Search results

1. Jonathan Curtis

The Most Important Instructional Book in Your Drumming Journey

There were probably two defining moments for me. The first was discovering Gary Chaffee's Patterns series, specifically Sticking Patterns. I just inhaled the concept, and it not only changed my drumming completely, but kickstarted my YouTube channel, as early videos demonstrating and explaining...
  2. Jonathan Curtis

Deliberate Practice - Methodology and Practice Skills

Yeah, agree with @toddbishop , not seeing the section you’re talking about.
  3. Jonathan Curtis

I had another listen to my own performance and I’m pretty satisfied with my interpretation. The pulse is still there, and it’s in line with the traditional approach to crushed rolls, where there is a perceptible delay in the accent as the roll “doesn’t quite fit”. John Wooten talks about it in...
  4. Jonathan Curtis

I may as well throw my full performance into this mix. This is the same recording as from the podcast episode:
  5. Jonathan Curtis

I'm not quite sure I follow. The easiest way to get the basic feel for bar 9 (and 11) is as follows. Begin with four 16th notes: 1 e + a, R L R L. Now, the scond and third strokes each become LLRR, four 64th notes in the space of one 16th note: R llrr llrr L R llrr llrr L, the e and the and...
  6. Jonathan Curtis

Actually, I think you will find something of use. When discussing deliberate practice, I talk about how the most important first step is setting an achievable and measurable goal. When somebody has limited practice time, this step become the most important. Please let me know, once you've had...
  7. Jonathan Curtis

Thanks Paul! A good starting point for many of the broader concepts in Andrew Huberman of Stanford University. He has a major podcast and YouTube series that covers many of the cutting edge models. Beyond that, I’ll see if I can find my collection of citations and get back to you. A lot of...
  8. Jonathan Curtis

Hand Pain

Have a look at this playlist for some in depth explorations of technique. If you are still getting pain after implementing these principles, it may be injury related.
  9. Jonathan Curtis

Hi all, I have always been fascinated by the act of practising. Ahead of research for a new book, I have made this the topic of this week's Snare Drum Virtuoso Podcast episode. In it, I talk about the five pillars of deliberate practice: - Goals - Focus - Feedback - Repetition - Reinforcement...
  10. Jonathan Curtis

What helps you increase your speed?

Wow, I'm being quoted! Put it on my epitaph! (Thanks for the shout-out.)
  11. Jonathan Curtis

Let me know how you go and report back!
  12. Jonathan Curtis

Rudimental Rondo - Joseph Tompkins (snare drum solo)

Here is my performance of Rudimental Rondo, by Joe Tompkins: Hope you enjoy! - J
  13. Jonathan Curtis

Interesting topic! I did a big video about this a little while ago. I'm not sure if my opinions are somewhat divisive, but here is my take on it, for what it's worth:
  14. Jonathan Curtis

Mastering Technique Through Repertoire | How to Learn a Snare Solo

Hopefully this video will be of interest to some of you. In it, I discuss the practical side of learning a piece, and how doing so can bring improvements to technique. I hope you enjoy:
  15. Jonathan Curtis

The Snare Drum Virtuoso Podcast - Discussing the Rudiments

You obviously hadn't smashed that notification bell!!!! (thanks for the kind comments)
  16. Jonathan Curtis

Yep, they already are: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIBi-86_El8Ny1hrSmSp-QLiviQN8l4E&si=7d_6GCgBrMmVFqas
  17. Jonathan Curtis

Hi all, Episode 2 of the SDV Podcast is available now. My main topic of discussion here is, of course the rudiments. I aim to present a coherent account of how we might better understand and conceptualise the rudiments, and view them in a much broader light. My main argument is that we should...
  18. Jonathan Curtis

"20 Modern Snare Drum Solos"

Hi Dan, As a fellow snare drum composer, I'd love to check out this book. Where is the best place to buy it? Many thanks, and congratulations! Jonathan
  19. Jonathan Curtis

Whats the hardest drum part you know?

Probably this one: :ROFLMAO:
Back