Search results

1. alparrott

A little extra thump

Yeah, but we have no ready source for them in town unless a school somewhere owns some. We're equidistant between Seattle and Spokane, and rental plus gas would almost negate my profit margin...
  2. alparrott

A little extra thump

We've got a keys player doing samples, unfortunately. I need to figure out a better way to do it next year...
  3. alparrott

A little extra thump

The annual Christmas benefit concert is here, and for the second year in a row I'll be holding it down in the Performing Arts Center. The show opens with an instrumental of "Carol of the Bells" inspired by Mannheim Steamroller, but a lot more tom heavy. Right before the intermission, we'll be...
  4. alparrott

rdavidr Videos

Yeah, he's definitely among my favorites. I like to tinker with my drums myself, and I have also enjoyed watching his production values and playing improve over the years. He also makes me laugh a bit. What's not to like?
  5. alparrott

Cheap (inexpensive) vs high dollar snaredrums....

I've owned any number of "cheap" snares that sounded great when given some TLC, decent heads and snares, and tuned to their strengths. I've heard any number of snares from any price range that sound like a biscuit tin with a bunch of pebbles in the bottom. Three snares that come to mind for me...
  6. alparrott

If Not Noble and Cooley, What?

I'd find someone selling a used Guru snare of nearly any size and material.
  7. alparrott

Drum gear you don't like the looks of but you like the sound of it

Oversized hardware. Sonor's old, huge bass drum mounts and Mapex's magnetic tom mounts certainly fall into this category. Also huge, gaudy badges. (Mapex is again a prime suspect for this particular crime.) I also dislike overdeep bass drums and double-width bass drum hoops.
  8. alparrott

What's your latest purchase?

Well, I love my new Ludwig single tom mount, but the down tube going into the bass drum was way too long. I think the down tube is like 18" total. A pain to pack and it adds unnecessary weight. So I enlisted the help of my friend Micky, who is the lead faculty member of the machining program...
  9. alparrott

Can someone help identify this DW5000?

Looks like a Turbo to me (although it's hard to see). The sprocket on the Turbo is larger and more symmetrical than the Accelerator. I'm not aware of any huge changes to these pedals in the last 7 years, so it's about as modern as one you'd buy new. It looks to be in very good condition. New...
  10. alparrott

Vintage Tama Swingstars

I've never had luck with any telescoping spurs at any angle. They never seem to keep the drum steady for me. I replaced the ones on my Standards with gullwing-style Gibraltar legs; I'd do the same with any player-grade bass drum that had telescoping spurs. And I wouldn't buy one that was better...
  11. alparrott

Great video of my band last year

Unfortunately our bass player, Joe, moved away and that was pretty much it for the 509s ... he was the band leader, sound guy, and had all the connections for the gigs. But we still have the memories and the videos! This was taken at Benson Vineyards in Manson, WA above Lake Chelan late summer 2021.
  12. alparrott

How does Nandi do it?

Talent, practice, and a ton of charisma. I have been following her since she first challenged Dave Grohl to a drum-off, and I have to say, she's a breath of fresh air in this cynical, false-faced world of ours. Here's hoping she keeps it real, the sky's the limit.
  13. alparrott

Gigging Hearing Protection - Recommendations

I simply don't do a show without IEMs anymore. At all. If the venue or sound system is (somehow) not set up to send me a feed for IEMs, I will use a small mixer and patch in guitar amps and bass amps. I will put a mic on the kick to hear myself in the mix, and maybe a mic near the vocal monitor...
  14. alparrott

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

Hell, I want one too. I'm the utter wrong person to talk you out of it.
  15. alparrott

Drum Center Portsmouth - USA made comparison

Loved this video. I was really taken with how round and open the Classic Maples sounded - not that there was a bad set in the bunch. (Except maybe the Gretsch bass drum sounded a little thin in the head-to-head.) I appreciate the time (and humor) you guys put into all these videos. Cheers!
  16. alparrott

Just spent a little more money. I've been considering doing a bass drum tom mount for a while on my Standards for ease of setup and teardown. They're already deep player grade, so it wouldn't really affect anything. After some deliberation I decided on the single tom mount with base plate over...
  17. alparrott

Just picked up a new snare bag for my Ludwig Standard snare. Amazon is selling these Pro Tec Heavy Ready gig bags for under $30, easy purchase. My old square vintage case was falling to pieces and not car-packing friendly.
  18. alparrott

Stand for Ride Cymbal

Most boom stands in that price range will last you at least that long. The Yamaha boom stands I bought in 1998 are still in use 24 years later.
  19. alparrott

Zildjian A Custom 14" hat bottom AND Dark Hat top?

I have never really used a conventional pair of hi-hats. I currently use a medium-thin A Zildjian Z-MAC as a top cymbal and an A Custom Mastersound as the bottom cymbal. I say try it? If you don't like it you can always trade one or the other out.
  20. alparrott

Happy Birthday Andy

Happy birthday friend. Enjoy this, the one and only, highly coveted Birthday Goat™ , from these shores to yours.