Search results

1. Peedy

Gaffer tape on ride cymbals

I've been thinking about putting some gaffer tape on my two ride cymbals (18 & 20in) for a while. I was wondering what the DW community's experience with it is. How much? Do patterns matter? Type, brand and or width of tape matter? Advice and any photos would be great. Background - been...
  2. Peedy

Band Mascots - Am I the only one?

Our band has a mascot, and his name it Bob. Am I the only one? Pic-1 is in situ. Pic-2 is how he'll probably look this weekend. Any others out there in drumming land? Put up a pic. Pete ps - Bob likes sunshine in the morning, long walks on the beach with his special someone and sick riffs...
  3. Peedy

Cleaning Cymbals - Share your methods / pics

I've been part of a few threads about cleaning cymbals. Admittedly, I own and play old cymbals so I'm going to be looking for a different result than most. But still I've seen a lot of different options and opinions about what works best. I'm always interested to learn new things. Shine a...
  4. Peedy

1966 Catalog - Who makes these U.S. / Imported drums?

My longtime habit of collecting has led me to own more than a few old catalogs. Thumbing through my 1966 Benentt Brothers Catalog has me wondering who makes the drums they sold back then. No brands included with the listing but somebody out there should recognize them. . . I could improve the...
  5. Peedy

12 inch HiHat Users - Benefits? Trade offs?

I finally put together a set of 12in HHs this week. Played the in practice today (liked them very much) but I’m a total noob otherwise. Is this just a phase I’m going through? When do you use them and why? They’re a tad quiet and I don’t use a mic so I also wonder if that’s going to be an...
  6. Peedy

Finally going to use my Premier 2000 - Tuning/other advice?

Well, here goes. I've owned this July 1975 COA Premier 2000 snare drum for going on six years now and I've never actually used it live. It cost me 6-7 times that of my Premier 1005 (big fan of that snare too) so it basically just became a permanent fixture on my home practice kit. BUT - I've...
  7. Peedy

Calling all Trans Stamp HH Players

In my never ending quest for the perfect HHs, I've expanded my vintage Zildjian 15" hats to include a 1947-8 810g Trans Stamp hat. I've paired it with both my 1935ish 1400g and 1960 870g Zildjians. Sounds amazing with both but in different ways. Do you think there's anything to be gained with...
  8. Peedy

OLD 1930s HH set-up - Thoughts? (Photos within)

I have an early 1930s A Zildjian HH cymbal that was clearly used with a smaller pairing, something like what you'd see in the below photo. The wear pattern is exactly 12.25 inches across while the cymbal is 13.75. Questions abound. What does a set-up like that actually sound like? Are there...
  9. Peedy

What drum kit is this? - Plus my vote for greatest Drummer Photo ever

Buddy Miles, 1970. Wow. Amazing on every level. The 70s are comin back to get us! Pete ps - A Zildjians if anybody cares
  10. Peedy

That ONE odd cymbal you never thought would become your favorite?

The Short: I'm cymbal curious and on a whim I bought a couple of vintage Zildjians just because. I thought I was buying them for the early 60s 13in crash (which I like) but this thing has totally blown me away. - 15in / 1440g - probably 30s to mid 40s - huge / deep hammer impacts just...
  11. Peedy

Ummm. . . Why no Zildjians in Turkey?

Had a flash of brilliance and thought I would source out some old K Zildjians from the land of their birth, Turkey. So I searched eBay sellers in Turkey and nothing, nada, zilch, etc. No current or former listings for any Zildjian cymbals of any kind, though tons of current Turkish brands...
  12. Peedy

For a top Hi-Hat: How thin is TOO thin?

Yesterday, I bought a 1930s 14 inch cymbal from an old music store back east. The info I had was that the cymbal was clean, straight and "very light". After getting the tracking info today I suspect the cymbal weighs about 550 grams. Any experience using a top hat that light? Bottom would be...
  13. Peedy

HiHats: 15in New Beat Bottom - Plus?

The quick and dirty is as follows - I've got three quality vintage Zildjian sets of 14in hihats to choose from that weigh in at light, medium and heavy. My issue is that I'm unusually tall for a drummer and so am forced to sit away from the kit. Been thinking of adding a set of 15 inch HiHats...