Search results

1. P

Alex Van Halen Selling His Drum Gear in June Auction

This is a great article as well. I was reminded, when I read it, about Wolfie. I’ve been impressed by his music, but the thing I noticed most is how good of a drummer he is. He could easily be a top-tier drummer in a supergroup… his drumming is that good to me IMHO.
  2. P

What a great podcast! Very informative. Alex is as innovative as his brother… those drums are space-age. Does anyone else of note use the extra-long, doubled up kick drums? They keep talking about how low he sits on the throne and how he puts the hi-hats as high as they can go. I think Tommy...
  3. P

I Need a Smaller size Ride Cymbal

Wow, interesting idea Jda… And the bottom hi-hat idea sounds interesting as well, but come to think of it, a 16” might be better. Or like the others have said, it’s probably a bad idea in general. The electronic cymbal is not too bad, but you can hear the plastic being hit when the drum kit...
  4. P

I Need a Smaller size Ride Cymbal

I have a Roland VAD 306 kit, but I’ve replaced the electronic cymbals with real ones… all except for the ride cymbal. I really want to have a real ride cymbal, but it needs to be about 14”, because that’s the size of the Roland electronic ride and the size is important here. Can anyone...
  5. P

Phone/tablet setlist app

This is a depressing thread. When I was younger and starting out in a gigginhg band, we just wrote the setlist in large letters on a big piece of paper or cardboard on the floorso we could all see it and we just made the music work by ear. No machines or gadgets to keep time; we just all knew...
  6. P

I think it’s trivial how he is just dumping all of this equipment. Only Alex can make those drums sound like VanHalen – look at what his brother did with those Dennis-the-Menace DYI guitars. I honestly believe that one day in the future , probably after Alex dies — everyone will realize what...
  7. P

Whatcha Reading Right Now?

I love his earlier classics, but I’ve been reading some of his more recent work. I read 11/22/63 a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool and imaginative… I like time travel stories. Also Fairy Tale was surprisingly good too.
  8. P

What's a recent compliment you've received lately about your playing?

I received a comment years ago that has stuck with me… a humorous memory. I was in a hard-rock/classic metal cover band down in Louisiana and we got hired to play at a local fair/festival. We ended up being slotted between a little Cajun French band and a beauty contest, so we were kind of...
  9. P

Cases For Electronic Drum Kits

Thanks, that’s the first thing I found. Do you have one of these? Or have you seen one in person?
  10. P

Kansas City or St. Louis music scenes?

Thanks. How do you like KC in general? Are you happy and comfortable living there?
  11. P

Thanks, this is very good and useful info
  12. P

Interesting… I love Ahead sticks and I even have a 13” Ahead Black on Chrome snare drum. I’ve never heard of the OGIO Sled hardware bag. Is that thing big enough for handling a lot of drum kit stands and gear?
  13. P

I’m shopping around for some cases for my Roland VAD 306 kit. I’ve found some Gator cases that are designed especially for electronic drums, but I’m wondering if anyone has alternative options or ideas.
  14. P

I’m seriously thinking about relocating to Missouri and am trying to decide whether to try out Kansas City or the St. Louis area. Does anyone here have experience – either good or bad – about those areas? I imagine the music scenes in both areas are quite healthy, but haven’t been there in so...
  15. P

YouTube to MP3 conversion program.

I don’t have the download link on hand, but I use TCA MediaDownloader and it’s great. Just copy and paste the YouTube URL and it generates MP3 in seconds. I download entire albums with one button press.
  16. P

Christine or Stevie

I gotta go Christine. Stevie is great too and I’ve always pictured her as a sexy genie that comes out of a magic lamp. But Christine’s voice is the right amount of femininity and grace. But, to be totally honest, Linda Ronstadt is my dream girl! Brunettes rule!
  17. P

“Ringo: The Movie” Coming to Theaters in 2027

I think this will be very cool and interesting. The Beatles have always fascinated me and I love reading about their history. I can’t imagine how fate chose those four guys to spark an international sensation so powerful and out of control that it qualified as mania. Those guys must have been...
  18. P

Your biggest mistakes as a beginner drummer

Two things I’ve learned later in life that I wish I’d done early on in my drumming experience. First is to record myself often and listen to what I sounded like. I’m talking about recording myself practicing alone and also when playing with others. When I started recording myself, I was amazed...
  19. P

What's the easiest song you have a hard time playing?

This video is absolutely riveting and fantastic! It not only showcases and demonstrates how incredible Alex Van Halen is as a drummer, it further proves that Mike Portnoy is one of the greatest rock drummers around today. He not only shines as a great Prog drummer in Dream Theater, he also plays...
  20. P

What's the easiest song you have a hard time playing?

The drums on the guitar solo part on Van Halen’s Jump. Jump is such a simple pop song, but I cannot figure out what Alex is doing on that guitar solo part. I still can’t do it to this day.
Back