Search results

1. dboomer

Shell size - newb question

Then the test is no longer fair. Again wavelength. There is a minimum necessary but no maximum. You only need a certain fraction of a wavelength, not the whole thing because as it bounces around inside that fraction gets multiplied. But you are not hearing the wave inside that is bouncing...
  2. dboomer

You have two identical drums … same shells, same hardware, same heads and both tuned to the highest pitched drum?
  3. dboomer

No, it absolutely is physics. How can the shell that basically receives it energy from a vibrating head compare to a head that you have struck with a stick? A 2” bass drum? Then please tell me exactly why removing the reso head essentially kills the sustain as the shells are still free to...
  4. dboomer

When you strike a drum most of the energy from that strike vibrates the heads because you strike the head. Sometimes you can actually see the heads vibrating. For wood to vibrate it has to take energy away from vibrating heads and heads are a much much bigger part of the sustain. Did you ever...
  5. dboomer

Don’t confuse tone/timbre with sustain. Deeper shells will sound “fatter” because you will lose higher harmonics. The major component of sustain is the drum heads acting together. Tune them to the identical pitch and you’ll get max sustain regardless of the depth. Take the reso head off and...
  6. dboomer

Actually a tiny part. The heads move much more than the shells and the shells move even less the larger they are since you are sending X amount of energy over a larger surface if the shells are large. The shells don’t “amplify” the energy, they just absorb it. More shell, more absorption...
  7. dboomer

It’s simple physics. When you hit a drum head it generates a wave that travels down to the reso head. Then it bounces off the reso head back up to the batter head and vibrates it, and on and on, back and forth. That wave is gonna diminish in power the longer it travels so how many times it...
  8. dboomer

Diameter affects the head tension you’ll need/get tuning to a particular pitch. A drum with a larger diameter will need more tension to achieve the same pitch as a smaller one will. So this affects your “feel”. Shell depth affects timbre. A deeper shell will tend to favor lower harmonics...
  9. dboomer

Tonewings

And think how much better they will be when the company upgrades them to "G" holes ;)
  10. dboomer

Tonewings

Looks like another major nreakthrough 😉
  11. dboomer

Tuning..✨️

It’s not the only way ;) You can use a drum dial, tune-bot or especially a resotune. If you tune both the same for max sustain it’s not a much of a problem. But if you tune your reso tighter to control overtones you get an entirely different fundamental pitch than either head will be by itself.
  12. dboomer

Tuning..✨️

Seems funny to mute one head while tuning the other as when you actually play the drums you are gonna hear both heads (and how they interact).
  13. dboomer

What's your latest purchase?

My new Inde Studio Mod bop kit. Wow, this this sounds round and mellow And for some reason is the easiest to tune kit I have ever had.
  14. dboomer

My NAMM 2024 report

That’s essentially the way Music Messe (a much bigger show) is. But I can tell you that manufacturers in general hate public day. It’s total chaos.
  15. dboomer

Is German/American/French Grip dead?

I use the both depending on which hand is hitting which drum or cymbal. Just think of which way if more comfortable on your wrist. I try to minimize arm movement. Fingers move faster than wrists which move faster than elbows which move faster than shoulders.
  16. dboomer

Swapping to Ribbons for Overheads

I’m a big fan of ribbons especially for overheads. If you need to boost the highs they don’t crap out like condensers do. They are extremely fast so they catch transients better.
  17. dboomer

That elusive?sound (in your head)

I remember reading a two issue article in Modern Drummer magazine in the early 90’s that featured 40 famous drummers. Seemed like any time one of them would say “always do this”. The next guy would say “never do that”. ;) I think one of the biggest problems we have discussion what tuning or...
  18. dboomer

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

And then there is always "Honky Tonk Woman". The cowbell actually starts on one but the first snare hit is on 3 before the normal 2&4
  19. dboomer

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

I still have trouble with this one. Let me add this - The Red One, Pat Metheny and John Scofield
  20. dboomer

Need A New Drum Stick Bag

I’m having difficulty understanding why anyone would pay $100 and up for a bag to hold sticks. There are dozens of no name ones available for less than $20. I have a cheap one that has lasted over 25 years so far. I mean … it’s a bag :)
Back