Search results

1. R

The Black Beauty on records

According to evidence provided by Ian Piggott, Chad Smith used Gretsch USA Custom drums (square badge), Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, and a combination of a Tama 3.5x14 bell brass snare with massive bell brass die-cast hoops and a 1970s-era Black Beauty when recording Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The...
  2. R

The Black Beauty on records

I read the same thing: Chad used a BB, 5x14, on Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic.
  3. R

Are Birch Drums the Best for Indoor Acoustics?

Funny you say this because I plotted out an SQ2 birch bop kit (birch is the least expensive SQ2 set, with beech next, and maple the most expensive), and with a lacquer finish it is basically the same price as an 18/14/12 Vintage Series kit. Kind of insane, that. I would expect the Vintage Series...
  4. R

Are Birch Drums the Best for Indoor Acoustics?

In the "talk me out of it" Starclassic W-B thread, I believe TK1 made a comment about loving high-end birch Sonor drums and how no matter the ceiling height, they sound good. Shane of Drum Center of Portsmouth also made this observation in one of his videos (see 3:45 mark in video) about Sonor...
  5. R

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

What Sonor set do you have?
  6. R

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

Just a footnote: Don Gunn, the player in the video, no longer uses that Tama Superstar Classic, by the way. He let go of that kit and a Jenkins-Martin in order to get a big set of Starclassic Walnut-Birch.
  7. R

When Are Drum Shells Too Thin?

Yes, I played on a Maple Custom at university and those drums were revered by a lot of professional jazz drummers I got to meet. They were incredibly heavy--toms were 7-ply/7mm, floors and bass drums 10-ply/10mm. I remember carrying the floor tom from the concert hall was really difficult--felt...
  8. R

What kind of Yammies are these?

Yamaha pro drums often appear at jazz concerts. I've seen a lot of Maple Custom Absolutes or Maple Customs used at festivals and universities. Sometimes you see DW drums at the festivals, and Pearl drums appear in a lot of video footage from jazz festivals in the 1990s, Canopus at jazz clubs. I...
  9. R

What kind of Yammies are these?

Just about everybody was using the Recording Custom 9000s back in the 1980s: Devo, The Smiths, The Cure, Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl. Hugely popular drum set.
  10. R

When Are Drum Shells Too Thin?

I've been researching drum shells and have noticed that Nordic's maple/gum shells are 6-ply/4.5mm. Are those shells too thin to withstand high tunings over time? Or is it safer to go with 8-ply maple shells that are 5.4mm thick? Neither shell has re-rings. Most industry standard 6-ply maple...
  11. R

Perhaps Silly Bearing Edge Question

Hovland: Is your company's website working?
  12. R

Here is a Gretsch USA Custom set with double 45 bearing edges on the toms and snare: I am guessing that the apex of the edge contacting the drum head is gumwood, because Gretsch shell is M/G/G/G/G/M. Sounds pretty good to my ears--a bit of a variation on the 30-degree Gretsch sound, not the...
  13. R

New Brooklyn’s….silver sealer?

DW Jazz Series do sound good, but they are so overpriced. Gretsch USA Custom satin finish can be had for just under $3K. I don't think I've ever seen a new DW Jazz set satin finish in the high $2Ks. All the current DW Jazz sets are well over $3K. Mike Clark: "That's the joint." :ROFLMAO:
  14. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

For the Tama Starclassic Walnut-Birch can't-do-jazz-tuning debate, I offer the following demo, which within the first 40 seconds suggests, I think, the possibility that the drums might sound good tuned up high (listen to 12 tom in particular). The heads are clear factor Evans and the drums not...
  15. R

Ooops. Artstar already noted this distinction above.
  16. R

I think the bearing edge and ply layup is different with the Pearl, no? Pearl has 60 degree edges, not 30, and the Pearl shell has gumwood as the inner ply, while Gretsch has maple as the inner and outer ply with all the gumwood sandwiched in between: M/G/G/G/G/M, according to DCP (Drumcenter...
  17. R

I have been thinking about how Sonor has undersized shells and uses sharp 45 degree bearing edges (except for the Vintage Series, obv). Many have described the Sonor shell as having a tympani-like resonance and feel because of the undersize mixed with the sharp edge. Would a Spaun Drum double...
  18. R

I remember when Grover offered custom shops snares and I bought one, they offered different options for interior of shell: raw, sanded, tung oiled, and something that was quite similar to "silver sealer." The latter apparently amplified the shell sound by making the surface more sound reflective...
  19. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

Great drums for sure, but I am not wowed by any of the finishes. Only "rosewood" satin finish, right, and the rest are wraps (black slate/oyster, California blue oyster, silver sparkle, red oyster)? If they offered this series with something closer to older Starclassic Maple finishes from early...
  20. R

Opinions on Yamaha Yess tom mounts two-point vs. newer three-point

The Yamaha YESS II mounts can be purchased with ease, but I haven't seen the YESS III (from the Hybrid Maple series) available for sale anywhere.