Search results

1. ottog1979

Connecting with Other Musicians On Line

So the "How do you describe your playing on CL" thread prompted this question: What sites other than CL do you find are the most useful in meeting other musicians when you need to fill a vacant band position? I'm in San Diego and have used Bandmix but it's about the same as CL.
  2. ottog1979

Alternative to Tama Rhythm Watch RW200?

I need it less consistently than I used to, but I use a Tama RW200 on my kit at gigs to be sure the band gets song tempos right and to avoid the "stage adrenaline rush". I used the 30-spot programmable feature and my little personal system works great for me keeping things super groovey...
  3. ottog1979

Staying in the Pocket over the entire gig

Had two gigs with the same band this weekend (I'm in two). The second gig, Sunday afternoon, was killer. The band played great, in the groove and was well-received with a full dance floor for nearly all of the 3 hours. So I was thinking during and after the gig... At times elusive, but...
  4. ottog1979

The Second Snare

I use a second snare for different voicing on a handful of songs for the night (4-set cover band). Not so much using the second snare often in many songs but instead switching out for specific songs. My main snare is medium-low for most rock. The switch-out snare is higher voiced. Just...
  5. ottog1979

How Long to Find a Band...

...that you can be in for a while? I'm wondering about experiences of others in this regard. How hard has the been for you? Was it quick or did it take a lot of trial & error? What do you put up with to be in a good band with gigs but difficult personalities (if at all or anything)? It...
  6. ottog1979

Simple Audio Editing Software?

A few months back I bought a Zoom H1 for practice and gig recording. It's a great tool! I'm looking for some simple software to edit clips of songs and perhaps re-arrange songs. Want something simple as I don't have enough time to invest in getting up to speed with a ProTools or Ableton Live...
  7. ottog1979

How long do you get out of a pair of sticks?

I'm not talking about breaking them. I practice almost daily for an hour or so and rehearse twice a week with bands for 3 hours each. I seem to get only 2-3 weeks out of a pair of sticks at best. Mostly hi-hat but also cymbal playing chips the shoulders down and at some point changes...
  8. ottog1979

What Do You Do for a Living?

Just for some interesting fun, if you're not lucky enough to make a living playing or in music, what do you do for a living? Disclaimer/guidance: I participate in another non-music related forum and posts to this question were varied and interesting. That said, it devolved into how much...
  9. ottog1979

Weaning from Click/Live BPM/Click Tracks?

The last few months I've really been focusing on keeping a steady meter. It became apparent that I didn't always do this and drifted BPM more than I'd like to admit or was aware of prior to now. So, I've been using a programmed metronome to get band songs started and Live BPM during the song...