Search results

1. NickSchles

5 way coordination workouts.

So over the last month I've been working on my 5 way coordination by playing elaborate foot ostinatos over paradiddle inversions and singing songs on top of that. It's been tons of fun to work on, and when adding a gap click to the proceedings, the challenge is even harder. That said, the...
  2. NickSchles

Do you practice Yoga, and have you found it's helped your playing?

Some years ago I used to teach a girl who was a proficient Yogi. Over the course of a couple of lessons we got talking about certain Yoga principles. These, I thought could be really useful for us drummers in both practicing and learning our instrument. So I wrote an article about it which was...
  3. NickSchles

I just bought a Tune-Bot Studio... What's your experience with it?

So, I've just bought a Tune-Bot Studio, and I'm very excited about it. I decided to go for it for several reasons. Amongst these are helping me keep consistent tunings, experiment with suggested tunings but, most importantly, to help me improve my tuning skills by training my ears...
  4. NickSchles

DO YOU PLAY OTHER INSTRUMENTS?!

So, here's the score... My main instrument is the drums, but my first instrument was actually the guitar... I love playing it, but I don't do it often enough. This is mostly because, for my own personal compositions, I find the process daunting and, because I'm perfectionist, the whole thing...
  5. NickSchles

WHAT'S THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS GIFT?

OK, so I got inspired and wrote a little blog post about Christmas gift ideas for drummers... You know, the holiday season is around the corner, and well, I want people to know what to get me, lol. To be fair though, the kinds of gift ideas I thought about were more on the reasonable budget end...
  6. NickSchles

Damn you, imposter syndrome!

Do you get imposter syndrome? I do. It happens from time to time, but when it does come, it's a crappy state of mind to be in, and it can last from a few hours to a whole day, or sometimes a week. I wrote a little blog post about it because I wanted to share my experience with it, and...
  7. NickSchles

GREAT PREAMPS FOR OVERHEADS?

Hi all, So, I’m upgrading gear for my recording studio (from where I do remote sessions) and looking to get better overhead mic preamps, as well as increase my inputs. What pres do you like on your Overheads? I’ve heard Daking makes great pres, and whilst my budget won’t stretch to APIs and...
  8. NickSchles

VINTECH AUDIO "DUAL 72" PREAMPS

I'll be most likely purchasing these pres today. I wondered what your experience with these are! I've done some tests on the BD, SD and OH and I dig how they sound. As far as I understand, they're Neve 1272 clones slightly modified as preamps rather than line amps. Do you have any? If so, what...
  9. NickSchles

Simple songs that are more interesting upon analysing them?

So, a bit of context… I recently posted a cover of Dam That River which I did with my band, The Mercy House. I was originally planning on playing it note-for-note, but then decided to just jam it and have fun with it. I thought it’d be more satisfying that way (it was), plus it wouldn’t require...
  10. NickSchles

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT TO YOU?!

So! I've been learning Tower of Power's "Squib Cakes" note for note the last few weeks using David Garibaldi's Off The Record book. I'm currently half way through the 7min+ beast. Now, before tackling the next half, I'm going through certain sections / fills / grooves and refining them by ear...
  11. NickSchles

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE ROOM TO RECORD IN?

So, the other day I recorded a few drum loops in a big, lively untreated room (see one such groove below)! It made me think about my favourite studios to have recorded / worked in, and how I miss 'em. In particular, Abbey Road... The vibe and the people who work there, both engineers and...
  12. NickSchles

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE TRIPLET LICKS?

When thinking about classic Rock drummers of the 70s, I tend of think of John Bonham, Neil Peart and Keith Moon. I love all of them yet, invariably, my favourite is Neil Peart, R.I.P. That said, I’ve always loved John Bonham’s massive sound, and his creative use of triplets, be it his shuffles...
  13. NickSchles

WHAT DRUMMERS DO YOU HEAR IN YOUR PLAYING?

So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove: Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I...
  14. NickSchles

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM SOUL VACCINATION

OK, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself because I've done a drum cover of Soul Vaccination by Tower Of Power. I've been studying David Garibaldi's playing for a few months now, and I find it's doing my playing a lot of good. All the way from time and feel, to technique and coordination, and...
  15. NickSchles

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN LANGUAGE AND RHYTHM

Don't know about you, but I've always found the connection between language and rhythm fascinating. Words have their own inherent rhythms (i.e. syllables) that we can use to string together rhythmic passages / phrases. Without wanting to go into detail, there are some fantastic articles and...
  16. NickSchles

SIX STROKE ROLL CREATIVE APPLICATIONS! :)

Every so often I get the opportunity to write for a website or magazine. The latest was an article I wrote for Drumhead Authority where I break down a creative funk groove I came up with based on a Six Stroke Roll. In it, I go through the concepts I apply to the rudiment to in order to get to...
  17. NickSchles

How many of you are self-taught?

I actually started my drumming journey on my own, without any guidance. I started playing along to songs on my own... I learned by listening to music, and watching people play on TV or live, and just experimenting. Lessons and structured learning, oddly enough, came much later. That said, my...
  18. NickSchles

REFLECTING ON TEACHING AND LEARNING DRUMS ONLINE

So, I've been reflecting on the whole online drumming education thing. Having been teaching online for a year has been a great experience because the approach to it is different, in my opinion, to face-to-face. Now, of course, there's more than one way to skin a cat. And yet whilst things like...
  19. NickSchles

DRUM TEACHERS: HOW DO YOU HELP STUDENTS UP THEIR GAME?

Right, so I'm passionate about education. I get a massive rush seeing my students progress and develop into, not only drummers, but musicians. As such, I'm always thinking of new ways to get my students more engaged and enthused to play, and enjoy, music. Ultimately, the more people we get...
  20. NickSchles

WHERE DO YOU DRAW CREATIVITY FROM?!

So, as a teacher, over the years, I've found that students can sometimes struggle in finding inspiration or struggle to develop their own creative ideas. I understand, of course, because we've all been there at one point or another. With that in mind, I wrote a blog this month with some ideas...