Search results

1. bongoman

Inde drums - wood shells or the thin aluminum shells?

I haven’t owned, but I have tried them out in shops several times. Firstly their hardware is great, I’m a fan. The wood shells sound fantastic, both types he offers. A “studio mod” kit is high on my wish list. The metal shells… they have had some weird harmonics and unwanted tones that I just...
  2. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

I just replaced the video with one that I think does a better job of showing how the ride actually sounds. The previous video wasn’t “wrong”, but it exaggerated some sound qualities that don’t match how it really sounds.
  3. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

Here’s a quick n dirty of the new flat. Note, the compression (phone and YouTube) makes it sound more washy and sustaining than it is in real life. I’ll also post a comparison with my other flats sometime soon. They aren’t Ufips though.
  4. bongoman

Premier Royal Ace snare - what’s it worth?

I muddied the waters a bit because I forgot it had a non original strainer. The original one required special wires or extra trouble to make it work. The strainer you have on there now works fine with normal wires, so you don’t have to do anything.
  5. bongoman

Premier Royal Ace snare - what’s it worth?

Just as a heads up you will need to do some fiddling with sailor knots to fit non-original wires on there and adjustable properly. There’s a video on YouTube about it.
  6. bongoman

Without the Invention of Air Conditioning in 1902, How Would Your Life Be Different?

Let us also remember Frederick McKinley Jones, “the father of mobile refrigeration”! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_McKinley_Jones
  7. bongoman

HiHat stand slow opening

The ring at the bottom of the area you circled
  8. bongoman

Help with cymbal ID :)

For Zildjian you’re right, I’ve never ever seen a “thin” 70s Z flat. I only mentioned the range because other brands have made them.
  9. bongoman

Also for reference photos, if you search on “flat ride” on ebay or Reverb you’ll see tons of examples.
  10. bongoman

Zooming in on the embossed stamp, it looks like a 1970s model. They didn’t have reliable weight designations, but for an 18”, around 1400 grams is thin, 1600 grams is medium, 1800 and up is heavy. Heavy ones are less popular these days.
  11. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

I do have rivets in two of my other flat rides; I like them a lot, but I haven’t decided if I want them in this new one yet.
  12. bongoman

Please post a photo, especially if you can also get a clear closeup of any ink label or engraved/stamped brand. With no bell, that’s called a flat ride. Invented by Paiste in the late 60s, copied by Zildjian and everyone else since then.
  13. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

Oh that’s just up to personal taste. In the next couple days I’ll try to post a video so you can hear if this one is to your taste.
  14. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

Yes, definitely. It’s crispy enough to use in hard bop, pretty enough to use in ambient spacey music. 1650 grams, so it’s more chime and less papery. I have a couple of 20” flats that I would prefer as my main ride in a piano trio, but I wanted this 18 to pair with a washier traditional large ride.
  15. bongoman

Ronald Bruner Jr.

Oof, you could see the tension in him way before the cymbal stand failed, and that tension escalated till he blew up at the stage hand. Looked like Jaco in his final years. I don’t know his personal business but he looks like he needs help with whatever he’s battling.
  16. bongoman

UFIP cymbals

This 18” Experience just joined my flat ride family. It’s gorgeous, crystalline and lush, with a short but very pleasant sustain. I’ll post a video sometime soon.
  17. bongoman

NGD: British Drum Company Imp Kit

I was thinking a coated 2 ply batter would increase the depth and warmth; while a clear with dot batter could go the other direction, more of a rock tom sound. At least some experimental options. Same tuning or higher.
  18. bongoman

NGD: British Drum Company Imp Kit

Your playing sounds great! Nice articulation. I don’t personally *love* either of the tom sounds, so I would keep experimenting with heads if it was me. Maybe two ply or black dot? On the other hand the sound you have might work well in a band mix
  19. bongoman

Is the drummer population aging?

I remember kids being assigned percussion in school, and being sent home with a snare, a glockenspiel, and a music stand for reading sheet music and lesson books. The school provided all of that at no cost. It was part of the school budget to have snare drums to loan to kids. Today, that’s a...
  20. bongoman

Is the drummer population aging?

Also re “kids have their phones”: —how many of *you* at your age spend your free time staring into your phone, on here or facebook, while still being in a band, practicing, or at least thinking of yourself as a musician? —do you know how much music is created using laptops and tablets these...
Back