Search results

1. D

Show Off your SONOR DRUMS.

Yes it is, and I was on the lookout for a second hand one for ages as well... Then I got a good discount on a new one so bit the bullet.. Great snare!
  2. D

I owe the IRS for 2018..

A guaranteed base income for all people would allow simplification of rules around taxation, benefits etc. There have been some promising case studies but I think it'll be a while before the notion will take hold.
  3. D

Show Off your SONOR DRUMS.

Brass snare arrived yesterday, very happy with my collection.
  4. D

Football Soccer World Cup

Oops... sudden death to this thread...
  5. D

Musing on snare collecting

I read somewhere (was it here?) that, when your focus moves from what's in your collection to what's not (yet) in your collection, it may be time to ask yourself some questions... Happened to me with Yamaha signature snares; they've all moved on now.
  6. D

Color trends

Paint technology has come a long way too
  7. D

Who uses 13" hats?

My 13" K Mastersounds are my preferred hats. Used to have 13" K Custom Darks; unfortunately I sold those, they were great as well.
  8. D

What did your practice sessions look like starting out?

From about the age of 15 I played along to Police and Supertramp albums on my “kit” consisting of cardboard boxes for a few years before I sat behind a real drum kit. I remember I didn’t know you had to put your foot on the hihat pedal.. I didn’t hear about rudiments until about 20 years later...
  9. D

Weird Al Trailer

Nice interview with Al in The New Yorker this week.
  10. D

DW sold to Roland?

Let’s just hope Elon Musk doesn’t buy Roland
  11. D

Crosstowners.......update?

Great suggestion, thanks v much :)
  12. D

Crosstowners.......update?

Love mine as well, only comment I would make is the attachment of the top of the hihat rod to the base section is a bit iffy, there’s nothing to grip when screwing it in or out, like other Yamaha stands. But other than that, great set.
  13. D

What's up with Sonor's marketing decisions?

I'd like to know as well. If I see any Prolite kits advertised in Australian shops their bass drums are all 17.5" deep which means they're built before 2019.. And re cost: I enquired at a local dealer about getting an standard 18" Prolite bass drum in fiery red (to add to my kit that has a 22"...
  14. D

Bass drum hoop protector alternatives

I Use a Dixson bass drum lift for both my 18" and 22" bass drums. Works fine and less hassle.
  15. D

A financial band situation, just wondering what others think about this…

Turn the equation around: this band member looks after supplying a decent and working PA and you pay them $250 for it. That's it: never mind what they paid for the equipment, how long ago, etc. As long as the product hasn't deteriorated and this band member vouches to ensure they'll always...
  16. D

Experimenting with bottom hat felts

I saw Return to Forever in the Sydney Opera House years ago and Lenny White’s hats almost went flying that’s how loose they were. Bottom hat would tilt to nearly 45 degree, I’d never seen that but it sounded great.
  17. D

TV shows or movies that didn't hold up through the test of time for you.

The director would have asked “just play your natural self”… I don’t think “The A Team” has aged all that well…
  18. D

Movies about Music

That one is called "Yesterday", very enjoyable. I always liked "Round Midnight" (by Bernard Tavernier, with Dexter Gordon), "The Fabulous Baker Boys" (Michelle Pfeiffer and the Bridges' brothers with a cool Dave Grusin score) and "Amadeus". Also "Inside Llewyn Davis" by the Coen brothers is...
  19. D

Are High End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

I don’t play out much, and am not a very good drummer, but very much enjoy playing my Sonor Prolite kit (that I bought used) whilst marvelling at the build- and sound quality. And I believe (or fool myself into thinking) I sound better on this kit than on my old Export.