Search results

1. MrWriter

V-Drums Hi-Hat stand messing up my technique?

Ok, here we go. Yamaha HS850 hi-hat stand arrived, but the footboard angle is so steep it's like walking up a bloody steep hill when your foot is just resting on it. So I ordered the Yamaha HS1200 as that has an adjustable footboard angle setting. New Yamaha HS1200 Hi-Hat stand arrived, after...
  2. MrWriter

Which of these Hi-Hat stands?

Yamaha 850 arrived, but I didn't like it as, for me personally, the angle of the footboard was a little too steep, feels like my left foot is walking up a steep hill. So I've returned it for a refund and have the HS1200 coming, £100 more, but has an adjustable footboard angle so I'm hoping it...
  3. MrWriter

Is this possible on an acoustic kit?

Dave, my place is not cold and it has superb acoustics ;) Yes, Chris, mad expensive, not sure why.
  4. MrWriter

Chris, not near where I live. Village halls near me are a total rip off at best. Village halls seem to think they are London conference halls these days and they seem to think everybody who is going to rent it is Bill Gates. My local village hall charges £15 per hour, plus vat for the small one...
  5. MrWriter

Ok. My reasoning for buying a used kit and using it for a month then selling it on is it would be cheaper then renting studio space. I’m based near Cambridge in the UK and there are little to no options within 30 miles of here. I’m actually 25 miles outside Cambridge. I figured I’d learn up...
  6. MrWriter

I'm not sure I'll be allowed to submit an exam video with the silent cymbals and mesh heads - has to be traditional so I need to figure out the best way to quieten down an acoustic kit without interfering with the sound nuances.
  7. MrWriter

Ok, all, sorry for the vague title to this thread, but it's all I could think of. Here goes. I currently only own a Roland TD-15 (heavily upgraded) electronic kit, but I now have to buy an acoustic kit, but there are a few caveats. The reason I need an acoustic kit is because I'm working on...
  8. MrWriter

New Yamaha hi-hat stand arriving tomorrow, should, hopefully, at least feel smoother and more responsive, and I'll do some tweaks in the module and hopefully that combo will get me closer.
  9. MrWriter

Thanks, guys. Just ordered the Yamaha HS850, given I have a Yamaha 8500 pedal - might as well match them up ;)
  10. MrWriter

There are no hat adjustments in the TD-15 that change the issue I'm having. I really do have to start to open the hat before hitting it or, like what C. Dave said, it will sound as a closed hat.
  11. MrWriter

I'm looking to get a better, upgraded, Hi-Hat stand to replace my budget Mapex model. There are two reasons I want to change my cheap Mapex hat stand, first, the footboard on the Mapex is just too darn long for my liking. My heal rest not on the heel rest, but about an inch up the footboard...
  12. MrWriter

Interesting, iCe, but the issues you mention are not a concern for me. I know the nuances of an acoustic kit can't be recreated on electric, but these are not my problem, my problem is simply having to open the hi-hat well in advance or I get a closed hi-hat sound. Also, I'm using the Roland...
  13. MrWriter

So, is this just how electronic Hi-Hats on a traditional Hi-Hat stand are or is there a fault or set-up issue with mine? I have a Roland V-drums kit, decent one, with a Roland VH-11 Hi-Hat mounted onto a Mapex Hi-Hat stand. The trouble I have with this (and I’ve heard from a V-drummer friend...
  14. MrWriter

Recording audio directly from TD-15 into iPhone?

Apple Lighting to USB with audio interface did not work so I ordered the iRig 2, will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a more basic version of the Roland you have, Mer, will see...
  15. MrWriter

SPD-SX Pro

Well, that's super, perhaps you can move on from this futile debate then. I mean, something about my comments has got you upset enough that you keep coming back to post time and again. Just my thoughts and opinions, Chris.
  16. MrWriter

SPD-SX Pro

Not true. I never get gear for free. Review kit is loan only, companies never give kit like this away and I'd never ask. Everything I review gets sent back. I have not asked Roland for one to review. I'm sure they would send me one if I asked, but even if they didn't I'm good friends with a few...
  17. MrWriter

SPD-SX Pro

No issue with Roland. I've spent about £1,500 on used Roland V-drum kit in the last six months alone.
  18. MrWriter

What's up with my 'brain'?

Like that. Makes sense. I must admit, I had a problem playing due to the uncomfortable feeling that I was going to fall off my drum stool. My old stool was only 20 inch across and with my heal up kick technique I felt like I would slip off the right edge of the stool. I've since bought a Roc N...
  19. MrWriter

What's up with my 'brain'?

Anybody else have this issue? I consider myself fairly ambidextrous but with certain hi-hat kick patterns I find I lose the timing and rhythm of the kick due to my right hand crossing over my body to the hat. However, if I play the same lick with my right hand out to the right on the ride I...
  20. MrWriter

SPD-SX Pro

Again, this brings me back to I don't describe it as cheap and prone to damage' never did, never will. What I said was, to me, it felt a bit tacky and plasticky, which is something a little bit different. Hope that's clear.