Search results

1. gish

24” bass drum versatility?

Hey all, I have an eye on a good deal for a 13-16-24 kit. 30 years on the instrument, but have only owned 22” and 20” bass drums. I primarily play classic rock/pop/country cover stuff. For those that own or have owned 24” bass drums, do you find them to be versatile? Or do you find yourself...
  2. gish

Suggest Some Cymbals

About me- I’m a weekend gigging drummer playing classic rock/pop stuff. My current cymbal set is fine; 15” new beats, 18” medium thin crash, 21” sweet ride. My cymbals are on the bright side of the spectrum. I find myself wanting a darker, more “mature” sound so to speak. Nothing too crazy...
  3. gish

Flat Base Hardware Opinions

I’m looking to pick up a pack of flat base hardware to lighten my load for gigging and rehearsals. Some initial observations- Tama- love their gear, but looks like they don’t yet have a flat base boom stand. I’d like a boom for ride cymbal placement. Also, looks like in order to pack the...
  4. gish

How much should I cut off?

So, I was THIS close a year and a half ago to having my 18x22 Saturn bass drum cut down to 14x22. However I wound up selling that kit. I now have a Tama Starclassic B/B with an 18x22 virgin bass drum. I really like this kit, and love the way the kick drum sounds as is. Looking for some...
  5. gish

Opinions on Pearl Decade Maple 13-16-24

I’m looking at a great deal on a used Pearl Decade Maple kit in the sizes listed above. I’m intrigued at the thought of adding this kit to complement my 12-14-20 kit for certain situations (plus my wife says I look a little silly playing the smaller drums lol). REALLY intrigued at...
  6. gish

Calling All Rogers Experts

Please take a look at this link; any info on what series these are would be appreciated. Waiting to hear back from the seller. https://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/d/vintage-rogers-drums/6650061900.html
  7. gish

Interesting Craigslist Ad

Here's something you don't see everyday. What do you guys think of the asking price? https://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/d/1970-ludwig-citrus-mod-drum/6572681163.html
  8. gish

Cuttting Down a Bass Drum

I've decided to have my 18x22 Saturn bass drum cut down. I was looking for some feedback from those who have had this done, and maybe helping me decide what depth to go with (leaning towards 14", but 16" is still in play). I'm in eastern PA, if anyone has any suggestions on who to contact to...
  9. gish

Incredibly Overly Muffled Drums

My band has opened up for 2 different touring cover bands at a large local club in the past few months. Each time I had to use the other drummers kit to minimize changeover time, which is fine. Both drummers were talented players, with 1 thing in common. Both drummers muffled their drums to...
  10. gish

Switching to 1 ply

So, I've been playing 2 ply heads on my toms for... well, pretty much forever. However, it seems that my ear is changing, and I'm now finding 2 ply heads to be pretty dull on my toms. I played a gig last week where I was completely uninspired by the sound of my Saturn kit. So, I'm looking to...
  11. gish

Promark Firegrain?

Just heard of a new line of sticks from Promark called Firegrain. Promark is marketing these as the most durable sticks they've ever made. They claim this "Firegrain" treatment or process enhances the strength of the wood. I would think a heat treatment would dry the stick out (the opposite...
  12. gish

Uh oh, I think I like small drums better...

Well, I had a gig this past Saturday night at a smaller local bar that's been putting more pressure on us (all the bands that play there, from what I'm hearing) to keep the volume down. I have a 12-16-22 Saturn kit that I use for live work, and an older Stage Custom 12-14-20 that I use for home...
  13. gish

Tom Head Help

I've been using clear G2s on my Saturn kit for the last few years, always liked the attack of the clear heads. I haven't played a kit with coated heads in quite a while, but had the chance to do so recently (coated G2s). Loved the warmth from them, but again, I missed the more pointed attack...
  14. gish

Really liking the new Pro Marks

In the never ending quest for "the one", I bought a pair of the new Pro Mark Rebound Balance sticks. .595 diameter, same as a Vic Firth 5B. I gave up on Pro Mark a few years ago because I couldn't find straight sticks; consistently warped. I noticed right away that these sticks were perfectly...
  15. gish

Thinking about downsizing

I've been a busy gigging drummer for the past 20 years in eastern PA. I'm curious to hear from other gigging drummers, wherever you may be, about what kind of rooms you find yourself playing these days. Seems like the venues out my way keep getting smaller and smaller, so much so that I'm...
  16. gish

S Hoops and mic clips

I'm looking to purchase S Hoops for my Saturn kit. I have young children who are getting more and more interested in drumming, and I like the idea of installing the S Hoops to protect the bearing edges since my kids are, shall we say, not very accurate yet lol (they love to have a go on dad's...
  17. gish

Mapex Saturn vs Sonor Force 3007

Hey all, I'm a budget-conscious father of 5, looking for a new kit. I sold my Pearl Vision yesterday to a nice kid, and I'm looking at 2 specific kits. First up, there's a used Mapex Saturn (22, 10, 12, 16, no snare), Transparent Black, at my local GC for $699. I'm going to look at it today...
  18. gish

Vintage Ludwig help?

I have the oppurtunity to trade some un-used cymbals for this Ludwig kit. I have been wanting an old Ludwig BAD for some time now. I'm going to check these out tomorrow, and I'm so excited I don't know if I'll sleep tonight. Here's what I know: The toms and kick have re-rings top and bottom...
  19. gish

sonor force 3003?

hey all, i'm looking to pick up a second kit for either gigging or to leave set up at home. someone near me has a sonor force 3003 for sale on craigslist, asking $400, 12, 13, 16, 22, plus the snare, honey maple finish. before i go check them out, i was just wondering if any of you have any...