Search results

1. newoldie

Greyson Nekrutman & Nick D’Virgilio Talk Big Band Drums

Just discovered GN on Sweetwater's channel. Inspiring and instructional by the youngest generation of upcoming big band drummers. Will watch more of him.
  2. newoldie

Sabian AAX Concept Crash Cymbal - 17 inch - Sweetwater Exclusive

Pretty good deal at Sweetwater for $110. I bought the same cymbal in 2018 from Cymbal Fusion and have used it consistently as my primary go-to crash for pop-blues-jazz. This cymbal opens quickly, and is a bit darker but more complex than the usual AAX crashes...
  3. newoldie

All Things Must Pass

Really enjoyable but wistful documentary on the history of Tower Records, from its humble beginnings to tragic demise of closing down all U.S. stores in 2006. The entire movie is narrated by former Tower executives, employees and some high profile musicians. Free on YouTube.
  4. newoldie

Dave Brubeck - Take Five / Drum solo transcription

One of my favorite drummer's (Joe Morello) solo on a favorite song (Take 5), transcribed (and shown visually on sheet music) while being played by an excellent drummer on a jazz drum set. It's easier for me to soak in drumming transcriptions while reading the music in addition to watching the...
  5. newoldie

Off The Record with the drum doctor

Interviews with drummers, by Ross Garfield, The Drum Doctor. Just discovered this YT channel and loved every interview he's currently posted (I think its a relatively new channel). "Here, you can spend some quality time with the world's most renowned drummers, listen to their stories, find out...
  6. newoldie

Phil Rudd explained by Malcolm Young in old interview

Interview is from around 2000/20001. Interesting to hear MY explain how integral Phil Rudd was to creating "their sound" vs. the other drummers that had played with AC/DC. That his style swings more and the others were "stiffer." Quite the compliments and endorsement that PR was "It" and they...
  7. newoldie

How to Rivet a Cymbal

Rick Dior is a professional drummer/teacher that has the most incredible instructional videos on perhaps the widest range of percussion/drumming topics by one person anywhere on YouTube- from drumming techniques, to drums, to concert band and jazz band drumming, to all sorts of gear...Whew...
  8. newoldie

RIP Little Richard

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-richard-dead-48505/
  9. newoldie

The Beatles / Yellow Submarine (Buddhist monk cover) / Kossan

3 minutes of a Buddhist monk cover, followed by 2 minutes of Silent meditation...? Very Zen!
  10. newoldie

The Cymbal Roy Haynes Gave Me

Just uploaded last week by Chick Corea. Fascinating background story about a cymbal that Roy Haynes gave Chick. He thinks Sabian is making a clone of this cymbal, to be called, "Royalty."
  11. newoldie

Tower of Power - David Garibaldi - Sound Check. 5-4-19

Always enjoy getting that behind the scenes, close up view of the legends drumming away live or in soundcheck. Instructive as well. This fun little 5 minute video gives a good glimpse of DG's gear, how he has it all positioned, some of his technique, styles and sounds.
  12. newoldie

Buddy's brush work!

Came across this beauty on YouTube. Watching this effortless, precise brush playing closeup was not only a kick but really instructive!.
  13. newoldie

No Nuts?

Anyone tried these cymbal sleeves yet? They look like they'd get the job done well sonically, replace the usual cymbal stand accessories, and simplify setup/break down. (OK, let the jokes fly if necessary. I didn't name them!;))
  14. newoldie

Zildjian Then and Now: A Comparison of Vintage and Modern Cymbal Sounds | Avedis (Part 1 of 4)

"Master drummer John Riley plays and discusses Zildjian Avedis cymbals with director of cymbal innovations Paul Francis." Fascinating stuff-Wow!!!:cool: [and good marketing/promo by Zildjian...;)]
  15. newoldie

Buddy Rich the Singer: "Eventually...I want to get away from drums altogether..."

1955 Voice of America Radio interview with Buddy-
  16. newoldie

In depth Ringo Interview- Modern Drummer 12.1981

Really lots of juicy details and his personal insight into his drumming, The Beatles, gear, etc. A hidden gem of an article (I'd never come across before). :cool: https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/december-1981-january-1982-ringo/
  17. newoldie

The Weight! Featuring musicians from across the world

Wow- I thought this cover was equal in greatness to the original song by The Band- this time it's collectively performed by Robbie Robertson, Ringo Star and many other amateur musicians from ACROSS the world. "Playing For Change We’re excited to share our newest Song Around The World, “The...
  18. newoldie

RIP GINGER BAKER

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/06/765781758/ginger-baker-cream-drummer-and-force-of-nature-dies-at-80
  19. newoldie

TOP 20 DRUM INTROS OF ALL TIME (Rick Beato)

Not that I agree with the choices-- but as usual, Rick's videos are fun and instructive. Here, he has a friend of his, Jack Jones, play out the first few measures live of each intro.
  20. newoldie

Anyone used(d) Stick Gripps?

I checked out some sticks at GC the other day that had these gripps on them and was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they felt. I don't know if they might be a bit tough to use on sticks for a complete gig, but in the store they seemed non- chaffing. I've found for the past few years that...