Search results

1. KJIB

Not getting distracted into getting count wrong...

I had no previous music training at all. I actually started on a Nintendo toy that we got for the kids, (came with a plastic guitar, "drumkit" & microphone). I played it with the kids. One of the kids fancied playing drums, we got her lessons & got a very basic e-kit. I started "playing" it...
  2. KJIB

Singing along; no, I've not been able to sing along reliably! But I have tried to learn vocals in a few of the tunes & even put the words into boxes where each bar is to see if I could sing & somehow use that like a count. Perhaps that's possible but I didn't get it to work. My timing went...
  3. KJIB

Teach' suggests a mix of the things here. He's aware that I tend to be perhaps overly analytical & so there's some emphasis on having some practice where the aim is to largely let go & try to just get into a tune & play along without knowing it but there's also emphasis on playing stuff properly...
  4. KJIB

A lot of interesting & good advice here folks, thank you. Some people asked what type of music; it's mostly just about the easiest rock; e.g. Where Is My Mind (Pixies), Creep (Radiohead), She Sells Sanctuary (The Cult) etc. I try to learn these with the sheet music to start with & then play...
  5. KJIB

I've tried just counting notes which is a mixed bag for results. It's adequate for simple grooves but occasionally something either trickier or, oddly much simpler (say just a crash on note 1 then nothing until the next bar) means I drift too much & others notice (so, at the moment, I have to...
  6. KJIB

So, in my late 50's & have been taking a few lessons a month for about 3 years now. I've played tunes I've learnt at 3-4 relaxed jams over the years. I previously practiced for circa an hour a day & I've been able to increase this to more like 2 hours a day recently. Increasing the amount of...
  7. KJIB

Weird exercise for my right foot that is working.

Sat at the computer reading things on this forum I decided to start a variation of your exercise. I rest the full weight of one leg on the other foot then do 100 reps lifting at the ankle then swap (since hopefully it'll benefit both feet). My left shin area starts burning around 80 reps, right...
  8. KJIB

New challenges

3 tweaked: Right foot playing hi-hat but not locked, (left foot playing kick). Might need a remote HH pedal unless you re-arrange the kit a lot. Remote HH pedal was a lot less money than I expected (as I guess there's not much demand) & was using an electronic kick which was small & easy to...
  9. KJIB

Anyone else found that wearing a ring affects playing?

I found that after slowly upping my tempo for a roll, after not a very high tempo, it started to sound "wrong". But this is not trying to do a crazy fast tempo, something most people would find trivial, (at 140 bpm sixteenths for a 4/4 whole bar, it was already "wrong"). What I found is that my...
  10. KJIB

Using the free "Cakewalk" tool to check your timing.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the practice section or e-kit section but in theory you could put contact mics on an acoustic via an e-drum-in(?) (or whatever) and do the same as with an e-kit so everyone could use this. Check your timing (not just relative to the metronome but relative...
  11. KJIB

Electric VS acoustic drum feel.

I like the drums on most kits & on higher end kits I think that the mesh heads & responsiveness are OK. But, even on a top end electronic kit, for me the cymbals are not there yet. Especially the hi-hats which are still a fairly weak imitation. The plus side of this is that I can browse...
  12. KJIB

Has anyone heard of /tried Melodics as a way to learn drums?

I used it for about a year and it was fun, as a toy. I found it annoying that you could not have conventional music notation. Even more annoying was sometimes different tunes put different instruments on a different line. It was also annoying not being able to add my own things to practice to...
  13. KJIB

Advantages of having the kit setup high or low?

I went to a festival and 2 consecutive drummers (on different kits) had their instruments set up very differently. The 1st drummer (of the band Egyptian Blue) had his kit set up very low. It didn't appear disadvantageous to him, I'd describe the sound a being very staccato, not sure how else...
  14. KJIB

Drum notation software

Aered seems mostly fairly intuitive to use but has some potential flaws, depending what you want. Here's the flaws (for me) that I spotted & I hope that they'll fix them soon:- 1) It doesn't resize the icons for the screen you're using so on a 4K monitor you need an electron microscope to see...
  15. KJIB

How much practice on a new tune with & without metronome?

So I am beginner / intermediate & learning a few manageable cover tunes to play with other musicians. I use "Moises" to play the track we're learning when not with the other people I play with so can switch on/off the drums & a metronome track. Lately I've been practicing in 3 ways:- (1) with...
  16. KJIB

What do you use for practice on holiday?

That looks interesting, what is is?
  17. KJIB

I get what you're all saying about holiday time with your other half being special. Having said that, there's ALWAYS a time when I'm waiting for other people & I also tend to get up sooner so there's always a time when I can practice without impinging on the holiday & I try to make sure that...
  18. KJIB

Wow, that is fantastic :cool:
  19. KJIB

Oh yes, and you can play tunes from your mobile (or whatever so Moises for me) and you can record them. I don't think I'm quite ready to record a tune on it just yet :eek:🤣
  20. KJIB

So I just got this: So far I've tried a couple of simple tunes on it, (She Sell Sanctuary & Miss You, both the cut down Trinity versions), and I'm definitely not ready to go live with it just yet 🤣 But it's meant to be just something small & v portable so I can try to practice some tunes while...
Back