Search results

1. A

Do people make fun of you for your ear protection?

I haven't played in a band for a few years due to various personal and professional changes. Recently I sat down to practice, put on my ear protection, and thinking back I realized that in every single band I ever played with, someone made fun of me for wearing ear protection. At the time I...
  2. A

Are the PreSonus 1824c and FocusRite Scarlett 18i20 roughly the same?

I'm looking to get a drum interface and these two seem to be the best rated. And while I would prefer the FocusRite (simply because everyone has raved about it for so long), where I live it is almost twice the price of the PreSonus. Several posts on the web have said they're basically...
  3. A

Help With a Drum Room Problem?

The ventilation is a mini split AC. The interior portion of the AC is mounted to the drywall. The drain and vent tubes are very small and run to a small offset gap in the wall.
  4. A

Perhaps not offhanded, but it doesn't seem to indicate that you read what I posted. The walls of my room do not touch the exterior ceiling. The interior room has its own ceiling, about 10cm below the exterior ceiling. It is a true room within a room, with the exception of no floating floor and...
  5. A

We're going to try putting a riser, as every little bit helps. But outside the room you can hear it when I hit one of the rack toms. There's significant muffling but if you're near the room it is audible. The tom is mounted on the kick and could technically be transferring into the floor, but...
  6. A

I don't know. A floating floor would have been great. It just wasn't in the cards, financially or in terms of available skill level. And I don't know how much it would have affected things. If you're building a drum room in a condo or a house, vibration transferring through the floor is a...
  7. A

The space between the inner and outer walls (and inner and outer ceiling) is open, about 8cm (it was 10cm but they applied about 1-2cm of polyurethane foam over the interior of the outer shell). The floor is continuous: it passes under and makes contact with both walls. This was necessary both...
  8. A

This was the first thing they suggested. They put Sonex on the inside and outside of the inner door, all around the frame between the doors, and on the inside of the outer door. The difference was negligible, but I think that's largely because of their choice for the inner door. They chose an...
  9. A

I contracted a builder to construct a drum room. It's a roughly 5mx5m room. The outside is block and concrete. Then they sprayed the interior with polyurethane foam (to seal it, as concrete and block generally has small cracks) and built another room inside out of drywall, with about 10cm...
  10. A

XLR to 1/4 inch: cable or adapter?

Do you know of a compromise between the mini one that I have (Firestudio Mobile) and this horking beast? I'm sure I could find uses for all those XLR inputs but I really would like to avoid buying a rack just to hold this thing.
  11. A

Bah, I have a Firestudio Mobile. It's a discontinued model that has six line-level inputs (1/4") on the back, two mic/instrument inputs on the front. I just expected that I could run my 5 XLR drum mics to the line inputs and have no issues, but if that's not the case I guess I'll have to look...
  12. A

After ten years of waiting and planning I finally have a drum room! And I went to set up to record my drums only to find ... I have a bunch of XLR to XLR cables, and my Presonus FireStudio has mainly 1/4-inch inputs. So I can either use the cables and a XLR-to-1/4inch adapters, or just buy...
  13. A

Drum room door question

If you have a studio that is made of an outer shell and an inner room, with space between the two, and a door on the inner and one on the outer ... what do you do for the space between the two doors? Do you just leave it open? If the point is to not have any contact between the inner and outer...
  14. A

Speakers for home studio / drum room?

What is a good solution for wiring up your drum room / recording studio for audio? I've been looking at 4.1 systems, thinking of putting four speakers up on the walls and a subwoofer somewhere, but that means either running a bunch of speaker wire or a bunch of power cables ... and I'm not sure...
  15. A

Making a drum room: recording room or not?

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm curious, how bad is the standing wave problem with Sonex on the walls? The engineers are planning to 'cancel' the corners of the room, and to further reduce waves they proposed putting several Sonex panels on two adjacent walls and making a series of Vs with the...
  16. A

That's on me. They originally had an extra 'relaxation room' to the right, and I cut that off and used MS Paint to patch up the plan. I'm not a door scientist :p When I pitched them my alternative above they kind of glanced at each other and then politely pointed out that the door doesn't make...
  17. A

I am finally realizing my dream of making a drum room, and even managed to find engineers to do it who know what it is, how to isolate a room, etc. The overall space I have for the outer construction is about 18 feet by 17 feet (5.49m x 5.30m). Their plans call for allocating about 3 1/2 feet...
  18. A

Do your doubles sound like singles?

Just curious, because I've read/heard many times that played correctly doubles should sound like equally fast singles. But in my experience, particularly on practice pads, it just seems an impossible task. Different stick pitches, slightly different sounding spots on the practice pad, etc ...
  19. A

Coming back to drums after two years

A few things I realized: - I lost a lot of hand technique (doubles, etc) but I'm surprised that I managed to keep as much balance/coordination as I did. Guess it really is like riding a bike. - Just like guitarists building up calluses, I have to power through the finger tingles and wrist pain...
  20. A

Bev Bevan and Black Sabbath

Don't get me wrong, I love ELO. But I was reading about them and, being a drummer, clicked on Bev and found out he subbed for Bill Ward in Black Sabbath (during the Dio period). Apparently he had to play live at the Reading Festival and it was only his second gig with the band, and he didn't...