Search results

1. criz p. critter

NOTHING TO FEAR but fear itself...

Not referring to fear about performing, but fear for my drums! I'm bringing my Purewood Mahogany kit out for a gig tonight. Their first gig ever. I bought them way back in 2006 and so far they have never seen a stage. Which is a dirty shame on my part and really kinda stupid, because they sound...
  2. criz p. critter

Andy Ramsay of Stereolab

Anyone else dig his playing? He's gotta be one of the most unsung drummers of all time. I can't find a mention of him anywhere on the site. Maybe there's not many people here that even listen to Stereolab? He's a real subtle drummer, and that might be why he doesn't stand out and get noticed...
  3. criz p. critter

My band's website... any comments or suggestions?

Hi folks. Would anyone like to check out my band's website? It's been up for a while, but I just finished some improvements. Sometimes it's hard for me to know what works and what doesn't, I'm too close to it, so I'd welcome and appreciate any feedback you'd like to give...
  4. criz p. critter

Check out my Remo Acousticons....

Hey boys and girls... I'd like to show you some pictures of my newest acquisition. You don't see too many of these. I've been doing some reading up since I got them about a week ago. They are early 90s Acousticon 516 shells, with Mastertouch lugs. 22x16, 12x10, 14x14, 14x5 snare, and another...
  5. criz p. critter

Can a mediocre drummer start silly/pointless threads on Drummerworld?

There. Someone had to say it. So I said it.
  6. criz p. critter

criz p. critter's excellent Ludwig adventure...

Maybe some of you remember my post from about 5 weeks ago concerning my brand new Legacy Classic snare that had a number of flaws.... I'm really happy to say that within a day or two of complaining to the local Ludwig rep, I received a call from Ludwig's head of Quality Control. She was super...
  7. criz p. critter

Anyone seen "white rust" inside their drums?

I just recently purchased two drums off ebay, 1976 white cortex Ludwigs. They are both is amazing condition, literally not a mark anywhere on them. However, both drums had "white rust", a thin layer of white powdery oxidation on most of the galvanized steel mounting screws and washers inside the...
  8. criz p. critter

My horrible Ludwig experience...

Hi everyone. I wanted to do a follow-up to my original thread (link at the bottom) from back in April... Brief recap: Original order for my Legacy snare was 1/21/55. When I received it at the end of April it was configured wrong. That turned out to be the shop's fault for specifying the wrong...
  9. criz p. critter

The Squeak King in action...

Hey boys and girls, I got an idea for a fun game whilst driving in my car the other day. How many songs can you think of that feature the Squeak King, front and center, doing its thing? I'll start: Cissy Strut by the Meters and of course the most (in)famous of all... Since I've Been Loving You...
  10. criz p. critter

Questions for the Ludwig gurus, re: Legacy Classic

Hi all... Brief back story: after searching 1-1/2 years in vain for an early 70's 14x6.5" snare in White Cortex (or something suitable I could rewrap), and buying/returning 2 ebay snares that were badly misrepresented, I finally decided to order a new Legacy snare. That was on 1/21/13. The snare...
  11. criz p. critter

Gretsch experts, please help ID this kit

A friend of mine is considering buying this kit. Owner says they are USA Customs. Can anyone tell me what year this would be? What shells it has? I'm thinking it's pretty modern, based on looking at the tom mounts, the bass claws, and the badge. But the badge worries me, because it doesn't say...
  12. criz p. critter

68 Ludwig snare: question about scarf joint

I'm thinking of buying this 68 Ludwig snare that has been re-wrapped by the seller. I've never had a snare with a scarf joint, so I don't know what to look out for. In this pic the joint seems pretty messed up. Is that normal, or does this snare look like trouble?
  13. criz p. critter

Ludwig white cortex wrap... where to buy?

For a couple of years now, I've been looking for a 3-ply 6.5" snare in White Cortex. Pretty hard thing to find. Well, I just scored this snare on ebay, and it's like the perfect candidate for restoring and slapping on some nice white wrap. I don't feel bad about covering up the original finish...
  14. criz p. critter

Best kick for an outdoor show?

Hi guys, quick question. Hoping to get some feedback in the next few hours. I'm playing an outdoor gig later this afternoon. The stage is in an old horse corral! Drums will be unmic'ed. The last time I played this gig, the drum sound just vanished, sucked into all the open space. That was with...
  15. criz p. critter

Being a Drummer... ain't it the truth!

Don't think this has been posted yet... I haven't seen it here, anyway. Something another drummer sent me. Something we can all relate to. I'd laugh if it wasn't so true.
  16. criz p. critter

How to clean paint off drum wrap?

Anyone got any ideas or tips on how to remove paint from drum wrap? I just received a 3-ply Ludwig kick I bought on ebay, and discovered someone used touch-up paint on some small scratched areas. What have you used to soften/remove the paint without damaging the plastic? And what kind of plastic...
  17. criz p. critter

Hollywood Drum Show is this weekend

Hey all, the Hollywood Custom and Vintage Drum Show takes place this weekend, Oct 1 & 2, in Glendale. It's always a great show. Anyone going? http://www.hollywooddrumshow.com/
  18. criz p. critter

Ludwig 3-ply questions

Hey folks, can anyone help me out with some Ludwig 3-ply questions? I just bought an almost pristine 24x14 in white cortex. It's got a B&O badge, serial #1628915. Granitone interior, and the 5/16" spurs. So I figure it's early 70s. But I'd like to better date it, if possible, as well as...
  19. criz p. critter

Drum Battle with Ginger Baker on youtube

My apologies if this has been posted before, but it's new to me... The description from youtube: Cool Drum Battle featuring Ginger Baker, Bobby Graham, Alan Grindley, John Kearns, Bobby Richards, Ronnie Verrell, Andy White, Ronnie Stephenson and Arthur Mullard! Apart from the great Drummers...
  20. criz p. critter

My 3-ply Ludwig e-bay score

Hi all, just wanted show off the kit I won on ebay last Sunday. I'm really excited. This was exactly what I've been looking for to replace my Vistalites for my gig kit. 70s white cortex. All the concert toms and the floor tom are 3-ply with re-rings, and the kick is 6-ply. All the drums are in...