Search results

1. L

Do your crashes disrupt your time?

I think everyone’s comments about cymbal placement are very helpful. Also (and I’m writing this assuming you are right handed) are you playing this syncopated crash with the same hand as the hi hats? If so, practice playing the crashes with your snare hand. I see a lot of drummers thrown off...
  2. L

Do your crashes disrupt your time?

I think everyone’s comments about cymbal placement are very helpful. Also (and I’m writing this assuming you are right handed) are you playing this syncopated crash with the same hand as the hi hats? If so, practice playing the crashes with your snare hand. I see a lot of drummers thrown off...
  3. L

If you can have only have hi hats/crash/ride...

I’ve two sets depending on where i’m playing. Home: 14” Meinl Byzance Thin Jazz Hats (bottom cymbal over top) 21” Istanbul Agop Special Jazz Ride 20” Sabian Crescent Trash Crash Away: 14” Sabian Artisan Top 14” Zildjian K Bottom 18” Zildjian K Thin Crash 22” Sabian Legacy Heavy Ride
  4. L

Straight hit vs circular movement

This may have nothing to do with your situation so apologies: I’m a drummer first and foremost, but also a singer and I was in a band with a drummer with a very circular left hand. His snare drum never sounded as decisive as you’d expect and that was the reason - his stick glanced off the...
  5. L

Mapex tom mount - a robot in disguise?

What do we feel about the tom mount? It’s not what I’d imagine for a bop aesthetic, but I don’t know if it’s so jarring it’s actually cool?
  6. L

French grip - pain!

I’ve been working on french grip recently and found that my forearm naturally rotates when playing louder - it replaces some motion in the wrist. I’ve found this really comfortable so it might be something to experiment with? Something interesting in this thread is the idea that french grip is...
  7. L

Least responsive heads?

I’m clearly missing something! I thought the whole point of this thread is that the drummer’s stick strikes are NOT of an equal velocity or technique. Anyway, I’m off to look at some crazy tom angles! Good luck TMe, I hope you solve your immediate issue and in time get your technique to the...
  8. L

Least responsive heads?

Take a deep breath my friend. Being rude to strangers isn’t going to make you any happier. The OP can try some of the suggestions in this thread and see what happens. My suggestion might help - it’s not the first time I’ve encountered this recording issue - but of course it might not be the...
  9. L

Least responsive heads?

The question is about limiting the need for recording compression to mitigate inconsistant technique. So this is about reducing the difference between the quietest note and the loudest note. As a drum’s quietest note is largely unaffected by head choice/shell thickness/wood type (it’s mainly...
  10. L

Least responsive heads?

Hydraulics are a good choice. Something else you could try which would make a much bigger difference is taking off the bottom heads and playing as concert toms. It’ll make the drums less responsive and reduce the dynamic range.
  11. L

Any light feel Hi Hat suggestions for my problem ankle?

Thanks for your advice everyone. I got the Pearl flat base stand in the end. I lowered the angle of the footpedal by relinking it to the chain and it’s got a great feel.
  12. L

What is Your Dream Snare?

My dream snare is one that only exists in my dreams: 13” x 6.5” Bronze Black Beauty
  13. L

Tama IC 900 hi-hat: Lever Glide vs Velo Glide

It’s an old thread, but I’m now wondering the same thing as I need to find a light action hi-hat for a bad ankle and wonder if the lever makes a difference?
  14. L

Hi - I thought this might be the case but I saw this that says the opposite. I wondered what you made of it?
  15. L

I’m struggling with my left foot. I play an old DW5000. I’ve cleaned out all the old grease but it’s still making my old ankle ache - it feels quite heavy and sluggish. I play heel up and down (increasingly heel down). I wondered if anyone had experience of a very light feeling hi hat (or one...
  16. L

Yo what pedals are you guys rocking?

As the technology gets more and more advanced I keep trying new pedals hoping it’ll improve my playing, but I keep on coming back to an old Iron Cobra Rolling Glide fitted with ceramic skate bearings on the main axle and a Canopus Speed Star on the spring (with a Zorro beater). I can play faster...
  17. L

Sonor wires?

The wires that come standard with the Benny Grebb snare are the best I’ve ever had. I cut them down to 14 stands and they have stayed with me long after the drum moved on.
  18. L

How do I develop good INTERNAL time?

This is great advice ^ and embrace it 100%. At the same time, everything changes when trying to keep time when other humans are involved. Things that have helped me in the past: Play for the music and listen to the melody - sing it if you can. It’s a more reliable indication of the correct...
  19. L

Technique priority

Thanks! I don’t hear that often : )
  20. L

Technique priority

I’m getting confused just reading this thread and I’ve been playing for decades - there’s so much information out there it is hard to know where to start! As a right handed drummer, the single best thing I’ve ever been taught for my left hand is to play hi-hat/ride pattern with my left hand as...