Search results

1. Rattlin' Bones

Gretsch Catalina Maple vs. Gretsch Renown-Differences?

Renown weigh a ton. For gigging I preferred Catalina.
  2. Rattlin' Bones

Jazz drumming

+1000. Start with learning to swing on ride, and rely less on hats. Rely less on playing the 2+4 on snare. Listen to everything Art Blakey put out.
  3. Rattlin' Bones

Found This On YouTube, Can Not Deny The Logic.

I've now for last several years set my kick at that angle because my feet naturally point to right (kick) and left (hats). I started doing that after watching videos of my playing at gigs and noticing how - if kick centered - my body was naturally pointing to right to compensate.
  4. Rattlin' Bones

DW Performance Kit vs Tama Superstar Classic Kit

Not sure I agree about hardware.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

Off Brands

I'm having quite a bit of success using "off" brands. Off may not be the right word. Maybe "not-the-major" brands. Our combo plays once a month at a venue in a very limited space depth wise, with a short wall in front of us. I looked at two-legged hi-hat stands and they were pretty expensive...
  6. Rattlin' Bones

Musical Boundaries Being Redrawn

The Dead did "Bluegrass" because Garcia's roots were in folk, playing banjo and mandolin, before The Dead. "Ragtime" came out way before any kinda honky tonk. It's more the opposite. I think the proofs of your thesis are flawed.
  7. Rattlin' Bones

First Gig With New Jazz Trio Tonite Set Lists

If you look at pic of us set up at venue, you can see I'm on one end. Bass next to me and guitar on other side of bass. Singer way on other side. The kick is just a very thin like 4" wide Farmer kick single head. Not enough room for normal kick. The space is only about 4 feet wide maybe. Guitar...
  8. Rattlin' Bones

This weekend will be our next gig at same upscale champagne/ wine venue. Several people in audience of our 1st gig there last month tested positive for COVID, so we could not practice the next week following COVID protocols. I tested negative and so did bass and singer, but guitar player and his...
  9. Rattlin' Bones

If you look at my set lists you'll see notations relative to brushes red and blue.
  10. Rattlin' Bones

Hi Hat set up, bottom cymbal

It allows the cymbals to contact on just one side before completing contacting - giving that classic hat sound.
  11. Rattlin' Bones

Hi Bo!!! No, Streisand is not in our repertoire right now. Most of what we do is from Great American Songbook and jazz standards, with a few exceptions like Moondance and Makin' Love. Gig story: Last nite before first set and before patrons started showing up for their 7:30 reservations I...
  12. Rattlin' Bones

The red = VF Live Wire yes! They're louder. The blue brushes are just plastic bristles I use them when I'm only stirring the soup on snare and not doing anything with cymbals: Promark B400. They're pretty much just like VF Jazz rake brushes from what I can tell. But they're blue. They retract...
  13. Rattlin' Bones

We pulled it off splendidly!!! Weather was perfect, the place was sold out and packed for both sets, and in my opinion/ the venue owner's/ the patron's opinion's we sounded great. "Cool grooves", "you guys played some great jazz that I don't often hear live" were some of comments from the...
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Pics of course I'll have pics lol 😁
  15. Rattlin' Bones

That's my plan exactly. The guitar player wanted me to take some full solos which would be 32 bars, but I said right now I don't have enough to say with my snare and cymbals to fill 32 bars :oops: I did buy a wood rim block for the Latin tunes, and also for cuter tunes like Blue Skies and Sunny...
  16. Rattlin' Bones

I'm a bit nervous. In the jazz world the musicians are so good they know most of the tunes or if they don't a simple chord chart is all they need. I'm not a full-on jazz drummer it's relatively new for me, so this combo is a great opportunity since they're not demanding anything complicated. And...
  17. Rattlin' Bones

I have first gig with our new jazz trio tonite. Playing tunes mostly from Great American Songbook. Myself on drums along with jazz guitar and electric bass. We also have a singer for most of the pieces. My drum kit is very limited because of space - just a snare and very thin 4" kick (yup - one...
  18. Rattlin' Bones

Ebay question

You're using the eBay payment system to pay via a CC so it's very safe. Heck that's a lot safer than calling shoppe and giving them CC info over the phone. Plus, that would be an eBay violation you'd circumvent eBay and they would not get their fees.