Search results

1. BenOBrienSmith

Sticky evans heads

Wow! That's a wildly unacceptable experience and certainly the sort of thing that would make me question any sort of future loyalty to product and brand. I hope you've found a suitable alternative.
  2. BenOBrienSmith

Antonio Sanchez : Birdman Live

I was lucky enough to see him perform the soundtrack live last summer at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn. I'd wanted to see it presented that way for so long and, even with my high expectations, the reality was still above and beyond. Antonio is a master musician and his performance...
  3. BenOBrienSmith

DW Factory/Replacement Heads-AA Mylar and S Mylar?

You're quite welcome! Both films are available in a wide array of thicknesses. There are other films in use as well. I can't speak specifically to which films are used for which heads beyond the Type S for Ambassadors (and some heads from other brands) and Type A for Emperors.
  4. BenOBrienSmith

DW Factory/Replacement Heads-AA Mylar and S Mylar?

I used to nerd out on this stuff quite I bit when I worked for D'Addario and was developing products within the Evans Drumheads brand. Just a couple things to clear up here- Mylar is a brand & product owned by DuPont Teijin Films (though it seems that they've recently rebranded away from DTF)...
  5. BenOBrienSmith

Yussef Dayes

Fantastic! That band is so incredibly tight. The level of musicality was so enjoyable.
  6. BenOBrienSmith

Drum equipment price increases 2014 to 2024

That's actually cheaper than here in the U.S. $22 AUD is currently sitting at about $14.64 USD. A pair of VF 3AN drumsticks is priced at $15.49 USD.
  7. BenOBrienSmith

Yussef Dayes

Looking forward to catching him in Central Park tonight!
  8. BenOBrienSmith

Just got a Remo SMT Clear Emp bass head

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't learn from the design mistake with the EMAD. It's like they..."took inspiration" from the wrong version.
  9. BenOBrienSmith

Yes, the Music Trades. You have to subscribe to get access but they have a sorts of reputable, historical sales data for our industry.
  10. BenOBrienSmith

Percussion sales as a whole, inclusive of mallet percussion, marching percussion, and electronic percussion, may be steady but margins continue to decrease and there's definitely fear of raising prices and risking marketshare. I mention electronics in addition to the other two sub-categories...
  11. BenOBrienSmith

Is there something going on w Modern Drummer? Subscription Issues

I'm not sure if that would really add much value these days...
  12. BenOBrienSmith

You should see what the margins are- it's not pretty. There's quite the needle to thread in order to ensure a balance of margins for manufacturer, distributor, and retailer while still making the products realistically affordable. I've read a lot of commentary here and across the web where...
  13. BenOBrienSmith

Sounds Like a Drum YouTube channel

That's okay- we encourage skepticism and disagreement but don't just speculate, conduct your own experiments to confirm or reject your hypothesis. This is only truly valuable if you know how it affects your instruments so it would behove you to see how your drums are impacted. We've replicated...
  14. BenOBrienSmith

Sounds Like a Drum YouTube channel

Thanks for the kind words regarding the channel! This is a real labor of love for us. Thanks and yes- it's always interesting to see how, often when we challenge groupthink or traditionally held preconceived notions, some people really get agitated. I suppose that's pretty common elsewhere in...
  15. BenOBrienSmith

Anyone Know about becoming a Drum tech?

It's important to remember that not all drum techs are touring techs. Both Cody and myself tech recording sessions here in New York on the regular. I wouldn't ever want to be a touring tech but I love doing sessions, plus the pay vs. time is far greater in my experience. Speaking from...
  16. BenOBrienSmith

Vic Firth Discontinuing Quite A Few Models (mostly "Signatures")!

This is one of the reasons why D'Addario established six-pair bricks as the norm for ProMark and even started making plenty of models available without any minimum order quantity.
  17. BenOBrienSmith

Vic Firth Discontinuing Quite A Few Models (mostly "Signatures")!

If anything it looks like Rupp's is really doing a solid for you by alerting you as to the situation and providing an opportunity to order before these models are gone for good. Often times you'll find out about discontinuation after it's too late. Based on the context provided, it doesn't sound...
  18. BenOBrienSmith

Best Drumhead set under $150?

I was very impressed with the heads from Attack when we (Sounds Like a Drum) spent several months going through the majority of their lineup. Based on a blanace of price and quality, I'd say that you can't go wrong with their offerings. Just keep in mind that drumheads, like tuning preferences...
  19. BenOBrienSmith

Metal vs Wood - these Snares Sound the Same - Video by Sounds Like A Drum

Just want to clarify a few things- The number of subscribers a channel has is no indication as to whether or not it is monetized. Our channel is in fact monetized, we'd make significantly more flipping burgers at a minimum wage fast food joint. As for making videos for free- we aren't charging...
  20. BenOBrienSmith

Metal vs Wood - these Snares Sound the Same - Video by Sounds Like A Drum

To the contrary, it was the ideal choice for this video as the two drums easily disproved the broad stroke generalizations about metal vs wood snare drums. There's more subtlety and nuance to it all.
Back