Search results

1. River19

Holy Grail of the Drum World?

So, as a musician I watch, follow, read etc many musicians and always find classic gear discussions really interesting whether it is trying to find and buy classic Neve Consoles or the constant search for real '59 Les Pauls or '57 Fender Bass guitars........ So what is the drum equivalent? I...
  2. River19

This Silly Snare......

........it just works better than it should. I normally try to avoid posting day in day out minutiae akin to "I pooped today" but........ As some of you recall I picked up this rewrapped older Ludwig snare a month or so ago to add to the stack of options. Since then, I have found it works...
  3. River19

Nordic Shells Becoming the "go to" Shell maker?

Heard on good authority that Keller is unable or possibly unwilling to keep up production as the drum shell business is a small portion of their overall portfolio. Rumor has it Nordic is becoming the go to for ply shells not currently made in house. I have been following Nordic for a bit as I...
  4. River19

Let's Talk Kick Drum Mic's & Mixing

I have had the home studio up and running for a couple months now and cut probably 40-60 songs over that time with overall positive reaction on sound etc. One thing that I have gotten really good comments on was how low and "punchy" my kick tone is. The bulk of that is due to the awesomeness...
  5. River19

Classic Ludwig Snare Identification

Hey, I just picked up (shipping in transit now) a re-wrapped Ludwig snare which I believe is from the 1960s but could use a little help identifying what it could be. 8 lug 14 x 5 or 5.5" Keystone badge "Ludwig Drum Co Chicago USA" Interior looks to me like Mahogany with maple re-rings It's the...
  6. River19

What are you playing today? (Music not gear)

So we have the venerable threads of "latest purchase", "what are you listening to" etc. but I can't recall one for "What are you playing today?" so I figured I would throw it out there...... Since we all are players and while the 100s of threads on gear clearly are fun to chat about I was...
  7. River19

OK I'm an Idiot....Adventures in Recording

So far with the new studio setup I have completed maybe 40 tunes or so......been pleased with the results so far but occasionally I have hated how much attic I was getting from the 12" tom. I chased down the "thwap" a little bit by swapping out clear EC2S for a Coated Emperor, ok a little...
  8. River19

Possible New Snare Build.......need ideas

Every year to 18months I get the itch for a project, which usually results in me building a snare of some sort in the Spring........ To date I have built out the following: 14 x 6" Maple ply Keller shell 14 x 7" Walnut Stave (relatively thin) 14 x 6.5" Cherry Ply (Love this drum) I also have...
  9. River19

New Hendrix Walnut Ply Kit

As some of you probably saw, on a whim I picked up a virtually mint Hendrix Walnut Ply shell pack (22/12/16) that was listed 30mins from my home. I had no need for another kit, but always kinda wanted a walnut kit because,......well....walnut. I swapped my Tama Starclassic out carefully like a...
  10. River19

Avoiding or Removing "hiss" from my recorded tracks......help

So, as some know from a previous thread I have recently built out my recording setup and I'm running some test tracks and playing around and while I am getting really decent drum sounds there are coming with a decent amount of hiss which is pissing me off. I'm running SM57s, Beta 52 and Rode5s...
  11. River19

Random Thought of the Day - Practice Room Lighting

Call me crazy (been done before) but I hate playing in bright lights. Maybe I just like mood lighting but after years of playing in clubs etc with dim lights I have always dimmed the lights and or played by Christmas tree lights etc. when practicing or jamming with friends. Granted others...
  12. River19

Home Recording Setup - Gut Check my Plan Please

After building out the basement and my office/studio over the Summer, the next phase is an updated/new soup to nuts recording setup for both demos and online collaboration. Here is what I am thinking of as I need to purchase basically everything after getting out of the old 4 track Vestax...
  13. River19

After 32 years w/P-880P......a DW9000...initial thoughts

As the title says.......as I mentioned in another thread (Latest Purchase) I played the last 32 years with a Pearl P-880P double pedal but the past 20 years in mostly a single pedal configuration. It was time for a replacement after that served thousands of hours and many gigs. I picked up a...
  14. River19

New Snare Build.....Need Some Ideas...

Thinking about another snare build from a premade shell, done 2 so far and have the itch for another project one. So far I built an 8 lug 14x6 Keller Magnum Maple using Gretch Catalina hardware as my first build in 2015 then moved onto a really nice 10 lug Daville Walnut stave in 14x7 with...
  15. River19

It is New Drum time.....

So it is about that time.......new drums time.....or additional drums I should say. Been playing a Starclassic Performer Birch (the original 2003ish) kit 8/10/12/14/22 and while I have no complaints with the kit, I have been playing it in the 1up 1down 12/14 configuration for the past year or...
  16. River19

Head Recommendations - Birch Tamas

Been playing my 8,10,12,14 2003 SC Performers as a 12/14 1up/1down setup for several months now and I'll admit with these drums I have always been a plain vanilla Pinstripe guy......Evans Genera G1s on the bottom.... I don't have any complaints on the sound per se but now with only the 12 and...
  17. River19

After 33 years......I appreciate 1 Up 1 Down

After playing 5 to 7piece kits for the past 33years and only occasionally playing a 1 up 1 down configuration for the odd jazz or small venue gig I have spent the past 4 weeks playing my kit as a 1up 1down 4pc while we redo the basement and I love it......WTF haven't I done this before? I take...
  18. River19

CL For Sale - Gretsch Round Badge Kit

Don't know the seller, but saw this and thought someone might want to take a look at it. Nice kit. decent condition. https://newlondon.craigslist.org/msg/5360971035.html