad as some say? My other option is to go to Bentleys Drum Shop and just take whatever...
  17. DrumDoug

Band wants to move to a silent stage.

We have had a problem with stage volume. Not only were the guitar amps an issue, but everyone but me was using two monitors. The guitar players each had one monitor for vocals and one monitor for their guitars, in addition to their amps. The lead singer had two monitors because it made it easier...
  18. DrumDoug

Band wants to move to a silent stage.

One of my bands wants to go to a silent stage. Everyone on in ear monitors, no amps, and an electric drum kit. I really don’t want to gig on an electric kit, but I really like this band. Great guys and great music. Too bad I can’t afford the new DWe kit. The bass player said he’s willing to...
  19. DrumDoug

Looks like I need a new drum hauler.

I didn’t intend to get the same vehicle as a replacement, but it just worked out that way. We were looking at either a used Ford Edge, or a Toyota RAV4. We found a good deal on a 22 Edge. I wanted a RAV4 hybrid for the gas mileage, but after some calculations, it would take 10 years for the gas...
  20. DrumDoug

Looks like I need a new drum hauler.

Good thing I can drive a stick shift!
Back