Search results

1. G

How many toms you got

I have played with just two ( when I was just starting some 60 years ago) all the way up to six. I settled on two up and two down about 15 years ago and that is my go to, regardless of gig. Seems to work well for me and I would only change this if stage/set up space was very limited.
  2. G

Outdoor gig rainout blues

I was asked to fill in this Sunday afternoon for a outdoor show. A local sound/stage company will be handling that side so I am not sure if their stage is covered. Right now there is only a 8% chance of rain but, as we all know, that could change in a heart beat. The one thing that won't change...
  3. G

Using one set of drums for playing everywhere?

I have used the same kit for gigging for the last 10-12 years. Over the years when I was in multiple bands, I had 3-4 kits to distribute to where we would practice, so that was nice. Down to just 2 kits now. One is a practice kit kept at the rehearsal/music room of the main band I play in. The...
  4. G

Anyone Have Experience Playing Drums After a Groin Hernia Repair?

I had double hernia mesh type surgery about six years ago (I was probably 60). I was not actively gigging at the time but started light playing within 2-3 days; no issues.
  5. G

One Year No Booze

Congratulations Ryan! 31 years for me this month; as others have said, one of the best decisions I have ever made!
  6. G

Double header - am I nuts?

I have done it a few times over the years. Most times there was a little more time between gigs (and further drive times!). The last time was about three years ago. I was about 63 at the time and I didn't notice much difference stamina wise from the time previous to that. I was fortunate in that...
  7. G

The Beatles - Get Back Documentary

I still have one of those thrones that my dad got when he bought a new set of Ludwigs in 1966; you are so right.......not very comfortable or stable!
  8. G

Street player Danny Seraphine

Absolutely agree......politics!
  9. G

Street player Danny Seraphine

Three sides to every story.......I have heard/read all this. Danny has admitted he was not innocent in all this but.....neither were the rest of them! I heard multiple live tapes from his last year with the band; didn't notice timing issues that would warrant a firing. He is 71 now and still...
  10. G

Replace a Famous Drummer to Make the Band Sound Better

They did replace him and the band has never been the same! Of course, after Terry Kath died and he was replaced, they were never the same either!
  11. G

List of 500 top drummers

Obviously, I am missing something here......as others have said, I am generally not a fan of "best list" but for kicks and giggles, where is the list of 500??
  12. G

Danny Seraphine

That is very unfortunate! I never had much contact with him while he was still with Chicago, even though I attended every concert they had relatively close to me from as far back as 1972 (While he was in the band). I have had many interactions with him for the last 15 years or so. Every time, he...
  13. G

The History of Chicago

Too bad the sound quality is not better; they are a killer band! At this show, former Chicago guitar player (who came in after Terry Kath died) Donny Dacus was sitting in. Long time keyboardist and singer Bill Champlin was with the band at this time, as well.
  14. G

Best Cover Ever?

I'm A Man - Chicago
  15. G

Songs With the Bands Name in the Lyrics

Chicago- Artist Take Me Back To Chicago- Song Chicago XI- Album
  16. G

Danny Seraphine

Been a Danny fan for 50 years! I have met/spoke with him many times over the years; truly a very genuine, humble and kind man! I saw him with CTA a few months ago in south Florida; still a monster behind the kit!
  17. G

Who are the top three drummers you admire and why ?

I saw his show in Florida about a month and a half ago and he can still play at a very high level and he will be 72 in a few months!
  18. G

Who are the top three drummers you admire and why ?

1) Another vote for Danny Seraphine- monster overlooked/underrated player, even to this day! 2) Steve Gadd- Mr. Groove; love his playing on anything! 3) Steve Smith- Not a Journey fan but love watching him play other genres. Can play anything and always looks so relaxed and in control!
  19. G

Steve Smith is out of Journey once again.

Never been much of a Journey fan so I don't a lot about the history or internal band politics. I am a huge fan of Steve Smith's drumming and, from what little I have heard him speak, he appears to be pretty intelligent and somewhat business savvy, Because of this, it would be hard to imagine him...
  20. G

Are there any high-quality recordings with calf heads?

I believe you are correct here and when he returned to playing he initially used the Fiberskyn type heads. I saw him about a week ago in Ocala with his band CTA; he still plays with such passion and he has a great group of players in that band!