Search results

1. rhumbagirl

The Last Kit

Everything was going good until you got the Sonors in the picture. D@MN!
  2. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

Rehearsal tonight was 4.5 hrs with about 1.5 hrs of eating dinner and small breaks mixed in. So that's 3 hours of playing time. Since I don't have a practice space, and I don't have to haul drums, I'm thinking that's not too bad of a deal.
  3. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

Wow, I haven't had to do that in about 3-4 yrs. That would probably be a show stopper for me. I have enough drumsets to keep one everywhere - rehearsal, truck bed, practice space - but even that becomes a hassle.
  4. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

Yes unfortunately.
  5. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

In 5 rehearsals we've put together two sets of material, so there's that to consider. What's unknown is whether the guys can recall material during a gig and how well they perform in that situation. I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I don't think they can sight read music, so there's...
  6. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

Is it possible he's thinking that a rehearsal that ends late in the night is helping prepare the band for late night gigs? Sorry, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. As for why *my* band needs 7 hours, I'm thinking they're trying to get to know me to make sure I'm not a narc...
  7. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

They've violated that already but the guest list has been getting smaller each rehearsal. The first two rehearsals had the other drummer, a 300 lb guy with a 250 lb build of solid muscle, trying to correct my *crooked* wrist during some push pull hihat work. Oh brother. I dealt with him by...
  8. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

I'm definitely taking that into consideration. I'm making connections with more serious musicians in the area during the local jams. So there's that kind of exposure. But the guys in the band are super fun to be around. Down to earth and they accept me for who I am. I still share my GPS...
  9. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

They also have another band that's using the rehearsal space and they want me to *substitute* for the other drummer. That other drummer is contributing cymbals and a kick pedal. I should refuse on the basis of unneeded tension. Combining the two bands is more people to pay, more complications.
  10. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

I'm probably going to put up with what I can put up with. I don't have to haul drums. I don't have a practice space. I don't have cash flow and I don't want to work a normal job if I can gig and get paid. Life is too short.
  11. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

Agree. Viral load is an important factor. Even if one is vaxed with good health and solid immune system, if the viral exposure - aka time window - is great enough, it could put you at increased risk. And who knows where the edge is for the new more dangerous Delta variant. Wow it's...
  12. rhumbagirl

Three or Four Hours

So what's the typical band rehearsal going for these days? I'm not talking about pay to play, but rather time duration. The band I joined is a 3-person blues/rock band. They do a bong break and cook food, invite friends, and the whole ordeal is lasting 7 hrs. Is it reasonable for me to ask...
  13. rhumbagirl

nervous about the first drum lesson

It's a cash flow problem right now. I'm simply trying to maintain at this point until that changes.
  14. rhumbagirl

nervous about the first drum lesson

Sounds like everything's working out. If nothing else, I think you'll find that having an outside observer analyzing your playing on a regular interval will be helpful. If anything, having weekly goals will keep you practicing daily which is what makes a good drummer. I'm 55 with a career in...
  15. rhumbagirl

Where are you technically supposed to sit on your throne?

Ah, I was assuming the throne seat with the back rest was the stationary kind rather than the swivel kind. Are they all swivel type? And yes, if you play traditional grip on a conventionally oriented drum set, you will twist your torso in the direction of the hihat when playing the hihat...
  16. rhumbagirl

Where are you technically supposed to sit on your throne?

For me, I see my throne as nothing more than a anchor point to keep weight off my legs, but I'm on the edge, leaning into the drums. It may have something to do with traditional grip style, playing conventional - left hand on snare, right hand on hihat - on a conventionally oriented drum set...
  17. rhumbagirl

Returning to gigging... how are your experiences?

"Hey I wanna catch Delta Variant this weekend! How much are the tickets?"
  18. rhumbagirl

Cocaine

In the course of getting to know the other members of the new band I joined last week some have alluded to doing lines. I'm already overlooking the bong use between sets. Should I run out the door as fast as I can or stay until it actually becomes a problem (eg people late to a gig, stuff gets...
  19. rhumbagirl

Which forums have you stopped visiting/contributing?

Reddit. I think the interface was difficult to use. But I only went there to discuss politics during an election cycle. Twitter is my new favorite forum. Although it does start to become useless once the number of people you follow reaches critical mass. I think I used to ignore the...
  20. rhumbagirl

Yo what pedals are you guys rocking?

I've been playing a Jojo Mayer pedal over the last couple of weeks that's part of the rehearsal space backline kit. It's too early to tell if it's the pedal or my willingness to put up with something because I don't have to haul drums around. So far the recordings sound great so it must be...