Search results

1. Jml

Older Yamaha Stage Custom worth it?

I’m still in the market to replace my old kit, and came across a second generation Yamaha Stage Custom shell pack only (no stands, snare or cymbals) for $300. It’s from the early 2000’s with the yellow/black badge and says “Stage Custom Standard”. Sizes are 10, 12, 16, 20. I understand they were...
  2. Jml

Can anyone identify these Mapex drums?

Still in the market for another kit. I came across these. Can anyone tell me what wood they may be made from, and what they may be worth? I’m a newb with older Mapex kits. Thanks.
  3. Jml

Tama Swingstar - How old, and is it worth it?

Guys, I have a chance to buy a 3 piece Tama Swingstar for $150. The sizes are 13, 16, 22. I can’t tell what year these Swingstars are, and I thought some Tama experts out there might know from the photos below. Also wanted to know if it’s worth the cash. The heads are newer apparently. Just...
  4. Jml

Small feet and heel down - which shortboard pedal???

As stated above, I have size 7 1/2 to 8 feet (depending on the shoe). I prefer playing heel down, but can play some heel up. Playing heel down is harder to me with the longboards. I have gone through just about every pedal - all DWs are heavy, (except the 9000, which I couldn’t dial in)...
  5. Jml

First gig ever!

Was on Craigslist looking to add a bass player to our group of guys who just jam for fun. Came across ad looking for worship musicians. The thing is, I don’t belong to this church, listen to Christian music and haven’t been to church in 30 years. But I wanted to step out of my...
  6. Jml

What bass drum is this?

Just got a new (vintage) kit. I’m not sure what type of bass drum I got (the toms are Slingerland and Eames). I’ve attached photos. Drum is 20 x 14. There is no badge (tom mount is a new Pearl one). The wrap and lugs may not be original but rims appear to be. Interior is painted silver, and...
  7. Jml

Port hole necessary in this scenario?

Question - imagine you’re considering a port hole for your bass drum. Now imagine the same bass drum has a rack tom mount, but has NO rack toms in it. So there are 2 holes on the top of the bass drum. Wouldn’t air escape through those holes essentially the same as a port hole (aware of the fact...
  8. Jml

Is Yamaha Stage Custom an upgrade over Sonor Safari?

Biggest differences I see - size of tom (12" vs 10") and bass drum (18' vs 16") and birch construction vs poplar. Both sound good. Yamaha 3 piece shell pack is going for $474, but I would get some $ by trading in my Sonor for the Yammy. So the question is - is it worth it? Kit will be used...
  9. Jml

Ludwig Supralite or Pork Pie Patina Brass???

In the market for an inexpensive, 13 inch metal snare. New Supralite (13 x 6) and used Patina Brass (13 x 7, in excellent condition) both going for about $200. The Supralite is steel, the PP is brass. Supralite is made overseas, the PP in the US. I tried both out and they sound similar. So which...
  10. Jml

Ludwig Heirloom Stainless Steel snare

Anyone own or tried one of these? They have one (14 x 5.5) in local music store used for $300 and I’m thinking about it. Even though it’s steel, it’s very light in weight, looks really nice and sounds pretty good. Only a few video reviews online, so I thought I’d throw it out there and see what...
  11. Jml

What kind of Ludwig snare is this?

It doesn't look like an Acrolite. And what is it worth? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ludwig/14X9-Student-Acrolite-Drum.gc
  12. Jml

Holy s***, I guess I’m a Paiste guy now!

So after having my Zildjian cymbals for a year, and trying out dozens of hi hats and finally deciding today in a store between Dream Bliss and Byzance Dark hats (which I liked), I saw and tried out some Giant Beats hats. It was all over after that. The weight, feel and sound of the hi hats were...
  13. Jml

Meinl Byzance Dark hi hats

I saw and tried a set of used 13 inch Meinl Byzance Dark hi hats at local music store. They have a great “chick” sound, very articulate stick definition and look and feel terrific. They seem somewhat loud and earthy when open. My question is: in what genre would these fit best? I really dig them...
  14. Jml

Stanople hi hats

I have a pair of New Beats hi hats, which I really like but was looking for some different hats for a second pair. I found some inexpensive 14” Paiste Stanople hi hats made in Germany. Turns out they were made in the 50’s. Was looking for a darker, thinner set of hats to maybe use for some jazz...
  15. Jml

Used Ludwig Supraphonic or new Supralite???

Saw two used Supraphonics at a local music store on sale - for $199 each. Same store selling new supralite for $169. Which one would you guys recommend? If it's the used supraphonic, what should I look for to make sure I'm getting a good drum with no major defects or problems? Thanks.
  16. Jml

What type of backup pedal????

So I finally decided on my bass drum pedal after much searching and trying - a new Tama Speed Cobra 910. Very light and smooth. So now here's my dilemma. I currently have a nice Roland e-kit, which is my only drum set (I'm new to drumming...have only been playing 6 months). However, I plan on...