Search results

1. newoldie

New Roland VAD103

First, they have to tilt the tom pad so it's actually playable ergonomically. :geek:
  2. newoldie

Is counting in during songs unprofessional?

Mine too. Herb says on a YT interview that unfortunately, the "whipped cream" was really shaving cream. The interviewer said 'that ruined my fantasy.' :LOL:
  3. newoldie

The 10 Best Singing Drummers In Rock History (Article)

If R&B/funk/soul was being rated, for sure Stevie Wonder would be on that list...
  4. newoldie

Is counting in during songs unprofessional?

Hal Blaine... Not the very intro but within the intro to A Taste Of Honey- 1,2,3,4 on the bass drum. And off they went.
  5. newoldie

Happy Birthday Ringo

Happy B-day, Richie!!! Your drumming is a source of perpetual inspiration. [May your hair and beard be forever dyed to project an eternal image of youthfulness.😁]
  6. newoldie

What is your “old relable” snare drum ?

1978 Acrolite. Purchased 4 years ago and it arrived in nearly mint condition. If it wasn't in that condition, I'd still use it as a go-to!
  7. newoldie

I Am Leaving This Forum

Drumolator- thank you for your honest, clear and unbiased posts which were always refreshing to read. And thank you for turning me on to a few Sabian cymbals that spurred me to buy and own, which I use regularly-- and which without your opinion chiming in, I would never have investigated to...
  8. newoldie

Greyson Nekrutman & Nick D’Virgilio Talk Big Band Drums

Just discovered GN on Sweetwater's channel. Inspiring and instructional by the youngest generation of upcoming big band drummers. Will watch more of him.
  9. newoldie

In Case you haven't Seen This.....Bermuda

Saw this when it first came out several years ago and enjoyed it. Watching it again now and enjoying it... Repeat every 3 years:D
  10. newoldie

Best ride for the money

If you describe your style(s)/genres of playing, it's much easier to give suggestions.
  11. newoldie

Jeff Porcaro on Low Down

Jeff's part can be played in a very similar manner by 1 drummer using 2 hand 16th notes. A bit tricky to get right, but it can work. There is a pretty accurate transcription that was free to download, that's been the best reference I've seen...
  12. newoldie

Sabian AAX Concept Crash Cymbal - 17 inch - Sweetwater Exclusive

Pretty good deal at Sweetwater for $110. I bought the same cymbal in 2018 from Cymbal Fusion and have used it consistently as my primary go-to crash for pop-blues-jazz. This cymbal opens quickly, and is a bit darker but more complex than the usual AAX crashes...
  13. newoldie

And The "Winner" Is . . . .

Just my opinion, but after trying both cymbals I'd have to agree with Sabian's own web site, which calls the AA Bash Ride "a Crash-Ride edition of our Raw Bell Dry Ride – but bigger and lighter!" https://sabian.com/product/221bc-21-inch-aa-bash-ride/
  14. newoldie

Recommended heads for Sonor Players 20x12 kick drum

Absolutely this. Superkick is too muted. I've used the Players kit for Blues and Rock with a Remo PS3 for the batter and a ported PS3 resonant with good results.
  15. newoldie

Removing drums from existing tracks

I downloaded the free version for PC since I hate using any phone for this type of work and prefer to save everything on the PC hard drive. Works quite well, the email they send allows you to download the separate tracks for free as well. Free version limits to 5 uploads, but I'll probably do...
  16. newoldie

Sabian SR2 "Ride"

In lieu of gaffe tape, I've used a tiny bit of clear Moongel on my 21" Bash Ride to dry it up a little bit. Usually starting near the bell is the least muffling, moving it lower down the cymbal gives more muffling.
  17. newoldie

Weighted drumsticks / BD beaters for practice

Consider Rick Dior's practice sticks. Watch this video. In addition to being the best overall drum teacher on the Internet IMO, he is also a wood worker and makes his own high quality practice sticks for sale. You will buy 1 pair for life, as they will last forever for their purpose. I had...
  18. newoldie

"fluffy" beater question

I bought one off Amazon last year and have been hooked every since. However, it was $19 last April and checking now it's still $19, but it is great quality, feels very good. Best of all, I use it for quiet practice and it has been invaluable in keeping the volume down so neighbors don't...
  19. newoldie

BEST bass drum head comparison on the internet, bar none.

Agreed and thanks for posting this. Tympano makes the best bass drum comparison videos. This is one is really comprehensive for just 1 video and makes it easy to a-b-c compare. Again, they also leave out annoying intro music, long prefaces, or commentaries-- and get right into it without...
  20. newoldie

All Things Must Pass

Really enjoyable but wistful documentary on the history of Tower Records, from its humble beginnings to tragic demise of closing down all U.S. stores in 2006. The entire movie is narrated by former Tower executives, employees and some high profile musicians. Free on YouTube.