Search results

1. Supraman5x14

When changing course on drumhead selection...

Thought I'd put this out for discussion, although I know it's subjective. In general terms, when deciding on switching to a new type of head, and you're not sure you want to spend too much time and money, what size drums do you suggest one refit first? A 12" or 13" rack tom, a snare drum, or a...
  2. Supraman5x14

Collarless Snare Head with Deep Snare Beds

I have a snare drum with rather deep snare beds that I can't seem to get a sharp, focused, and crisp response from. It's a thick-shelled maple drum with 45 degree bearing edges. I'm now using a Remo CS on top which is fatter sounding than the Ambassador it had originally. But would a collarless...
  3. Supraman5x14

Floor Tom Sustain

I have two Ludwig Classic Maple floor toms,14×14 and 16×16, in my set up. The 14" has sustain all the way to Mars. The 16" doesn't have as much. I've tried to even out the sustain and decay between the two by adding tension, top and bottom, to the 16", but the 14" still rings longer. Is this...
  4. Supraman5x14

Happy Mother's Day!

First, to all you moms on the forum who happen to be drummers, Happy Mother's Day! For the rest of us, do any of you have any good stories about your mom's support for your musical ambitions that are inspirational and, would like to share? While I know my mom wasn't always thrilled with the...
  5. Supraman5x14

Modern Drummer Magazine March Issue

Like many of you, I have been a long time subscriber to Modern Drummer magazine. On March 11th, I received an email stating that, due to COVID-19, their printer was unable to get the issue out for the normal delivery timeframe. Have any of you received such an email? I received this on the...
  6. Supraman5x14

Promark Changes

Was just cruising the ProMark drumsticks website and noticed they have streamlined the site, as well as, their lineup. Their lineup is now split into a Classic line of forward balanced sticks, and, rear balanced sticks. Gone seems to be the Select Balance designation per se, along with, a...
  7. Supraman5x14

Drum Set Configuration and Finishes

Is it me, or do some drum set configurations look better with certain finishes while not so much with others? I never liked big set ups with WMP, but love it with a four piece kit. What are your favorite configuration/finish combinations? Any "fashion violations" that stand out?
  8. Supraman5x14

2020 Modern Drummer Festival

Will anyone be turning into the Modern Drummer Festival? Looks like a stellar lineup that kicks off at 8:00 ET tomorrow night. I figured for $13.00 it would be worth it to watch from an informational and educational standpoint.
  9. Supraman5x14

New Pedal at Sweetwater

When looking at direct drive pedals, I ran across this one at Sweetwater. Anyone know anything about it? Where it's made and by whom? I see it's convertible to direct drive. Was considering a Tour Series by Gibraltar because I don't want to spend too much on a Tama, Yamaha, or Pearl that I...
  10. Supraman5x14

Drum Set Re-wrap

I'm considering re- wrapping my 1999 Ludwig Classic Maples. I bought them used, and 4 of the 6 drums appear to have been wrapped as there are bubbles around some of the lugs and cracks in the areas of the grommet holes, along with, Oyster Black pearl that is mismatched. Considering going with...
  11. Supraman5x14

Ron Vater Passes

Just read this sad news...
  12. Supraman5x14

New Zildjian i Series

New line from Zildjian's website... https://zildjian.com/new-zildjian-cymbals Not sure what alloy though.
  13. Supraman5x14

Most Underrated Snare Drums

So in the years I've enjoyed mostly perusing Drummerworld, I've gotten a pretty good sense of what my fellow drummers and percussionists like in snare drums, and what seems to be popular. For me the most underrated metal snare would be the Ludwig Bronze Supra in both smooth and hammered...
  14. Supraman5x14

Ginger Baker in Bad Shape

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/music/cream-ginger-baker-critically-ill-hospital-family-2551376/amp Sad news for sure regarding Ginger.
  15. Supraman5x14

RIP Eddie Money

Eddie Money passed away earlier today. One of the realy good people in Rock and Roll. I remember seeing him a few times in the 80's and early 90's, and have to say, he and his bands always played their hearts out. You always got the impression he really loved his fans, and received their love...
  16. Supraman5x14

Weird Acrolite

So almost six months has passed since I dipped into the used Acrolite waters. I came up with a drum that I literally had to punch the batter head off from the underside to remove it. That was strange enough, given the fact, that, the bottom head fit perfectly. I've seen drums that, when out...
  17. Supraman5x14

Evans Power Center Heads

Perhaps I missed something, but I was on the Evans website, and couldn't find Power Center heads for toms. They were listed for snares, however. Can anyone shed some light on their availability?
  18. Supraman5x14

Drum Head Shelf Life

Hello All, I was thinking about purchasing some heads on sale to put in storage as sort of a hedge against inflation. I was wondering if the materials (epoxies, polyester films) involved in modern drum head construction lend themselves to resiliency, over say, a five to ten year period of time...
  19. Supraman5x14

Cymbal Box Sets

I'm a new forum member who has not bought new cymbals in many years. I was hoping to get some opinions on buying pre-boxed cymbal sets, particularly cast cymbals. It seems to me, that, this sort of option defeats the purpose of hand selecting one's cymbals and having indiviual instruments to...