Search results

1. I

Pearl BCX vs MCX or maple in general

You guys are all a massive help. Thank you so much. I am nervous to waste money and purchase the wrong drums so you guys are all very appreciated.
  2. I

I like pearl drums, they’re my favorite. But I A/B’d a MCT bass drum with an old tama Artstar II bass drum and then an old pearl MRX bass drum and it made me sell my MCT’s. I also noticed the much thicker 12” Artstar II tom tuned lower than the thin 12” pearl MCT tom with same heads. Kind of...
  3. I

Do you have any difficulty turning them low? I’m leaning towards DW drums due to their ability to seemingly tune lower than any other drums I’ve heard but I actually like pearl hardware and pearl as a company better. Everyone has always said the previous pearl masters 7.5 mm thick maple shells...
  4. I

Definitely listening to those different clips I hear the biggest difference being as was mentioned: maple = longer notes, birch = shorter notes. I like maple personally. I enjoy hearing a drum ring out, even when played faster. I can see how birch would sound “clearer” when played faster as no...
  5. I

Epic reply, thank you very much.
  6. I

I suppose words are not bridging the gap successfully for me here. I honestly don’t know what “bright” or “high frequencies” is meant to describe when it comes to what I’m hearing when a drum is played. More high pitch ringing overtones? More stick slap attack on the drum head? Less low pitch growl?
  7. I

I located a great deal on a Pearl BCX kit in the sizes I actually like. The only issue is I've never played a BCX and I've been a pearl guy all my life. I've had VBX, MMX, MRX, MCX, and MCT. The VBX was dryer with less body. I asked the guy what the difference between the BCX and MCX was and he...
  8. I

Round Over Bearing Edges

I definitely don't want to hear only a click but I also don't want to hear only a boom. I want to get articulation AND body. Balance.
  9. I

Round Over Bearing Edges

Bit off topic here but I am actually not a big fan of pearl reference bass drum sound and it's likely due to the full rounded over edges. It blooms beautifully but I don't hear the attack of most bass drums.
  10. I

Heavy Metal/Power Metal Drumming.

There are certainly plenty of blasts going on of multiple types for sure. I'm not a big fan of blasting all the way through a song. Strategically placed seems to serve a more pronounced purpose but this is purely my opinion. I just like what I like, not a metal elitist by any means.
  11. I

Round Over Bearing Edges

You know this goes to show at the end of the day there are so many factors going on that it's best to just go and play a set of drums and go with the one that makes you say "Hey, I love how this sounds.".
  12. I

Tom won’t stop shaking

A lot of people hate on pearl tom mounts and arms used to mount drums....but they are bomb-proof imo when it comes to holding your drums rock solid and unshakable. I've noticed tama and dw toms tend to shake a lot. I too, dislike my toms dancing while I play. This has always been why I favor...
  13. I

In terms of power metal and thrash, yeah, the big classic tom runs think Iron Maiden - Nicko on pretty much everything lol, Metallica - Lars on stuff like Creeping Death that classic tom run intro, Megadeth - Nick on Holy Wars, Slayer - Dave tom runs all the time, etc. In terms of death and...
  14. I

Tama Superstar Drums (vintage original line)

Thank you for correcting this for me. This is good to know for future reference.
  15. I

Sonor SQ2 Drum Configuration.

I'm of the opinion that it's about impossible to have a bad sounding Sonor kit. I played a Sonor Force Birch 2005 kit that cost 400 dollars for like 7 years and it sounded awesome. Those German drum makers just have been making drums too long to mess it up I guess...even though the drums I...
  16. I

You could probably find a good deal on a Tama Starclassic B/B used I'm guessing and it's very appropriate for metal.
  17. I

After a long internal struggle, I did it.

I am right there with you. I remember when fusion sizes first hit the scene, I hated it then and hate it now, it's been decades lol. I will forever not play a rack tom less than 12" now. I actually enjoy 13" rack tom more than 12 and also love 14" rack toms. There's no way I'd use a 14" for a...
  18. I

Round Over Bearing Edges

Round Over Bearing Edge Tuning Range: Yes, I agree with you guys. Every video I've watched after the video originally posted states the contrary, that sharper edges increase tuning range. I am very glad that was caught in this thread. Learned something. IBitePrettyHard: Thanks for that...
  19. I

Round Over Bearing Edges

Well I play fast, really fast, a lot of the time. I play mostly metal and some rock with a lot of double bass work. I can see how drums with not much attack would probably sound like mud for me. I've also determined standard depth toms are better for me than power toms through trial an error. I...
  20. I

Which LM402?

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like that snare. I have a ludwig coliseum snare that is my fav ludwig snare. Super thick 6 ply maple/polar shell, 14x8, chrome, 12 high tension lugs, it's a beauty.