Search results

1. EarthRocker

Snare drum looks off...

I recently tried the Mapex Mars drums and fell completely in love with them. Seriously, those kits are fantastic. So fantastic I went out and iimmediately bought one in the 'Rock 24' configuration. Recently, after tuning my snare drum up (new head), I noticed that it seems like some lugs are...
  2. EarthRocker

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Over the last few years I've been telling everyone who talks about it, that Buddy Rich did not use a finger technique to get his fast strokes. And yet legions of drummers on forums and Youtube claim they've figured out "Buddy Rich's hand technique." and when you read or watch it, it's fingers...
  3. EarthRocker

Moving Past Sickness?

As drummers, we have a more physical role in the music, often using all four limbs at the same time. I know I've played rehearsals, and even a few gigs, and the last thing I wanted to do is play those drums because of illnesses I've had. As of right now, I have a pretty intense sinus infection...
  4. EarthRocker

Repairing Drum scuffs?

Hope there isn't another thread about this I have some drum shells that have been scuffed and scratched pretty good. I've attempted to refinish the drums, but the scuffs are so deep they kinda' stick out like a sore them (most of them are on the under side of the bass drum, and there is a good...
  5. EarthRocker

Why order steak well done?

I've googled this, and can't find a real answer that makes since, so I decided to look into personal answers. I was just spending some time at the grill, and I thought surely I can't be the only fellow here who enjoys a big juicy slab of beef. So if any of you order, or even prepare your steak...
  6. EarthRocker

Misheard Song Lyrics?

I was just listening to a classic rock station, and the Steve Winwood hit "Higher Love" came on. I really like the tune, but it made me recall when I was a younger guy and I heard the song for the first few times. I was under the impression that the song was called "HIred Love", and I was...
  7. EarthRocker

Cymbal Quality Over Price

I notice a lot of reviews on Youtube of so called "beginner" or "budget" cymbals. And every time I watch the videos, I hear cymbals in the set and think "That sounds fine. I wouldn't mind using it." and then I scroll down, and I see hundreds of comments "Those sound like trash - save your money...
  8. EarthRocker

First Rehearsal Jitters

So I've been playing drumss for more than ten years, and while I don't consider myself a great drummer, I think I can hold my own, and certainly do well given the right sort of music. But every time I go to audition, or jam with someone for the first time, I always get the jitters. I think it's...
  9. EarthRocker

I Seem To Be Getting Away With Playing Drums In My Apartment

There are a lot posts in regard to people who are playing drums in apartment buildings. First of all I'll start by saying that we live in apartments that are actually clusters.We live in one joined rectangular building. There are three households, and each building has it's own front and rear...
  10. EarthRocker

An unusual problem with tuning

Most of the time, when someone posts something about tuning, they say that their rack tom(s) sounds fine, but they can't get their floor tom to sound right. I have the opposite problem. My floor tom sounds great to me. I can tune it in a variety of different ways and it always sounds good. But...
  11. EarthRocker

Band Not Wanting To Stay In Time?

Let me start this by saying that I'm not bragging, but I was blessed with a good sense of time. And I believe that practicing with a metronome has only sealed my ability to know where the 1 is, and make sure it falls in the same spot every time. So why in God's name, do so many musicians in my...
  12. EarthRocker

Seeing cymbals for what they are

Around two years ago I adopted the mantra of "no crashes / no rides" only cymbals. I came to this conclusion after noticing that the majority of drummers, especially those with small cymbal configurations (less cymbals) crash on their ride cymbals, and riding on crashes is nothing new either. So...
  13. EarthRocker

Computer Guys Help with video streaming?

I want to watch the videos on jeanpaulgaster.com but they won't play. I've had this issue once before, but it resolved itself. Now it's back. I can watch Youtube videos, and stream every kind of video but these. What's my problem, and could one of you guys tell me how to fix it? Many thanks.
  14. EarthRocker

The Vices!

What are you guys addicted to? Or maybe not even addicted. Something besides drums that you just love too much to quit? For starters, I'm a beer nerd, especially when it comes to Stouts, dark ales, and just about any lager. I prefer craft brews like Flying Dog, Oscar Blues, New Belgium is...
  15. EarthRocker

Clear Snare Head / Coated Snare Head / Muffle

So for a short period of time, I'll be limited to a clear snare batter. I hate it. Is there anything I can do to muffle this head, and make it sound more like a coated head? I've considered remove the head and putting several layers of duct tape in small strips underneath (it acts like a...
  16. EarthRocker

My drums

This is my drum kit. Before anyone spots the fact that it's the lower level Sonor Force series 1007 Stage 2, let me say, in my defense, this drum kit has been refinished (as anyone familiar with Sonor drums will spot right away), the bearing edges have been re-cut, and the hoops have been...
  17. EarthRocker

Coating and Re-Coating heads?

I was thinking the other day, what makes the process of coating a drumhead so special? I love the sound of coated heads, but I can't really find any information on how drum heads are coated in the first place. How could one replicate the coating process? I'm thinking it could be as simple as...
  18. EarthRocker

My daughter's first drum set

I'm super excited about this. My daughter will be turning 3 in December, so for christmas we've order the Gammon five piece drum kit. The booger comes with a 16" bass drum, two rack, and a floor tom. 'Lil crash cymbal, and hi hats. And then I made her a little cymbal stand, and I'm putting an...
  19. EarthRocker

Drumming Barefoot or in Socks?

I've been meaning to talk about this for a long time, but it kept slipping my mind. It seems like almost every metal drummer on Youtube plays in their pearly whites, or barefoot. Even Def Leppard's Rick Allen plays with no shoes or socks. If you do this, how do you feel it benefits you? From...
  20. EarthRocker

Ever been compared to a celebrity / legendary drummer?

I haven't seen any topics quite like this, and I'm sure at some point or another, all of us have had parallels drawn between us and well-known drummers. I was listening to In Through The Out Door, and I recalled a time a year or so ago when someone claimed my style of drumming was similar to...