Search results

1. Artstar

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

Man I hear you totally.. These are extremely underrated drums which most just throw in the lower end category.. but when you really examine what is going on.. This is Tama's lighter weight series which punches so far above it's weight. .
  2. Artstar

When Are Drum Shells Too Thin?

. IMO.. Yes.. Perfect example is that Portland percussion video you posted.. They end up choking at higher tunings IMO. Even the Keller 10 ply I bet would sound better as it is just a hair over 6mm . .. Have you heard the original Yamaha Maple Customs...
  3. Artstar

What kind of Yammies are these?

yeah I know this.. but this has nothing to do with my point.. Read Fobz comment above.. you will start to get it
  4. Artstar

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

. Those Starclassic W/B definitely seem to favor lower frequencies..
  5. Artstar

LOL.. Of course that is the obvious with the industry.. and you just partially supported my observation so I do appreciate that .
  6. Artstar

New Brooklyn’s….silver sealer?

Let's put it behind a curtain next to this sucker.. see which one you can decipher.. I'll take this at a huge discount:
  7. Artstar

. I wanted feedback from places that have been selling this stuff since the 80's. .. The new Yamaha China pro level stuff sounds better than the Sakae stuff IMO.. but that is a separate issue from desirability. . the desirability level is not as high as it once was for the...
  8. Artstar

Not for places I do business with. .. not wacky at all.
  9. Artstar

I know they make a quality product and people order it and studios use it.. However there is no fiery desire for the pro level stuff compared to 80's/90's.. even into the early 2000's.. and to make sure my spidey sense is in tune.. I called 3 older drum shops .. they...
  10. Artstar

That means everything.. and I see Stage Custom all over.. I don't see the others.. and there is definitely no fire for Yamaha pro drums like there used to be. . It just is not there.
  11. Artstar

sure it is.. but observation is crystal clear to me. .. Look around.. feel it out on the forums.. You know it when you go in a drum shop and what people are talking about. . This equipment was in demand big time and people had to have it..
  12. Artstar

Gretsch is a majority gum shell and all those plies are hidden on the inside.. 4 gum, 2 maple. exterior/interior are maple which afaik is the most influential ply .. the interior.. . Pearl is a maple shell with 2 interior gum. 4 maple, 2 gum.
  13. Artstar

Nah.. I disagree totally.. They are not doing nearly as well and there is no hard desire like there was previous. . Nobody freaks out over current Yamaha pro drums.. 80's to 90's .. People freaked out and had to have them. I was one of them. The Tour was VERY...
  14. Artstar

Different shell construction . . and they definitely did NOT do a good job with that Pearl.. I have heard those things absolutely KILL it .
  15. Artstar

. I love seeing these older Yamaha's... The years of Yamaha being so cool and having incredible lug options.. All they had to do was leave the look alone more or less but they could upgrade the shells and suspension. It is obvious to me their upper lines are struggling...
  16. Artstar

Yamaha from China stopped shipping?

Yamaha upper level are made in Xiaoshan district next to Hangzhou.. Yamaha Stage and Rydeen made by a contractor company in some other part of China. . Tour made by Reliance in Taiwan ,.
  17. Artstar

Deleted

You could check with Hendrix out of Houston.. They don't list spotted gum but they have such a variety that I bet they could find it locally.. They build Thin stave and probably the best pricing I have seen anywhere.. Here are some vids. . the first half of each vid is cranked up...
  18. Artstar

Deleted

Aren't they ply only ? .. These guys do Spotted Gum Stave : https://www.redrockdrums.com.au/timber
  19. Artstar

Inexpensive Bop Kit Poll

Yeah I can see the potential with those.. but the first dude should of ditched that snare stand for the tom IMO.. You would of heard it open up. Third guy I don't know what he was thinking with those Hydraulics LOL .
  20. Artstar

Is Premier back?

This is a different catalog not shown before.. That is why I just posted it so you could see the Elite here : http://www.drumarchive.com/premier/Premier2008Drumset.pdf