Search results

1. Q

I will have to put my list of Snares to buy on hold..... The prices are crazy nowadays!

I thought I could have a nice Star Reserve, the Copper one, I have no copper snares with my Anniversary and Christmas cash from my Mom but I'm not sure at al! In CAN$ it will be 1700. Plus 12% taxes = 1990 CAN$. As Murat/Drummers hang out said, is it really that much great up to 1900$? I feel...
  2. Q

The guy who sold to me my Tama Royal star...and all of his snares...

I talk a lot about him because I learnt a lot from him as well, especially before coming to Drummerworld or Drumforum...And just found some pictures of his wall of snares...I think he sold quite a few to pay off some mortgage he wanted to finish faster but still, I never seen that much in my all...
  3. Q

Need help to buy in USA the Proline Utility snare rack

Hi Guys, I spent one hour with musicians friends to buy the following, ion the good advices of CBPhoto: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/proline-snare-utility-rack hey have a 24% promotion "Rockoctober" currently running at 25% but I cannot having it shipped to Canada. I cannot...
  4. Q

Is it normal?

That my main Snare, which went up to B3/247 tunebot in hertz (is it too much by the way? It was in 3A# and went up in summer to 3B#), is at 3A/222 hertz when I strike softly it with the snares on and back to 3B when I strike it heavier? It doesn't change whithout the snares though... Let me know...
  5. Q

Tuning a snare 15"x8" like a floor tom

Ok so, I received my Summit snare Walnut 15"x8" and I started to use the tunebot website to try to put the snare at E2, like it would be a 15" floor Tom but they gave me 110 hertz at the top lug and 156 to 185 bottom depending on the resonance I want, more difference between heads leads to less...
  6. Q

MAPEX Snare? Why not....But which one?

Hi Guys, I'm thinking to try a Mapex Snare as they seems to be nicely made and well placed price wise' I have seen 3 that could interest me (See below) but which one? Any opinions? let me know. 1) Black Panther Shadow Birch/Walnut (I have no Birch snare) 2) Black Panther Design lab Craig...
  7. Q

Best size for Rosewood and Purpleheart Snare?

Hi, I still have in mind to get 2 wood snares, one in Rosewood and one in Purple Heart. While I was quite certain to have bought the correct size for my first Maple snare (I wanted a "Cracky" snare) at 5" and my Sendan Snare (Mahogany wood family so, more low end thus, better in a deeper size)...
  8. Q

Does it make sense...2 questions:

1) To have my 13"X5.75" Sonor Benny Greb Signature brass tuned higher that my Tama Star Reserve Solid Sendan 14X6.5? As I said in a previous thread, the sendan that was in F#3 has went up to G#3... So, now, it's higher than the Benny Greg while it's a snare deeper that the Benny Greg. I know...
  9. Q

Tunebot and snare wires bed

Hi Guys, So, I'm pretty good at using the tunebot and usually, I'm at only 0.5 hrtz green max from the reference one recorded for the lugs. With my 8 lugs snare, I can do the same with the 4 lugs around the wires like the others but today, with the Starphonic, anytime I raise the snare bed lugs...
  10. Q

Gap and ceiling cloud

Anytime I read a post on drums cloud, it always says, if cloud is 2" thick, the gap between it and the ceiling should be 2", if 4", then gap is 4"... Why always the same? Could is be 3" thick, that I have and 4" gap? I think I had read that the gap could not be more than the thickness of the...
  11. Q

Height is the overhead mics in a normal room

Hi, I have my overhead around 18" above my last cymbal, there is more room between them and the ceiling and I will have a cloud installed pretty soon. I have never worked with a ceiling, should I put the mics close to it so, they will pick up more ambiance and not going to take the ceiling...
  12. Q

12", 13" or 15" Hihats for my collection

Hi Guys, So, I start to know well what I need as snares and rides for my small collection of each but I feel I could have few more Hihats too, especially in the other sizes listed in the thread title. I have only 14", Meinl Sand Hats Benny Greb signature, Meinl Foundry Reserve Hats, I know, I...
  13. Q

What kind of Microphone on a 15"X8" snare/Floor Tom?

Hi Guys, So, just few days before receiving some extra cash to order my Summit Drums Walnut 15"X8" that I will put between my 13" rack Tom and my 16"X16" Floor Tom. I got this idea with the Tama Star Reserve 15x8 Maple Bubinga that was presented by Robert Sput Searight but some of you told me...
  14. Q

Best signature snares

Hi Guys, As you may know, my goal is to have a small collection of 8-10 snares and I have already received great advices from you. I just realized that Pearl has a super nice aluminium Dennis Chambers signature snare that I was not aware of. I wasn't specifically planning to get signature snares...
  15. Q

Maximum size for a left hand side ride?

Hi, I have currently a Meinl Foundry Reserve Ride 20" at this position, previously, it was the HHX Grooves ride that I thought, felt? That was a little too big or maybe too heavy, so, what would be your maximum size and maximum weight on a left hand side ride? Also, I have 5 spots for rides in...
  16. Q

Small collection of Rides

I have asked the same in the last about a small collection of Snares ne got a lot of very useful answers to the points that I already know which snares I want for my collection of 6 to 10 wanted but I have few questions about Rides: 1) After snares, is rides the most collected items in the...
  17. Q

Mixing Drums

I was just reading a article on this topic stating that you should base your mix either on the overhead or the close mics. I understand what it means but how do you make this decision? Is classic rock more an overhead mix, pop more close mics mix, jazz, overhead mix, Funk?? Etc your thoughts and...
  18. Q

Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride, close to Paiste Dark Energy Ride, in 22"?

Same thing as usual, I think I like the Paiste but at 600$, that's tough while the HH RBDR could be found for 250$, what do you think?
  19. Q

Paiste Dark Energy 17" Crash versus Sabian HHX X-Trem Crash 17"

Hi guys, I was thinking to buy a Paiste DE Crash 17" to go between my DE Crash 19" and the DE 15" (It's a 16" cut by a pro because of a small dent/crack, got it for 150 CAN$, super meat). But today, with an inventory sale at my usual store, they have a Sabian HHX X-Trem crash 17" that seems to...
  20. Q

Aston Halo Reflection Filter as a ceiling cloud for Overheads?

Hi, I was planning for a while to buy a Aston Halo Reflection filter for vocals and found one used, well, like new, for 200 Can$ instead of 400. They have a second one, same price. I was thinking as well to use it behind my LDC in front of the Kick Drums but realized as well that, because my...