Search results

1. johnwesley

Open letter to all forum members

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure this will be removed. I received a letter from Johnny this morning and am posting my response.....The only reason for making this public is so those I've become friends with and those who've enjoyed my posts know why I'm gone Today at 8:05 AM 10/11/2020 We need...
  2. johnwesley

I need a short cymbal stand...

I need a short cymbal stand... No....you need a taller drummer.
  3. johnwesley

I have original music I made with "fake" drums...

Actually good music for background. You've got talent with rough edges that I'm sure you'll work out as you move forward. First thing I'd work on is loop repetition. A dead giveaway it's not real musicians and makes it sound like something you'd hear on hold with your phone. Otherwise you're...
  4. johnwesley

Grams per inch

An odd but interesting question. Kind of like I wonder about snare sizes. I mean a 5x14 equals 70 but it's NOT square inches and I don't think there's such a thing as round inches. But I do wonder how that 5x14 would compare sound wise to a 4.5x15 which equals 67.5. Would the 2.5 (inches)...
  5. johnwesley

Noble & Cooley's new Union Series using Tulipwood. WOW!

Yeah it does look fun. Here's one I'd love to do.
  6. johnwesley

Thanks for the link. Something to look into for sure. Right now I'm just refurbishing already built drums for people. How'd you know about my woodworking?
  7. johnwesley

Arizona Drummer Thread

There you are again. Still like your style. Thanks. BTW, where's your studio? it's nice.
  8. johnwesley

I can’t hear the song start on the upbeat.

Try Q tips with the cotton side soaked in hydrogen peroxide.
  9. johnwesley

Floor tom sustain reduction hack worked

Pipe cleaners in the shape of question marks.
  10. johnwesley

John Good wants to make drums out of everything. Walnut shells are next, Really. The shells from walnuts. Corn cob staves. Grapevines, so as he says "It'll bring the song to life. Heard it through the grapevine."
  11. johnwesley

Ajax by Boosey & Hawkes......

Yes they did.
  12. johnwesley

Drum solo in my car.

You have way too much time on your hands. I'm not talking about drumming. Locke her up and go shopping with the family.
  13. johnwesley

My drum cave

Okay.....uh.....I'm uh....so that's your porch? Uh....you have drums on your.....uh....porch....and....there's one that uh...you don't have a tape measure to....uh....see how tall it is....and uh....gimme a minute....oh yeah there's a....mosquito on one of the uh....bass drums or something...
  14. johnwesley

A new musical find!

Not sure I can relate to the music. I do however enjoy the expansion of musical thought and innovative presentation. There is a chemistry and sincerity to what they do and I thank you for the opportunity to explore new music.
  15. johnwesley

Ajax by Boosey & Hawkes......

Anyone of you play the snare drums they were making back in the 50s/60s? I've played B & H clarinets and they are high quality instruments, but don't know about the drums they made. I've heard they are as good as Premier, which I have played. Guy in town has an Ajax B & H birch snare drum for...
  16. johnwesley

Out Of Round

I'd worry more if riding an out of round carrousel, or worse yet one of those damned tilt-a-whirls at the state fair.
  17. johnwesley

Memorable Jazz Concerts

Parents took me to see Pete Fountain in 1963. I was learning clarinet at the time.
  18. johnwesley

No More Zildjians

Can I have your old Zildjians?
  19. johnwesley

The trunks can get to about 18 inch diameter on both but generally around 14 inches is normal.