Search results

1. D

long term storage issue with pads in cases?

very helpful, thanks!
  2. D

long term storage issue with pads in cases?

sometimes you'll see an old case, with foam pads that over time stick to/adhere to, actually bond to :) the drum or rims in the case. Anyone ever experienced that? Should these cases be avoided for LONG term storage? thanks
  3. D

Any experience with Q Drum Co.?

i've had 4 Q drum copper snares - they're heavy, well-built and will last ...check out Reverb for a few examples
  4. D

Can you tune my Jazz Fest like this?

interesting - never thought of that! and you're right - rim shot land
  5. D

will try your thoughts tomorrow - today I tried unsuccessfully all the Hz and tuning scenarios kindly offered by everyone (including just for fun as Fritz said, a tiny bit of gel, which i never do) and it just ain't happenin'... so I'll try your lower reso later, though I believe what you call...
  6. D

excellent thank you
  7. D

yes, my thoughts exactly re: muffling: though Fritz F probably suggested that (for which I thank him) only because of my snare buzz complaint, but not what I need to do the Luddy jazz fest Ringo's using is ringy, metallic in sound, but rich and full body which I love (so does penny lane and...
  8. D

thanks for thoughts on snare bed - this week asap will try loosening the 4 snare bed lugs - I had tightened them very slightly more than others, but maybe loosening more than others, might do it thanks very much - helpful, will try asap both of what you and Fritz wrote
  9. D

will try very soon. thanks! so loosen the snare bed lugs do you mean or tighten them?
  10. D

correct and I don’t want to muffle anything lively rita has a beautiful ring metallic rich fullness to it that I just love …also it’s got a great slap I’ve got the drum, now how to make it work yes it has an internal muffler which I don’t think is being used but that muffler doesn’t seem to...
  11. D

thanks for thoughts. yes i tried that kind of tuning, but i never use gel. this snare wires buzz crazy after hit, unless i choke it which i will never do, don’t like another thing i should mention for everyone is this snare has the 1964 snare beds. they’re not modern so is tighter reso head...
  12. D

anybody good at tuning? tried for ages to get my 2021 Luddy jazz fest 5.5x14 to sound like this - can't do it - tried 266Hz top, 399Hz bottom, then 268 top, 388 bottom - doesn't cut it and the snare wires buzz like crazy no matter what I do, centered and everything. SO, re: above link...
  13. D

Sabian Omni ride...how to clean?

Thanks so much for the replies …as always helpful information
  14. D

Sabian Omni ride...how to clean?

most will know the Sabian Omni ride is a hybrid of 2 lathings I usually use a light dusting of BarKeepers friend powder with a wet soft sponge to clean my other cymbals, but for this one, what would y'all recommend? Same as for my others, or will barkeepers friend ruin or scratch the darker...
  15. D

what's this snare?

got it thanks
  16. D

Is it a physics thing?

all good info thanks - your tuning is basically near mine too, 398Hz reso, with 292 to 300 batter, 90% of my heads are ambassadors/hazy or in some cases, Evans UV1/300 and yes I meticulously (maybe that's my problem? :) ) make sure my snare wires, which range from 16 to 25 depending on snare...
  17. D

what's this snare?

yes I know the video isn't live :) so why is the answer to almost all snare questions, "Ludwig Black Beauty"? :D but yeah, maybe in the video he's using a trick aluminum (I never would've known that, thanks) - if so, sounds great
  18. D

Is it a physics thing?

thanks Larry - physics morrisman - my wires are generally loose but not sloppy loose - the snare seems to project and is louder that way(?) sounds like I just have to get used to hitting slightly off center to get the beautiful tone and resonance I want from some of my snares. strangely...
  19. D

Is it a physics thing?

I'm sure you're right about it being a small fix (and how did you know I have sold a snare or 2 because of this :) But I've got string, got plastic, got nylon string, got grosgrain ribbon, doesn't matter - does the issue when strike dead center I'm starting to wonder if it's simply as Push...
  20. D

Is it a physics thing?

generally like to have tension on wires when I play just at the point when they touch the reso head tight enough not to rattle as if there was a loose wire - but I never get even close to choking, even when I do tighten to the point of very little extra buzz - but no matter what hitting dead...