Search results

1. Merlin5

Brass Piccolo

Just got my old 1980s Yamaha SD493 back that a friend borrowed. I haven't played it in a long time but I've cranked the bottom head really tight, adjusted the batter head to medium high tuning and it sounds amazing now. I think I'll put a fresher top head on it as this one looks grubby. Looking...
  2. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Yeah I thought it was probably a 1970's 400 just from seeing the internal muffling know. Nice! I bought a new 400 last year and love it. Ah ok, I'll look into them some more. Speaking of current mid tier kits being as good or almost as good as older top tier kits, I found an interesting video...
  3. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Yeah that cymbal holder is cool. I have a similar three way yamaha tom holder and often use the front most hole to mount a splash. That looks like a nice Ludwig 400 snare you have there? I must say, I do also like the black oyster finish on your kit. I have a Sakae Trilogy snare with basically...
  4. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Thanks, excellent information and that's what I needed to find out. It's a nice looking kit but I did wonder why it's so cheap and now I know why. I'll stay away from the AQ2 then.
  5. Merlin5

Considering new kit

That's a cool idea! (y) Awesome, thanks.(y) Guys, just to throw a spanner in the works for a moment, do any of you have any experience of this Sonor AQ2 kit? https://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_aq2_stage_set_whp.htm Same sort of price range as the Renown, even less actually, and the same 7 ply...
  6. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Thanks GetAgrippa. :) I've been checking more videos and I do think they sound nice and warm. Question about the double tom holder. Is it possible to remove either of the L shaped ball joint arms when only gigging with one mounted tom?
  7. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Thanks, not heard of Barton but will check them out. Thanks to everyone for their help, I really appreciate it! cbphoto, I must admit I've always been very attracted to the Tama Starclassic and they have lots of beautiful finishes. A few years ago I thought if I ever bought another kit it...
  8. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Thanks guys. So now I'm torn between what IBitePrettyHard said about how good the Renown actually is and what Bo Eder said about staying with top tier shells. :D Hmm, tricky one. It sounds like the Renown shells are really good which is much better than I expected to hear. But Bo Eder has a...
  9. Merlin5

Considering new kit

Hi guys. I've started seriously thinking about buying a new kit. I currently play a Yamaha 9000 RC in cherrywood from the 1980s and they've been my everyday gigging kit for years and years. They still sound great but I'm bored of the look of them and I really don't want power tom sizes anymore...
  10. Merlin5

Crash/Ride

Can't go wrong with any of these.
  11. Merlin5

New Ride Cymbal

Actually, playing mine last night, it sounds the same as the ones over 2200g that I heard demoed at memphis drum shop on youtube so I'm probably imagining that the lighter ones sound different. Yeah, they look like morse code to me. :D Those little lines are on all of the dark rides, in fact...
  12. Merlin5

New Ride Cymbal

Nice. At first I thought that ride to the right of the tom might have been a Signature Agop as it looks similar to an Agop I have. I bet the Turk Ks sound sweet. Hah yeah, I can see why Bo, it's just got that sound that seems like it's going to work for most styles. I can't wait to play it!
  13. Merlin5

New Ride Cymbal

I was going for second hand on ebay but decided I wanted newer and shinier and was happy to pay a little more. I contacted a drum shop who kindly broke up a cymbal pack for me to grab the ride and priced it as ex display even though it's brand spanking new and I'm the first person to put a stick...
  14. Merlin5

Sliding drum mat

Some good ideas there. You know what, I think your suggestion of velcro hook & loop might be the answer. I was a bit concerned about anything 'gluey' going directly onto the tiles but to be honest, a couple of small strips might be enough to hold the mat and I'm sure I could remove any sticky...
  15. Merlin5

Sliding drum mat

Hi guys. For my gigs I have a proper drum mat with grippy textured rubber backing that doesn't move. But at home with my electric practise kit I have a cheap mat with a rubber backing that is smooth and has no grip. This was fine until I decided to cut up the mat and just keep a small section of...
  16. Merlin5

Tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat

Thanks guys. I received the Loctite on the weekend so I'll be putting a little dab of it on later. Winston Wolf, thing is I have to unscrew the top rod and upper tube otherwise the hi-hat is too long to fit in my hardware case. It's not a problem for me doing that though, only takes a second...
  17. Merlin5

Tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat

Awesome, thanks. I just ordered it. (y)
  18. Merlin5

Tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat

That's a very good suggestion. I've got some epoxy glue but if I ever need to break the glue away I think it might be difficult. Is this 242 the correct Loctite? I believe there's a red and a blue 242 but this looks like the blue one...
  19. Merlin5

Tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat

Hi guys. I've owned my IC hi-hat for many years and still like it. When I pack it away I always unscrew the top rod and remove it along with the top tube. However, quite often it unscrews the complete rod where the footplate drops away from the thread at the bottom of the rod that holds it. I...
  20. Merlin5

New Snare Cases

Yeah, my Gretsch bag came in a DW snare drum box but with a label on saying from Gewa in Germany. I didn't think of that, yeah, I could put a spare head in that space. :) It's a pity they aren't in the US. I suppose you could import one but that might be a bit expensive.
Back