Search results

1. Jml

And just like that, you hate your current gear...

I love my Paiste Giant Beats (Hi-hats, crash and ride) and Paiste 2002 hi-hats....
  2. Jml

Older Yamaha Stage Custom worth it?

Happy to say I’m a proud owner of a Yamaha Stage Custom! Haven’t set up the kit yet and need to get new heads, but here is a preview. It’s 10, 12, 14, 20.
  3. Jml

This is why I'm a member here - you guys are the best! Thanks for all the knowledge. I am going tomorrow to pick up the kit unless someone beats me to it and makes a better offer today. Fingers crossed they're mine tomorrow.
  4. Jml

Here's a close-up sample shot of a similar make, model, year and finish of the one I'm looking at. Isn't that a wrap?
  5. Jml

It's the old Matte Cranberry Red from early 2000's. It has to be a wrap, no?
  6. Jml

I’m still in the market to replace my old kit, and came across a second generation Yamaha Stage Custom shell pack only (no stands, snare or cymbals) for $300. It’s from the early 2000’s with the yellow/black badge and says “Stage Custom Standard”. Sizes are 10, 12, 16, 20. I understand they were...
  7. Jml

best 12" wood snare?

You can find the Pork Pie I mentioned for under $200 new, and cheaper used. Great snare.
  8. Jml

best 12" wood snare?

Pork Pie 12x6 Little Squealer Maple/Birch.
  9. Jml

Can anyone identify these Mapex drums?

Can anyone confirm if the second kit (Mapex M series with rectangular badge) is a basswood with outer maple ply, or actually a birch kit? If it is basswood with an outer maple ply, other than the finish, is there any reason that would be preferable over an all basswood kit?
  10. Jml

Trying Again

Best of luck! Hope it works out! Always good to go outside your comfort zone and try something new.
  11. Jml

I think the lacquer one may be older by a few years, but it’s a better wood. I can also buy something to put legs on the floor tom (although more $). The seller of the first Mapex kit is now insisting for more $ just for the bass drum mount for the rack toms. So more than $100 for a shell pack...
  12. Jml

Perhaps this kit, for slightly more. Lacquer finish as opposed to a wrap. It’s either basswood with outer maple ply, or all birch. Comes with hardware (no snare or cymbals). Only issue is fusion sizes - 10 and 12” rack toms, 14” floor tom.
  13. Jml

Oops. My bad. It look like they ARE the QR series. They did have them in the Burgundy Steel wrap finish. All basswood drums. 12x9, 13x10, 14x5.5 snare, 16x16 and 22x16.
  14. Jml

I think they may be the Q series. The QR had only four wraps, none in that color. Either way I think they’re cheap basswood. The seller won’t (or is too lazy to measure) give me the sizes. I talked him down to $100 but even at that price I think it’s too much.
  15. Jml

Still in the market for another kit. I came across these. Can anyone tell me what wood they may be made from, and what they may be worth? I’m a newb with older Mapex kits. Thanks.
  16. Jml

advise on getting a Cajon

Nice. I’ve used that set up too. Key is to get a bass drum beater that doesn’t damage the cajon. I think Meinl makes a soft one for that.
  17. Jml

advise on getting a Cajon

Have a cajon. Love it. Easy for transporting, not too loud, and makes enough sounds to replace a drum kit in smaller venues. I also have a shaker and foot tambourine to add to the overall sound. One of the best purchases I’ve made. I use mine in one of my church gigs, and will be using it in an...
  18. Jml

Tama Swingstar - How old, and is it worth it?

Yeah can’t tell for sure but it looks like floor tom is 6 lugs. Is that a dealbreaker on a 16” floor tom?
  19. Jml

The drums are on my local Craigslist.
  20. Jml

Guys, I have a chance to buy a 3 piece Tama Swingstar for $150. The sizes are 13, 16, 22. I can’t tell what year these Swingstars are, and I thought some Tama experts out there might know from the photos below. Also wanted to know if it’s worth the cash. The heads are newer apparently. Just...